Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nearest track to me is about 2 hours or more and being from the north we have a pretty short season, that being said I dont expect to spend a lot of time at the track. I really need to work on my launch and shifting before I go anyway or I will just embarass myself (hehe, this is my first stick). One Things that totally surprised me about these cars is the ride and handling. Its a very smooth ride for how well these little cars handle but there is always room for improvement. With that in mind what kind of goodies to we have to increase cornering etc?

G

·
So as you can see..there doesnt seem to be too many people going nuts in the handling department :)

I raced a heavily modified road racing 87 mustang 5.0 for abit and I am sure the new Cobra will need a Strut Tower Brace and also a G Load brace and Panhard bar. Some good springs that lower and firm up things and some real shocks. Give Kenny Brown a shout. They are very good at this and have tons of products to make that baby scream around corners. Get subframe connectors too. Caster Camber plates are a must too.

Here is a link to some of the Mustangs I have owned...including that 87 Road Ripping Stang. I got most of my goodies from Kenny Brown. Even had a 6 point Rollcage from them. Had Cobra Imola Seats with 5 pt harness too.

http://members.aol.com/Magsurv2/index7.html

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I went with BBK Springs, Caster Camber Plates, FRP Subframes and afs 18 inch wheels. Handles like a dream. I can't sense any body roll ever. I was pleasantly surprised that the ride didn't get too firm either. It still feels relatively stock. I would like to get a chrome strut tower brace just to finish the deal and dress up the engine compartment a little more. I just get tired of hearing the Z06 boys talk crap about handling. With not alot of money on these handling issues (except 2500 for 18 inch rims and tires) I can't imagine being out handled by anything. The car is tight and responsive, and no sense of the weight ratio being as far off as it is. The springs were $600 installed, the plates were $400 installed and the subframes were 200 installed. Actually feels like a race car. Anyway, just my .02!

It's worth the dough to beef up the suspension!

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

sambandit, did the BBK springs lower you at all? One thing I worry about is the lower valance on these things, I can see it becoming a problem if we go to low.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Yeah, they lowered it. I can't say how much but probably 1/2 inch to an inch. That's fine with me because I don't like the slammed look. I did put the 18's on and thought it needed to get lowered a little. I think in stock trim it's already an inch lower than the 01 Cobras so the stance is already pretty sweet. But I think even that 1/2 inch made a big difference. I have the longtubes as well and probably only 3-4 inches of clearance but so far no probs. Even leaving my driveway no rubs. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
Give Kenny Brown a shout. They are very good at this and have tons of products to make that baby scream around corners.
I personally stay away from anything Kenny Brown makes and if you talk to most people at Corner-Carvers they would agree with this. If you want to make a car handle right you need to give Maximum Motorsports or Griggs racing a call. They are the two most respected manufacturers of suspension equipment for the Mustang platform.

That being said I have everything that Maximum Motorsports makes for suspension on our cars except the tubular k-member on my 03 Cobra and the car handles awesome. The difference from stock is a massive improvement on a vehicle that was a massive improvement from previous platforms. There are different levels that can be done and it all depends on what you are looking for and what you expect to spend. I would say the most important first parts are strut tower brace, full-length subframe connectors, urethane swaybar bushings and end-links, and IRS bushings. Second would be caster/camber plates, aluminum rack bushings, and coil-over. Third would be new higher rate shocks and struts. Last would be modified front LCA with polyurethane bushings, tubular k-member, solid steering shaft, and roll cage. Maximum Motorsports does not have a strut tower brace out yet and I am waiting for this.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toofast4u said:
I personally stay away from anything Kenny Brown makes and if you talk to most people at Corner-Carvers they would agree with this. If you want to make a car handle right you need to give Maximum Motorsports or Griggs racing a call. They are the two most respected manufacturers of suspension equipment for the Mustang platform.

That being said I have everything that Maximum Motorsports makes for suspension on our cars except the tubular k-member on my 03 Cobra and the car handles awesome.
I just hit their website and didnt see anything for the 03 cobra, is theiw web catalog outdated?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
I just hit their website and didnt see anything for the 03 cobra, is theiw web catalog outdated?
Everything for SN95, 95 and newer mustangs, works on 03 except for certain parts. The 03 Cobra has basically the same parts as SN95 models except for the IRS which is obviously different. Everything I listed before they sell a version that will work on the 03 Cobra except for the strut tower brace which is not ready yet. I have all of the parts listed before except for the tubular k-member, strut tower brace, and roll cage installed on my car and did the installation myself so can answer most questions about them. The funny thing is everybody including Maximum Motorsports said my car has a race suspension and both my wife and myself are completely satisfied with its daily drivability and comfort. It is not as compliant as stock, but that is not what I wanted. It's ride quality is equivalent to a M3 now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
toofast4u said:
It's ride quality is equivalent to a M3 now.
I have everything that toofast4u has except the lcas and sport struts instead of his race struts. The car is very neutral, firm, and controls in manner that makes you wonder how they did this with a fairmont chassis. ;) I traded in a '99 M3 with a turbo and I have to say the car feels just as fast/comfortable (handling wise) as the M3 did. I would still take the M3 over this car on the track but not by much now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
I raced a heavily modified road racing 87 mustang 5.0 for abit and I am sure the new Cobra will need a Strut Tower Brace and also a G Load brace and Panhard bar.
I wanna see you put a panhard bar on a IRS.:eek: :D :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
my project list

toofast4u, I've been follow your post here and on other boards about your suspension setup. Did you install the coil overs and front springs? You did the coil-overs in the front also? Heres what I'm starting the suspension list in this order. 1)GRC subframe full length. I just got in the mail and they look great. 2) next would be springs and shocks (coil-over) unsure of with kit and spring rates. 3) offset rack busings caster/camber plates and alignment. 4) IRS busings (unsure what needs busings). 5) 18 rims and tires. Thats my game plan. K-memeber would be amazing but that alot of money IMO, but might be worth the time and money.:confused:

·
Registered
277 Posts
By the way and PICTURES.:D

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Re: my project list

brad65 said:
toofast4u, I've been follow your post here and on other boards about your suspension setup. Did you install the coil overs and front springs? You did the coil-overs in the front also? Heres what I'm starting the suspension list in this order. 1)GRC subframe full length. I just got in the mail and they look great. 2) next would be springs and shocks (coil-over) unsure of with kit and spring rates. 3) offset rack busings caster/camber plates and alignment. 4) IRS busings (unsure what needs busings). 5) 18 rims and tires. Thats my game plan. K-memeber would be amazing but that alot of money IMO, but might be worth the time and money.:confused:
I have coil-over on the front and back. The coil-over are springs mounted on the struts/shocks and replace the springs from the conventional location. I have 425 Ibs in the front and 650 Ibs in the back coil-over on my car now on MM Bilstein Race Struts and Bilstein 00R spec shocks. Bingo is running a softer configuration on his car and is happy with it. You "have" to go with aftermarket caster/camber plates when you do coil-over and I highly recommend the MM plates as they have 4-bolts instead of the usual 3 bolts. The factory caster/camber plates will fail with coil-over. The problem is on the SN-95 body the 3-bolts caster/camber plates are not sufficient to support the increased weight of our platform and don't provide an even load across the mounting surface. This has caused several failures and is very dangerous if the caster/camber plates fail then the car will crash on the ground most likely at speed braking or turning. I don't recommend offset rack bushings unless you change your K-Member and instead I recommend going with MM Aluminum center rack bushings which are on my car. Also you should do the MM IRS bushings and Steeda differential bushings before the alignment as the car will have to be 4-wheel aligned after they are done also. I personally prefer the Griggs K-Member which is 765.00 which really is not a lot of money considering it does modify the front-end mounting points, decreases the front end weight dramatically around 30 Ibs, and provides much greater engine access. I am going to be doing the k-member when I do long-tubes.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Re: Re: my project list

toofast4u said:
I personally prefer the Griggs K-Member which is 765.00 which really is not a lot of money considering it does modify the front-end mounting points, decreases the front end weight dramatically around 30 Ibs, and provides much greater engine access. I am going to be doing the k-member when I do long-tubes.
Great info toofast, a couple questions for you, please bear with me since in a noob when it comes to these cars. Ive compiled a list of parts as follows as a start, the little car handles great (I say little because Im used to driving my lifted 2002 supercrew:)) but Im a handling and power junky and want to do what I can without getting to radical. I dont know if I will ever hit a course with it so dont need an all out race car but I would like to imporve it where I can.

What I have on my list so far is....

$199 - MMCC9994-C MM Chrome Caster/Camber Plates
$149 - MMFL-3PC MM Full Length Subframe Connectors
$39 - MMST-3 MM Aluminum Steering Rack Bushing
$15 - 6-1136-BL MM Front Swaybar Bushing Set
$20 - 19-416-BL MM Sway Bar End Link Set
$49 - MMIRSU-1 MM IRS Polyurethane Subframe Bushings

Im not sure if I am going to take the step to the coil overs, but I was considering headers and since you have to drop the k-member, I was thinking of following your lead and putting on a griggs. Is the griggs a direct replacement or do I need to have other stuff in addition?

Would diff bushings be a good idea as well? I didnt notice any on MM site, steeda has them but they stop at 2002, will they work for the 03 and if so are they a decent product?

Any recomendations on shocks would be appreciated as well. As stated above im looking for better handling, mainly for street use as well as a means of reducing wheel hop.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Re: Re: Re: my project list

Originally posted by Shadowgray03
This is what I have for suspension on my car now.

Maximum Motorsports
MCC9994-C MM Chrome Caster/Camber Plates 249.00/kit
V36-4138-MM1 Front Bilstein Struts MM Race Spec 539.90/pair
COP-1 Front Coil-over kit w/425 springs 369.00/kit
19-408-BL 1994-02 Mustang-Swaybar endlink 4-1/4" 19.95/set
6-1136-BL 1979-02 29mm-Swaybar bushings 14.95/set
MMFCA-7 Front LCA Non-offset Urethane 349.00/pair
MMST-3 Aluminum Steering Rack bushing 39.00/set
BE5-2959-W0 Rear Bilsten Shocks 00R spec 215.90/pair
COP-4 Rear Coil-over kit w/650 springs 429.00/kit
MMIRSU-1 1999-03 Cobra IRS Bushings 49.95/kit
MMFL-3PC Full Length Subframe powdercoated 149.00/set

Steeda
324-IRS-100 99-00 Cobra Differential Bushings 39.95/set

The only part I would question about before doing it again would be the front Race Struts. In the morning when they are cold and you are first leaving they have a stiction thing happening and act completely solid. The car actually feels like you have a bent rim or something. But after about a mile they are fine and work great. When I bought my set-up they had not tested the rating of the stock struts, but did believe they would be stronger then the 00R spec, which suck, and probably around the sports. So you can probably keep your front struts I would just replace the rear shocks to the 00R. I highly recommend the coil-over they are one of the best suspension components. They not only make the car handle better, but remove the harshness induced by the conventional spring location. I also think they had a major part in ultimately removing all wheel hop in my car. If I had to do it again and had to choose I would definitely do the coil-over before I did shock/struts. Also don't buy the stock length 5" end-links you will probably be better off with the 4 1/4". I bought the 5" at first and they were to long and couldn't be modified to work. I now have the 4 1/4" on my car and they fit right. My car is only lowered 1/4" in the front. You don't need the front LCA, but they are a nice piece and weight a lot less then the stock units. The Griggs k-member can be a direct replacement for the stock K-member as it has two mounting locations for the front lca. The lower location allows you to continue using the stock front LCA. The modified location requires you to use a tubular LCA and thus coil-over as well. You will probably also need to do a bump steer kit as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts