Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 9K miles on it. I was just wondering if I HAVE TO take the car to an SVT dealer or can I go to a regular Ford dealer for warranty repairs? The closest one is 66 miles away.:mad: My Cobra I just bought used is pulling hard to the right, has a clunk in the drivetrain (more so than my ex 'ol '88 w/ 245K miles!), makes ticking type of noises from the engine, and has an idle that seems to get a bit rough then smoother then a bit rougher again? Thanks for any help/info.
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
JTSX88GT said:
I have 9K miles on it. I was just wondering if I HAVE TO take the car to an SVT dealer or can I go to a regular Ford dealer for warranty repairs? The closest one is 66 miles away.:mad: My Cobra I just bought used is pulling hard to the right, has a clunk in the drivetrain (more so than my ex 'ol '88 w/ 245K miles!), makes ticking type of noises from the engine, and has an idle that seems to get a bit rough then smoother then a bit rougher again? Thanks for any help/info.
Joe
No you can go to any ford dealer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
mine is having the engine replaced at a Lincoln Mercury dealer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ford customer service said to take it to the closest SVT dealership. The local Ford dealer won't touch my Cobra so I went ahead and drove the hour to the closest SVT dealer, they gave me an Enterprise rental '03 Corrolla, some consolation, but I guess it's wheels.:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well got my car back today from the SVT Ford dealer, the idle seems better, they said they updated the computer's programming, aligned the front end, and couldn't detect any abnormal ticking sounds coming from the engine w/ the stethoscope nor find anything abnormal that would cause the detected clunking noise in the drivetrain, so the sounds they heard have been classified as normal. I gave them a printout of the TSB's I've been able to find. So they supposedly followed those procedures. But it does still drift to the right, well, more like a slight drift, but at least I can get away with letting go of the wheel w/o making a lane change, lol. Does all this sound reasonable or should I continue complaining?:D
 

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
JTSX88GT said:
Well got my car back today from the SVT Ford dealer, the idle seems better, they said they updated the computer's programming, aligned the front end, and couldn't detect any abnormal ticking sounds coming from the engine w/ the stethoscope nor find anything abnormal that would cause the detected clunking noise in the drivetrain, so the sounds they heard have been classified as normal. I gave them a printout of the TSB's I've been able to find. So they supposedly followed those procedures. But it does still drift to the right, well, more like a slight drift, but at least I can get away with letting go of the wheel w/o making a lane change, lol. Does all this sound reasonable or should I continue complaining?:D
Sounds reasonable to me. Try driving on the left side of a 2 lane road and see if it slightly drifts to the left. Things will be normal if thats the case. I got lucky, the drift to the right was the only issue i had. Used my one alignment under waranty and haven't been back to the service line since.

gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
Non SVT dealers for some reason think they cannot work on your car, and I have had issues getting mine worked on, but the fact is ANY Ford Service Department can work on it. I called SVT and verified it.
Eric you are so right, some dealers are plain fuggin stupid. I tried having my Lightning Serviced at a Non SVT dealer and was refused, yet they had Harleys on the lot :jawdrop The stubborn/ignorant Service Manager said they were totally different. :shocked Needless to say, I called Ford Customer service and they were even more useless. Sometimes the bean counters need to eliminate some of the channels and just use common sense.

BTW- I was trying to use a Non Svt dealer because chances are they will think the Pizza Pan lower pulley is stock :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,260 Posts
I agree John

I was cruising around town one day and my driver side window motor went out and a big ass rain cloud came up. So I drove into the local (non SVT dealership) about having it replaced

The service manager assured me they could not work on my car. So while I was there I called SVT, and the guy at SVT wanted to talk to the service manager, when I went to get him he refused to talk to SVT, but changed his attitude and fixed my window motor. My thing is, what is so different about SVT products that no one but SVT dealers can work on them? That is stupid. The 4V engine is in the Navigator, Aviator, Marauder, Mach 1, etc. All non SVT products. Its not rocket science.

Needless to say, all dealerships can work on your SVT, you gotta be persistant. Its just a pain in the ass sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, ok then this is SVT's phone number right?

1-800-FordSVT

If it is, I NEVER get an answer, it just rings & rings.:mad: :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
sonicblue said:
mine is having the engine replaced at a Lincoln Mercury dealer
As I posted before. Svt even pays for the loaner!

They are all Ford dealers. Actually for engine problems Linc merc has more experience than Ford dealers since they have been using the 4 cammer since 1992
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
Needless to say, all dealerships can work on your SVT, you gotta be persistant. Its just a pain in the ass sometimes.
I don't claim to know anything about the whole "who can/can't do repairs" thing but, I assume that there is resistance for one reason or another (and I'm sure the manager being stingy/stupid could be a good one).

For example, would you want a guy that sees Cobras all day long or a guy that doesn't know what "that thing on top of the engine" is working on your baby?? God forbid they start swapping in parts from a GT.

I would gladly drive about 40-50 miles to have it serviced by an SVT Authorized Dealer.

Ya know what I mean? It would just make me feel better. But maybe it's just me. Hate to be the devil's advocate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I have seen it two ways.....first that not every dealership is "authorized" to sell the SVT products, so if they do they supposedly have trained technicians to work on them. The dealerships that don't sell SVT products won't touch them because they don't sell them.....you didn't buy the car from them.....so they really don't want to give you the time of day. Nasty little bit of "good ole boy" politics between dealerships. I have had the experience with dealerships and my family minivan! A friend of mine works in the service dept of a local dealership and admitted to the kind of practices I am speaking of. It is a shame, but a fact of life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Mustang2Be said:
I don't claim to know anything about the whole "who can/can't do repairs" thing but, I assume that there is resistance for one reason or another (and I'm sure the manager being stingy/stupid could be a good one).

For example, would you want a guy that sees Cobras all day long or a guy that doesn't know what "that thing on top of the engine" is working on your baby?? God forbid they start swapping in parts from a GT.

I would gladly drive about 40-50 miles to have it serviced by an SVT Authorized Dealer.

Ya know what I mean? It would just make me feel better. But maybe it's just me. Hate to be the devil's advocate.
Sean, you are partially correct. You are assuming that we are going to a SVT Dealer because our 32V needs replacing. We are not, Eric went to a non SVT dealer because his window didnt go up. I went in because I had a AC problem, In this case it doesnt matter who fixes it because the system is the same wheither its a Focus, Mustang or E350 Van.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
John M. said:
Sean, you are partially correct. You are assuming that we are going to a SVT Dealer because our 32V needs replacing. We are not, Eric went to a non SVT dealer because his window didnt go up. I went in because I had a AC problem, In this case it doesnt matter who fixes it because the system is the same wheither its a Focus, Mustang or E350 Van.
Point taken. In that case (AC, window motor, etc), it could be your hole-in-the-wall place down the street. I was just making the point that motor/drivetrain/suspension work being done at a place where they see SVT products all day long would likely be a better idea than taking it to your run of the mill Ford dealership.

I do agree with you though. They should definitely be able to fix something like an AC or a window motor regardless of SVT authorized status or not.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
882 Posts
I tried to get my water filled foglight replaced at a non-SVT dealership Saturday. They told me they could not take any warrantly claims on my car because it was an SVT. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Im going to ask our Warranty Admin Person what the deal is, While we are complaining about a problem here. It might not be the dealer but could be Fords system. I know that if Im not certified to work a Diesel Trucks, If replace a Turbo on a diesel Ford will not pay my dealer. This might be why we are being turned away, service department doesnt know what and what not they cant work on. Only the warranty administrator is going to know, the warranty administrator doesnt see the ticket until the work is complete.



Racerat, I would try Northside Ford in TX, they are pretty good:evil
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
882 Posts
John M. said:
Racerat, I would try Northside Ford in TX, they are pretty good:evil
Everyone thinks they're a comedian. ;)
I called SVT yesterday and they said any dealership could replace a foglight. Now the dealership just has to figure out if it's the front or the rear foglight that has water in it. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
Warranty

I have ranted and raved about the lack of service and the Po Poing of genuine Issues that should have been easy to adress under warrantee. SVT did help, still think the Dealer service Manager is *(&^$$%!%)

However, to defend Ford for a moment, I am seeing a few of less than honorable waranteee claims. Hey, if you break it doing something stupid. pay for it. If Ford messed up, Ford ,honor your warantee.

I will be be bringing my car to a local non SVT dealer for work, warantee or not.

Mike69440
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top