Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new CX Racing 31x12x3 horizontal intercooler and a used Procharger 3 core standard intercooler. I got both at a good price. I'm hearing some people say that it will not make a difference at my power level which one I use and that I am over analyzing. I would think the Procharger would have less psi drop allowing for a larger pulley over the cxracing cooler. I've read of 2-3 psi pressure drops through the Cxr cooler, and hardly any pressure drop through the Procharger intercooler. My car made 9psi on the dyno with a non-intercooled V1 S 3.6 pulley and powerpipe. I would like 10psi through the intercooler. What are your thoughts?

· Registered
427 Posts
At those levels, I would say stick with the Procharger 3-core. I am guessing this is the stock engine so you dont want to go crazy. Since you are not pushing a huge psi number, the least amount of pressure drop across the IC is better. Keep an eye on your IATs, then determine if you need to upgrade from there. @ 10 psi, the heat our of the V1 is not going to be that high.....thats why the Procharger one would be better in this instance. If you were trying to push 12-15 psi....I would say the CX-R.

· Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Procharger is rated up to 825psi. The guy I bought it from was pushing 17psi through it. The main reason for me picking it up is because I figured there would be much less boost loss than the cxracing. I would like to run a 3.33 pulley with the Procharger cooler instead of a 3.12 pulley with the cxr. Yes, stock motor shooting for 385-390rwhp.

· Registered
427 Posts
Yeah, you can push quite a bit through the Procharger....I just think the larger surface area of the CXR would be a little better cooling solution at higher psi levels vs the psi drop across the intercooler. I think you are on the right track with the 3.33 and the Procharger.

· Registered
2,993 Posts
Use the Procharger intercooler WAY before that CX Racing one. The CX racing one will have 2-3psi pressure drop, so your 10psi could drop to 7psi. The difference in cooling efficiency will only be about 15*F between the two.

I put that same CX cooler on my setup 3 years ago, and boost went from 15psi to 11psi. I now run a Treadstone vertical core (uses the same exact core as that Procharger one), and my pressure drop was only 1.5psi with a 22psi starting point.

· Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen people get good results with the CX Racing cooler and I was set on installing it, but when I saw the Procharger cooler I could not pass it up for the price. As you said the difference in iats is minimal, and the Procharger will allow me to run a bigger pulley so I won't have to worry about possible belt slip. I want to keep the 6 rib setup and stock tensioner since the motor is still stock.

· Registered
1,121 Posts
I use the CXracing and my car makes 10-11ish pounds at 6200 rpm with a 3.25 pulley. Also note I have a vortech v2. I don't know what is the difference in terms of efficiency between the v1 and the v2 blowers.

· Registered
2,993 Posts
I use the CXracing and my car makes 10-11ish pounds at 6200 rpm with a 3.25 pulley. Also note I have a vortech v2. I don't know what is the difference in terms of efficiency between the v1 and the v2 blowers.
The efficiency won't matter on your setup anyway. Efficiencies of compressors only makes a difference when running them non-intercooled, and at their max impeller speed or above, where such racers in the Renegade type classes are not allowed to use any form of charge cooling.

With a 3.25" pulley on a stockish engine and a V2, boost will be right about 13-14psi @ 6200.

· Registered
272 Posts
i was told by my tuner that a side to side doesnt cool the air as good as a alt side,and that was because the side by side only cools the bottom and the alt side one forces the air threw the middle of it, i have the cxr now but will be putting in a treadstone in the future. I think it is easier to pipe the cxr one though.

· Registered
2,993 Posts
The end tank and inlet/outlet have almost nothing to do with cooling effectiveness. It's the size/design of the actual core. My old CX racing cooled better than my treadstone by about 15-20* at full boost, but at the cost of 3-5psi. This is because the air is slowed down more, cooled longer, and volume decreases as the air is cooled, which causes restriction/pressure drop. The temperature isn't a HUGE difference. I would give up 15-20*F for an extra 3-5psi anyway of the week. This is why I chose the Treadstone vertical core.

· Registered
2,993 Posts
I have the treadstone horizontal intercooler on my car. With the cobra bumper cover on my car, I think the horizontal intercoolers look and install nicer.
Without a doubt, and the Treadstone horizontal stills has much less restriction than the CX Racing unit by far. I got lucky with vertical flow unit, and it's very symmetrical behind the stock GT cover. Took some different piping angles, but nothing crazy.

· Registered
1,356 Posts
Vert core will always produce the least amount of pressure drop, because the core length is shorter when comparing similar quality cores. The key to more thermal efficiency on a vert core is running as thick and long of a core that space permits, but keeping the "distance thru" around 6 to 8". Horizontal core will always produce the best IAT temps but its at the sacrifice of flow....and ALOT of it. Case in point....if your IAT temps dont budge from ambient during your runs/pulls...it isnt flowing shit. Just robbing you power.

The top and bottom end tank design ensures that the entire core is being used equally as compared to a horizontal core. Air is always going to want to move in the path of least resistance. Thats why you see alot of manufactures with the horizontal cores (treadstone included) installing a deflector in the end tanks to direct air to the top of the core.

· Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome! I'm excited about this Procharger intercooler. I'll keep the 3.12 pulley I bought to be used with the cxracing cooler just in case and will look for a 3.33 so I don't grenade my shortblock. 3.33 and powerpipe with the V1 S and Procharger 3 core should produce around 10psi.

On a side note, what are your thoughts about the Vortech Maxflow/Mini Race bypass? I can pick up a used one for $120 or if that falls through will get a Tial 50mm Q recirculating valve for $240. Just a little hesitant on buying the Mini Race used because I've heard stories of them not working properly. I want to have the option of venting or recirculating because it is my daily driver so if the venting sound gets annoying I will recirculate it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.