Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3517

i have heard suspicious things about them on their kits.... i have heard they are taking forever on a guys mach 1 and he is gettin upset i know it takes time but 3-5 weeks is what they said ... and i can't have my car for more than that... i don't know what i should do.. i talked to my buddy who suggested tti or cartech i don't know what i should do ?:(

later

Collin

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah because people having been waiting for IC long enough already...

They promised a kit back in January...this is the Incon BS all over again. I waited 18 months for them - others waited longer as Dave jerked everyone around....

Don't these companies get it????

Besides that there was a really nice thread on one of the other boards about their misrepresentation of their kit, their competition, and their outright inaccuracies.

Their welding and fabrication are excellent - well above most of their competition. But they did nothing to answer the questions regarding relocation of accessories, turbo placement, horsepower numbers (they were originally claiming 650-800hp on a STOCK 2v until I called BS and they changed their website to say it needs a built number, BUT they have heard of 700hp stock 2v's....give me a break....show me ONE *stock* 700hp 2v - not possible.

Interesting enough, after my posts on that other board, the IC kit mysteriously got completely re-fabricated....go figure.

I would also be extremely hesitant with their turbo placement.....

I far from know everything....but these turbo companies playing these BS games just make the market that much worse for everyone and is why there aren't many turbo modular cars on the street.

While I have some small issues with the TP kit, Brad took my constructive criticism and modified his kit for future customers....but I was told 4 weeks, and my kit was ready in 4 weeks.

TTi was supposed to have a 2v kit out last fall....still haven't heard anything about them.

My advice would be to go with a company that actually has a 4v kit and not play the waiting games unless you are prepared to wait at least 3-4x longer than they are telling you...... Experience talking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i know what you guys mean... turbo's are fun and snykpete i know what you mean... blk01cobra thanks for the site... i am not sure what i might do :hammer damn this sucks....i had my mind made up and everything now i hear about this crap... oh well i will keep everyone posted on what imma do:D

p.s it will be turbo though

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's not an easy decision.....I've been there.

I wanted an Incon kit...so much so I put a deposit on one before I even had a car for it. Then I sold my car of 8 years that was a decent street terror only to have Dave never deliver.

It was extremely hard for me to decide to go with Total Performance as I had never heard of them before. I was supposed to be kit #3 and be the first customer to do the install. Kit #2 backed out and I had a choice to make......have Brad do the install or wait for someone else to get a kit and have him test fit mine on their car...

While I still would have preferred to do the installation myself, I wouldn't change a thing. I know Brad has 2 4v kits out there and I believe he's finalized the design and fitment issues (your best bet would be to call him).

I just think that if a company is over 5months behind schedule, there are other problems (from experience). I still don't understand how these companies don't understand that they need to do some capital investment if they want their companies to succeed. You don't see ATI or Vortech supplying cut/welded tubing - that should be for the initial kit only, no matter how good of a fabricator you are. Parts should be ON HAND and ready to ship, not pay us some money and we'll eventually get around to shipping some of your kit and if you're lucky the rest later.

Just be careful no matter what you decide....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
true snkypete turbo company's are kinda...:confused: you know hard to choose. i am not sure what i might do. brad does have a nice kit... what i am thinking is that i might wait a while and see what each company has to offer since all the turbo company's are still new to the 4v ... i wou;dn't want to think i got a good deal then once i floor it i see parts coming through the hood;) . what would you recommend?
thanks pete

Collin

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would recommend starting your own company :)

Honestly there isn't enough data out there...I believe Brad only has 2 4v kits out there currently and only one is on the road. I know he was still doing minor revisions and tweaking.

However the others are even further behind....

Very hard call....

While it is very cool to be on the cutting edge of a new product, it also has its downfalls....just be prepared for them if you want to be on that edge....best unbiasted advice I can give.

As for a company, I haven't dealt with PTK. I've heard a few good stories about fox kits, and a few bad. None of these are first hand so I can't/won't comment.

Brad has treated me right as a customer...he takes constructive criticism well and I am by far not easy to please as a customer - I expect things to be done right - nothing less. There are things that he has changed based upon my suggestions and others that he's thought were a bit excessive or not cost effective at this point.

In a perfect world, Incon would have a kit out as would TTi. I think IC's fabrication is incredible....but honestly their schduling concerns me....I like that they're attempting to get it CARB exempt, I just don't think it's for a stock motored vehicle (and I am not sure if they're even making a 4v kit, I haven't checked them out in a month or two).

If you're dying for a turbo NOW, buy Brad's kit and get a good installer by you to put it in. If you can wait a bit, your options open up a bit more....if you can wait a year, you'll be in a better stance, but you won't be "one of the first"...

Only you can weigh what is more important...hope that helps...

·
Registered
331 Posts
snkypete said:
Yeah because people having been waiting for IC long enough already...

They promised a kit back in January...this is the Incon BS all over again. I waited 18 months for them - others waited longer as Dave jerked everyone around....

No, we have never 'promised' a kit anytime. We have had timelines we have been shooting for, but it is afterall a "Prototype" which means unexpected things happen.

Their welding and fabrication are excellent - well above most of their competition. But they did nothing to answer the questions regarding relocation of accessories, turbo placement, horsepower numbers (they were originally claiming 650-800hp on a STOCK 2v until I called BS and they changed their website to say it needs a built number, BUT they have heard of 700hp stock 2v's....give me a break....show me ONE *stock* 700hp 2v - not possible.
I never saw those questions. I got tired of being bashed and quit monitoring the thread. What are they? Everything has been relocated and is nearly complete, just finished up all the braided lines last week. Still have a few little items, then custom A/C lines then off to get tuned. We haven't changed our turbo placement other than to flip them 180 degrees for a new downpipe route. We never claimed 650-800hp on a stock 2v. We would never recommend pushing the stock motor over 500hp. We did add wording to our website to make that clear as we didn't want someone buying one of our systems, turning it up to 700hp and then having problems. We have it posted that anything over 500 hp should always have forged internals. No, we haven't heard 700hp on a stock 2v, we HAVE heard 750hp on a stock 4v though, for something like 60+ passes and when it finally let go it was from over-revving, not too much boost. For that story, checkout www.alternativeauto.com. I just checked that link and it appears they are updating their website. Anyway, I'm sure others here have read that same story about a Lidio's 98 cobra running 24+psi on a supercharger on a stock cobra engine...COMPLETELY stock except for shimmed valvesprings.

Again, this isn't my story, just something I read.

Interesting enough, after my posts on that other board, the IC kit mysteriously got completely re-fabricated....go figure.
Pardon? We didn't completely re-fabricate anything...at least not from website bashing pressure. I am a perfectionist....rebuild the drivers downpipe 5 times before I got it the way I wanted. That was the only major change other than flipping the turbos 180 for a better downpipe route.

I far from know everything....but these turbo companies playing these BS games just make the market that much worse for everyone and is why there aren't many turbo modular cars on the street.

While I have some small issues with the TP kit, Brad took my constructive criticism and modified his kit for future customers....but I was told 4 weeks, and my kit was ready in 4 weeks.
And these are exactly the same problems we are trying to solve. We don't BS our potential customers in any way. We are just normal guys like everyone else here...we love and live for hotrods and take pride in our work.

I don't know how I offended you, but I wish we could make amends. After all, I'm just a normal guy, a hot-rodder who was tired of all the BS in the turbo industry. I haven't downed TTI's kits in any way, in fact I have sent people there who contacted me looking for a single kit.

Keep in mind, we are working on our first prototype and these things take time...with a prototype there are ALWAYS things that pop up. I will no longer name any dates for when a prototype will be done. I sometimes give estimates, but always preface that by stating that it is afterall a prototype.

I'm on the same side that you are after all, I'm tired of seeing the customers get screwed...I was one of those customers myself at one time...which is what led me here.

We are not trying to decieve, in fact if you'd check the forums on our website, we give updates and pics all the time. When we run into a delima, we put the decision to our customers and let them choose how they want it designed. After all, we are building it for them. We keep our visitors updated, and answer questions in an open forum....that's why we have it. Talk to anyone that has ever called...you won't find a single person who has been 'rushed' off the phone...we take our time and make sure that all the questions are answered and invite them to call back or send email if they have any other questions. There's nothing more that I hate than calling some company to ask questions and they act like I'm wasting their time. That is just not right. We like to at least make sure they are well informed, whether they buy from us or not, they will make a better buying decision.

So SnkyPete, until you hear of something we've done wrong, some way we have done a customer wrong, we would at least appreciate the courtesty of not bashing us.

·
Registered
331 Posts
One more thing, as anyone can see in your sig, you have their #2 kit, so I'm sure you have a special relationship with them and that is great. But at least be open minded.

Again, I'm not sure how we offended you, but I would like to make amends. I have received no flack from anyone else like the wrath of god you have put upon us.

We are still in development, some weeks away from dyno numbers so I know it is all just speculation until then. But cut us some slack, we haven't taken anyone's money or attempted to decieve them in any way. Even though we have had customers call us and wanted to send us money to make sure they got one of the first kits. That's just not the way I do business...when it's ready for production, we will take orders, until then, no.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts