Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not an 2003 -04 Cobra.
It's a Lincoln MKVIII with turbo and E85.
First I used the Techsid block 0.010 bore, gibtec pistons with early version 03 Cobra heads.
I think I have a multiple problems.

During the first tuning one of the #1 cylinder exhaust valves get cut like a torch thrue the valve.
It was found that the injectors which was tested prior to install they was good, now was showing way off.
That was Bosch 2200 cc LNG injectors.
Due to that I built a new engine reused all except the block exchanged to Nemak from 2005 Mustang and replaced some bad pistons.
New injectors Ford motorsport 1500 cc.
Second session of tuning then nearly the same thing happened, now it was the #8 cylinder exhaust valve.
The one that's redoing my heads is telling me that he can see evidence it have been really hot.

I have done the simplified cooling system with thermostat in upper cooling hose.
The thermostat have been drilled with 4 holes each with 5mm (0.2 in).
Lincoln MKVIII cooling fan working properly, the temp stays within limits.

Few things I think I have done incorrect with cooling system.
Thermostat, used a 180 deg instead of more preferable 160 deg.
I have deleted the heater core and therefore plugged the return to water pump under the intake.
I only connected the cooling at the back on the heads.
I didn't think about to connect it back to prior the thermostat, which I'm doing now.

Still I don't think this will cure the problem.
One thing that might get much more flow is to use the Ford GT 2005-06 GT500 2007-13 water pump with the front feed.
Can this be a good thing to do?
I know that usually the water pumps are either short or long, but the front feed is that either or another length?

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Selectively burned pistons and torched exhaust valves and or seats are not cooling system problems they are tuning problems, Stefan. Whoever you are using to tune your engine does not know how. I would replace him with someone that is more knowledgeable about tuning. Additionally while it is possible to tune these engines with the OEM computer it is much easier to tune them with a good aftermarket ECU. My personal preference is the MS3Pro PnP system.

If 2200 cc injectors were the correct size for the first build then 1500 cc injectors are the wrong size for the second build! If you are going to fiddle with the cooling system the only modification I would recommend is going to a thermostat in the top radiator hose and using standard radiator to water pump inlet plumbing on the bottom and discarding all the OEM emissions inspired plumbing including the lower thermostat Ford put in the OEM cooling system. Anything else and you are potentially creating a cooling problem.

Although the engine can be run w/o rear exit coolant plumbing on the back of the heads, I would discourage it even if you use a vacuum refill tool to fill the cooling system. Use some sort of plumbing to get the coolant flow at the rear of the head up. Read this post for a better understanding, click here => Head Cooling

If you keep doing what you are currently doing you are going to continue getting the same unhappy ending. Whoever your tuner is he is definitely not up to the job at hand and needs to be replaced.

Parting thought, new injectors that flowed correctly and then did not, can be telling you something about your fuel system and it's plumbing — it is dirty! If you aren't, you should start using fuel filters. If you are, then replace the filter elements with new clean elements.

A brand new injector that flowed correctly and then after an engine failure does not, was clogged by foreign particulate matter in the fuel system. A typical fuel injector is designed to run a 100,000+ miles on a daily driver with a properly maintained clean fuel delivery system. Your accelerated failure points to other problems.

Ed

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Stefan, say something. What's happening?

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts