Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way to tell if a head is warped without taking it to a shop? its already off the car!

·
Registered
104 Posts
grab something that you know is square, like a good machinist ruler, or other form of sraight edge, and a dail indicator.

if its not warped it should be the same all the way across the plane, or damn close. like thousanths of an inch. that will probly be a good way to throw any red flags.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Place a straight edge across it and see if you can stick .001-.002 feeler gauges under the straight edge in different places.

Pretty much if the head has been run for any length of time it's probably going to need a mill or a few thou just to make sure.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i shouldnt put them back on yet?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Did you have any overheating issues before the tear down? If not and it's reasonably straight and the valve seals are good go right ahead. If they are at all in question just take them to a shop and have them do their tests. I think I paid 50 at carquest and they checked everything, not just the deck.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill have them checked just to be extra safe we used a straight edge and a feeler gauge and all was well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts