Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about doing a heads and cam swap on my 01 gt 5spd. I was curious as to what kind of power numbers I would see out of the swap, also any suggestions on what type of heads and cam would be appreciated.

·
Registered
328 Posts
With all the other bolt-ons, somewhere between 300-320rwhp depending on heads and cam selection.

Most popular cams are:

HiTechs
CMS
Comp Cams

I am using the HiTechs, and have used the VT's in the past, which are now the CMS cams. Both are great cams, but there's some drama going on with CMS right now, but nothing to do with their cams, it's all in business practices.

For heads, there's a bunch to choose from:

Patriot seems to be most popular, but I've seen a few QA problems lately, but you know how that is, people only say things when something bad happens. I've heard the actual problem rate is about 1%, but can't confirm that.

There's also HiTech, Livernois, and a bunch of other companies. I'm not as well versed on who's making the most power or who has the best QA/QC lately, and there may be some new company out that's kicking everyone else's butts. I just haven't been in the market for heads for about 3 years, so I'm a bit out of the loop. My Patriots performed well though. I picked up 63HP from the head/cam swap 3 years ago, but I'm sure technology has progressed since then.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you're looking to do this now then I would suggest HiTech heads and cams. Their Stage 2 cams add 40-45rwhp on stock heads, with full bolt ons. I have not heared of anyone having their heads yet, but i'm sure they are quality heads just like thier cams. If you can wait a little longer, Trick Flow will be releasing their heads in April i believe. They just released their cams about a month ago, but have not done any testing yet. They will also be offering a top end kit by the end of the year (Intake, Heads, Cams) which rumors have it that it should produce close to 400rwhp.

Not sure if you're 100% set on N/A, but I would really encourage you to look into buying a supercharger. Vortech is discontinuing thier S trim because of thier new Si trim design, and now a complete S trim kit can be had for under $3,000. Heads, cams, and springs will run you anywhere from $2,100 to $2,600 depending on which companies you choose to go with. If you can install everything yourself then that's great, if not, install is another $1,000, and then you have to dyno tune the car which would be another $350 and if you don't already have a chip or handheld held tuner that will be another $300-$400.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With all the other bolt-ons, somewhere between 300-320rwhp depending on heads and cam selection.

Most popular cams are:

HiTechs
CMS
Comp Cams

I am using the HiTechs, and have used the VT's in the past, which are now the CMS cams. Both are great cams, but there's some drama going on with CMS right now, but nothing to do with their cams, it's all in business practices.

For heads, there's a bunch to choose from:

Patriot seems to be most popular, but I've seen a few QA problems lately, but you know how that is, people only say things when something bad happens. I've heard the actual problem rate is about 1%, but can't confirm that.

There's also HiTech, Livernois, and a bunch of other companies. I'm not as well versed on who's making the most power or who has the best QA/QC lately, and there may be some new company out that's kicking everyone else's butts. I just haven't been in the market for heads for about 3 years, so I'm a bit out of the loop. My Patriots performed well though. I picked up 63HP from the head/cam swap 3 years ago, but I'm sure technology has progressed since then.
Looking back would you have gone to a SC instead of cams/head.
I have 01 Bullitt cant decide SC or heads/ cam on stock motor 70k miles.
If you're looking to do this now then I would suggest HiTech heads and cams. Their Stage 2 cams add 40-45rwhp on stock heads, with full bolt ons. I have not heared of anyone having their heads yet, but i'm sure they are quality heads just like thier cams. If you can wait a little longer, Trick Flow will be releasing their heads in April i believe. They just released their cams about a month ago, but have not done any testing yet. They will also be offering a top end kit by the end of the year (Intake, Heads, Cams) which rumors have it that it should produce close to 400rwhp.

Not sure if you're 100% set on N/A, but I would really encourage you to look into buying a supercharger. Vortech is discontinuing thier S trim because of thier new Si trim design, and now a complete S trim kit can be had for under $3,000. Heads, cams, and springs will run you anywhere from $2,100 to $2,600 depending on which companies you choose to go with. If you can install everything yourself then that's great, if not, install is another $1,000, and then you have to dyno tune the car which would be another $350 and if you don't already have a chip or handheld held tuner that will be another $300-$400.
Looking and reading on different forums it appears that Trick Flow head cam swap is close to a SC set up. Horse power between either set up one could see 340-400 rwhp. Am i somewhat correct? I cant decide which route to take. As far as cost which will give me a cheaper route. The car is a stock 01 Bullitt 70k miles.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Looking back would you have gone to a SC instead of cams/head.
I have 01 Bullitt cant decide SC or heads/ cam on stock motor 70k miles.

Looking and reading on different forums it appears that Trick Flow head cam swap is close to a SC set up. Horse power between either set up one could see 340-400 rwhp. Am i somewhat correct? I cant decide which route to take. As far as cost which will give me a cheaper route. The car is a stock 01 Bullitt 70k miles.
A supercharger will make more power and give you more room to grow. Regarding the cheaper route, it all depends on which supercharger you're looking at. You can get a complete Vortech S trim for under $3k, an Si trim for uner $3500, an intercooled P1sc Procharger for around $4500, and an intercooled KB for under $5,000. If you do heads and cams, what you get is basically what you stay at unless you add other performance mods. With a supercharger all you have to do is swap pulleys and you could be making more power. Installation for a Vortech is $500-$700, an intercooled kit like Procharger will be more. Heads, cams, plus all the other accessories will run you just under $3,000, installation will be $1,000, then you also need injectors/fuel pump which will be another $500. For heads and cams you're basically looking at over $4,000 before a dyno tune for a 60-80rwhp increase. For the same price you could be looking at 100-120rwhp with a supercharger, and still have room to grow in the future. An 8psi Vortech will get you around an extra 105rwhp, and the other intercooled chargers will get you more. I think KB advertises like around a 150rwhp increase from their 9psi intercooled 2.1. Under normal driving a heads/cams car will decrease mpg significantly. A stock motor supercharged car should keep gas mileage around the same because the blower is just free spinning when it's not in boost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for clearing this up. Looks like my Bullitts future will have a SC. Thank you again.
A supercharger will make more power and give you more room to grow. Regarding the cheaper route, it all depends on which supercharger you're looking at. You can get a complete Vortech S trim for under $3k, an Si trim for uner $3500, an intercooled P1sc Procharger for around $4500, and an intercooled KB for under $5,000. If you do heads and cams, what you get is basically what you stay at unless you add other performance mods. With a supercharger all you have to do is swap pulleys and you could be making more power. Installation for a Vortech is $500-$700, an intercooled kit like Procharger will be more. Heads, cams, plus all the other accessories will run you just under $3,000, installation will be $1,000, then you also need injectors/fuel pump which will be another $500. For heads and cams you're basically looking at over $4,000 before a dyno tune for a 60-80rwhp increase. For the same price you could be looking at 100-120rwhp with a supercharger, and still have room to grow in the future. An 8psi Vortech will get you around an extra 105rwhp, and the other intercooled chargers will get you more. I think KB advertises like around a 150rwhp increase from their 9psi intercooled 2.1. Under normal driving a heads/cams car will decrease mpg significantly. A stock motor supercharged car should keep gas mileage around the same because the blower is just free spinning when it's not in boost.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, the same can be said for heads and cams. If you choose blower friendly cams, you just set yourself up for the supercharger in the future.

IMHO, it doesn't matter which way you go if you plan on doing both, getting either is a good step for the future. I'm choosing to do heads/cams first on the Bullitt, and then supercharge in the future, after I build another block. That's honestly just a financial decision that makes sense to me, but either way, you're really going to like the results.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm a huge supporter of CMS cams. I would want to know your goals for the car first but if you're just trying to hit the 300rw mark, I'd go with the price conscious Patriot StgII heads with either, CMS StgII cams OR Comps. Comps has a multitude of different cams for more choices. The difference in power would be minimal on the top end, about 10hp peak.

CMS cams are great for nitrous but I've never owned built or tuned a Comp cam mustang with nitrous so I have no real comparison.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, the same can be said for heads and cams. If you choose blower friendly cams, you just set yourself up for the supercharger in the future.

IMHO, it doesn't matter which way you go if you plan on doing both, getting either is a good step for the future. I'm choosing to do heads/cams first on the Bullitt, and then supercharge in the future, after I build another block. That's honestly just a financial decision that makes sense to me, but either way, you're really going to like the results.
I think the aftermarket cams hold decent value when used and resold. I think even if an owner wanted to change cams to a more blower friendly set later, he wouldn't loose much money (maybe $250) and still enjoy the the setups individually.

After I put the S/C on this car all I could think about is N/A power but was too greedy to give up the numbers for the more aggressive sound and feel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts