Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you have been following my stang you might have noticed that the car started billowing smoke

I re-wired all of the ignition thinking I wasn't geting good spark, pulled all the plugs and found that #3 was the only plug covered in black soot

Well, I ran a compression test yesterday and found 0 in #3. I haven't tore anything down to find what caused the problem

The heads were horribly ported and polished 99 GT heads, stock 99 cams, stock 99 valve covers and timing chains

Anyways, the real point of this post is to find out professional opinions on motors

My driveline consists of a Tremec T-56 6 speed, that mounts up to the 96-98 GT's

What kind of motors am I limited to, and what price range am I looking at?

Anyways, THX for helping me out YET again :confused:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just get a 99+ 2V or 4V motor. Your pocket sets the limit. You should be able to pick up a complete 4V motor for under $6K or a complete crate bullitt motor for around $3500

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the replies and input guys.

Here is my current predicament>>>

I use the car to drive around in daily, I will also be traveling in the car from Missouri to Arkansas and back home in Missouri
I.E. - Lots of HWY miles, and lots of daily driving

Will the forged motors hold to this and are they made to be driven daily like this?

Would I be better off installing a 2001+ Cobra motor and leaving it stock?

If I stay 2V I'd like the forged components, and ship my current heads to be re-ported correctly. I'd install billet Crane's and springs and I just don't know how this would drive?

THX for the help, and keep the comments coming!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If you can, go with the 2001 Cobra engine. There is a TON of potential in that stock engine with just minor bolt ons! Plus, a stock engine is your best bet for reliability. Not that a forged engine will not take it, it will, but you are up to the mercy of your engine builder and machine shops skills. Which in some cases, can be quite lacking and will cause you a short lived engine. If I had to have something I had to depend on and drive daily. I would go with a Ford built stock engine. MHO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts