Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a great opportunity to buy a rear end off a 2000 GT real real cheap. I told the guy I wanted the upper & lower control arms, brakes, shocks, springs, brakes lines, emergency brake cable. What else will I need to make this rear end go in without any problems. I have not yet found out if the car has traction control, will this be a problem? I hope someone that has done the rear end swap will please reply and help me so I can get this rear end on my 03 Cobra ASAP. If I have left out any parts I will need please let me know so I can take them off when I go get the rear end.

If some of you guys that have already installed the straight axle rear end can list any type of problems you encountered.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stlblack03 for the more than informative info. Things are looking better and better. All I need is for the guy to back out of the deal he already made with me for the straight axle rear. Tomorrow we'll find out if he'll go threw with it ( am robbing the guy). Keep everyone informed after it's on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
casper03 said:
I have a great opportunity to buy a rear end off a 2000 GT real real cheap. I told the guy I wanted the upper & lower control arms, brakes, shocks, springs, brakes lines, emergency brake cable. What else will I need to make this rear end go in without any problems. I have not yet found out if the car has traction control, will this be a problem? I hope someone that has done the rear end swap will please reply and help me so I can get this rear end on my 03 Cobra ASAP. If I have left out any parts I will need please let me know so I can take them off when I go get the rear end.

If some of you guys that have already installed the straight axle rear end can list any type of problems you encountered.
Call Richard Lelsz at Strictly Performance--713-910-0111...he will help with any questions....if he is not available you can talk to Greg...Good Luck Man!
Ken

·
Registered
406 Posts
Better double check your driveshaft length.
I have a Viper T-56 in mine so obviously i have a different driveshaft,but i was told that the cobra and Gt cars use different length driveshafts.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Also i didnt use the live axle brake lines,i used the existing cobra lines,however i had to swap sides with the lines.
reason is clear once you try to bolt the existing lines to the GT calipers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You won't need the e-brake cables but you will need the bumper and attaching parts that goes above the pumkin. The driveshaft may present a problem. With the earlier IRS cars all you needed was a driveshaft from a GT because the trannys were the same length. I believe the 6 speeds are longer so a GT driveshaft won't work. If the rear does not have TC then I personally would pass on it and find one that does, not so much for the TC but the ABS capability.

A thought just came to me about the driveshaft length. The '99-'01 IRS shafts were shorter than the GT's. If the '03's are shorter still than maybe a shaft from a '99-'01 Cobra will work in an '03 with a solid rear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
re:

wow I am confused are you getting a solid axel loosing the irs?
if so the gt rears from 96+ will all directly fit no problems at all. just need new exhaust ot get over the axels

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Actually 99+ rears are the only ones that fit properly all the others are 3/4" shorter on each side.

The Stock DS will work but you need the yoke? (can't think of the proper name) The part that the DS bolts to??? Off the IRS. This is what I've been told by a couple people who have done it on 03's.

PM Charlez03 on this board...he has done it

·
Registered
684 Posts
i wonder if you used an older rear(94-98) you could probably use a rim with a huge dish, and less backspacing, which would look really good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts