Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

help- broke hood stud for hinge

13K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  5.4 Boss 
#1 ·
Guys, just wondering what is an effective way to fix (not rig) a factory broken hood stud. I got a new road-race car, a 94 Mustang GT. The previous owner must have cross-threaded the nut on the hood stud, because when I put my wrench on it and tried to turn it, it snapped the stud in half.

I will need the hood off and on a few more times (to say the least), so I can't just rig it up, it needs to be done with a purpose. I am clueless. Any good ideas? Thanks, Jeff

#2 ·
so you mean you cant get the hood off or what? If you need to get the bolt out I would get a bolt out kit you would have to drill a hole in the bolt then use the bolt out it will pull it out if im right!! then I would drill a new hole and tap it with a new bolt so you wont have that problem any more.

#3 ·
I was wondering how thick that metal under the fiberglass actually is, to do what you said, just drill out the old stud and tap the plate and use a bolt (God, I wish Ford had done that!!!!

Yes, I can get the hood off, as a matter of fact I don't want to put it back on until I fix it. I just meant that while taking the 4 nuts off, one of the studs attached to the hood snapped off. Not sure the easy-out would work though, because the stud is attached in there (welded or whatever).

I was hoping that someone had this happen and fixed it, or someone has an old factory hood they want to destroy to reverse engineer this thing

#6 ·
Good. I was thinking about buying another hood and cutting it apart to see what I am up against. There was a guy who had a cracked 95 Mustang hood in a town nearby, but he was asking $50 for it. I kind-of felt like that was too much, considering it was junk. Someone asked me why I didn't just get a new hood and I don't feel like trying to match the color, etc. since the car is a non-stock shade of red.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.