Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently piecing together enough stuff to convert my 2003 GT front brakes over to the 13" Cobras because I am tired of those junky phenolic pistons sticking (working on them yet again).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I learned from 4 days of forum reading:
-Cobra/Mach1/Bullitt front calipers are all the same and use dual steel pistons(vary in color/decals)
-I have to make sure I get the same banjo threading that is on my stock lines, there are 2 different kinds depending on the year
-It is not necessary to upgrade to longer stainless lines.
-The stock GT master cylinder will work fine.

??? So all I need are the:
-13" rotors (which won't work on the stock GT PRB calipers). Yay or nay on xdrilled/slotted?
-Cobra/Mach1/Bullitt calipers
-"" Pads

So here are my questions:
I can get a hold of 2 remanufactured cobra calipers from Advanced for a good price - Part #18-4766/67.
Does anyone have a picture of how these look? Checked 3 Advanced Auto stores, their site, and even just searched the web with no pictures.

Also, as far as the rear calipers go, I read that they are pretty much the same as the Cobra ones, except for a bracket.

If I got new Cobra pads and Cobra rotors, can I use them on my GT calipers with ONLY grinding? :hmm:I'm not going to bother if I have to remove my axles and do a swap to Cobra calipers or put on that bracket.

If anyone has some brake stuff at a decent price I'd entertain the idea of getting used items...

I am new to forums and posting, so bear with me.
Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yes all those calipers you listed are the same.
The banjo bolt only threads into the caliper not the lines. They are the same length just different thread pitch/count.
You don't have to upgrade the lines but it is highly recommended. You can get ss lines from goodridge for a song bit I would go with mm.
Cross drilled and or slotted rotors are pointless especially on the street.
you have to install the anchor plate on the axel tubes if you want to run the larger 11.65in rear rotor. The calipers are indeed the same but the brackets are slightly different. The clearance issue with the bracket has to do with it touching the rotor on the inside. All you have to do is grind on it a little and maybe space the bracket out with a few washers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"you have to install the anchor plate on the axel tubes if you want to run the larger 11.65in rear rotor"

So grinding will fix the clearance issue, but i'll still need the anchor plate?

Thx

·
Registered
427 Posts
I bought a Cobra caliper kit in 2006 for $350. This included all brake pads, Goodrich stainless lines, and proper banjo bolts.....all I had to buy was the rotors. One thing I did, I did not put the rear cobra bracket on. I just got normal sized GT rear rotors and stuck the Cobra caliper on it. With the front bias on our brakes, going with a larger rear brake system just wasnt worth it unless I was going to do a lot of autoX and adjust the bias of the brakes. I think the cobra rear caliper had a slightly larger piston than the GT brakes, but like I said...that was 2006. I do know that Baer makes a rear setup that uses a bracket that bolts to the existing GT bracket....but the kit is not cheap.

I got the black calipers....they are not really painted black, they just have a blackish coating on them that comes off after a year or so. I am about to use some caliper paint and get them black again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alrighty... i appreciate the quick reply. Looks like I'll be sticking with just doing the fronts. Too many other things I want to do besides brakes, so I'll just leave the rears alone. Gears, axles, and slicks cost enough to where I can't go all out.

Still need pics of the Advance Auto Part #18-4766 or 4767 Front Cobra Calipers...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
man i would never buy my cobra brakes from advance auto. they are a complete ripoff and youll end up with off brand parts. they will be rebuilt with crappy seals, etc...I stay as far away from those types of places as I can

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Atleast I know I can return them if I have an issue. It just seems they go for a mint brand new. Even alot of the used ones I see are pretty expensive, and even then... they are used and of an unknown condition. After rebates and core, I can snag em for $45 a pop... they have to be better then these GT PBRs....

That's why I really wanted to see a picture - are they actual rebuilt cobra brakes or just some pos knockoff?
Have people had problems with them? I've never had problems with refurb stuff before, but maybe I've been lucky.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
man i used to work at both autozone and oreilleys. make sure before you pay for them that they are authentic cobra brakes with the correct sized pistons and everything. Ive looked up cobra brakes before in their computer and come to find out they were actually remanufactured stock GT brakes. But they actually showed up under the listing for a cobra. That may explain the big price difference

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Without core deduction and discounts, they are 156 each... which I wouldn't dream of paying that for refurbs. Trust me, they better not try and hand me rebuilt GT ones... I don't even care if they say the magic words "cobra" on them. I don't care what color they are. As long as they work on 13" rotors and are better than the ones I have, it's an improvement. As long as they are one of the 2 types of cobra calipers or even a bullitt or mach1, I'll take em.

Worst case scenario, I'd probably get these:
http://www.buyfordracing.com/produc...ION-BULLITT-MUSTANG-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPERS.html

Thanks for the heads up though. Now I know to be on my guard!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
yea that sounds like about the right price for some real ones. The anniversary cobra calipers have a little larger pistons in them, but as you said anything will work

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hahaha... funny you mention that. I literally just got off the phone with them. Very good prices. The problem I'm not running into is the banjo bolt???/mounting holes, port thread, and bleeder thread....

Example:
Mount holes - 12x1.75
Bleeder - 10x1
Port - 10x1.5

I am not sure what sizes for these I need and if I need the rough vs. fine thread.
I have no idea what sizes my car has. The dealership gave no info and only has one part number for my year, which is odd because I heard that 03 was the year they changed the sizes, so depending on when you car was made, you may have gotten the older 99-02 style or the 03-04 style.
I have a 2003 GT, but it has a manufacture date of 08/2002 based on the VIN and the door tag.

I have 2 calipers on order (after everything they come to $55 a piece shipped to me, not too bad!)... they are out of stock and it can take anywhere from 1 week to 2 months to get them, which is good because I have to call to finalize the order at that time. That gives me more time to make sure I ordered the right part.

I wonder if rock auto would notice if i sent my GT ones in for the core on the Cobras... lol....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update... complained to one of my buddies and he is hooking me up with both entire 95 Cobra A arms, rotors, calipers... etc... the whole works! I prefer the 40.5 mm cobra pistons, so if someone on here is in Virginia, I'll consider trades for a newer year Cobra/Mach1/Bullitt caliper.

I still would like info on what threading my car may have... always good to know.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
so you found new cobra calipers for $55 a piece???

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
hahaha... funny you mention that. I literally just got off the phone with them. Very good prices. The problem I'm not running into is the banjo bolt???/mounting holes, port thread, and bleeder thread....

Example:
Mount holes - 12x1.75
Bleeder - 10x1
Port - 10x1.5

I am not sure what sizes for these I need and if I need the rough vs. fine thread.
I have no idea what sizes my car has. The dealership gave no info and only has one part number for my year, which is odd because I heard that 03 was the year they changed the sizes, so depending on when you car was made, you may have gotten the older 99-02 style or the 03-04 style.
I have a 2003 GT, but it has a manufacture date of 08/2002 based on the VIN and the door tag.

I have 2 calipers on order (after everything they come to $55 a piece shipped to me, not too bad!)... they are out of stock and it can take anywhere from 1 week to 2 months to get them, which is good because I have to call to finalize the order at that time. That gives me more time to make sure I ordered the right part.

I wonder if rock auto would notice if i sent my GT ones in for the core on the Cobras... lol....
When you get your calipers just take a look into the port where the banjo bolt goes and head down to the parts store and buy new ones. Either thread course or fine will be very obviouse. Your going to need new seals for the lines anyway and I believe in replacing banjo bolts because people tend to over tq them and they sometimes crack.

Bleed screws should come with the calipers and if they don't you can simply pick those up at the parts store also. No big deal. Ford should have no problem getting them for you also.

As for the mount bolts they are all the same thread pitch/count. Back when you could get this upgrade as a package from BFR you didnt get mount bolts you simply re-used your old ones, thats what I did. If for some stupid reason yours dont fit guess what? The parts store has what you need as most have a section of hardware specifically for caliper brackets that meet the 12.9 spec.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Update... complained to one of my buddies and he is hooking me up with both entire 95 Cobra A arms, rotors, calipers... etc... the whole works! I prefer the 40.5 mm cobra pistons, so if someone on here is in Virginia, I'll consider trades for a newer year Cobra/Mach1/Bullitt caliper.

I still would like info on what threading my car may have... always good to know.
You do know that the 95 A-arms will reduce your turning circle right? I believe that swap will create a bump steer issue also on your car that will require a bump steer kit. I know of one person on stangnet who did that swap to try and correct an issue caused by an aftermarket K-member and it caused him all kinds of issues on un-even pavement. Check this out http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=tech_front_susp_9604_spindle. This shows you how the two spindles are different. I am still looking for info on the A arms.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LS1KILR - $55 a piece for refurbished ones after rebate and core.... and if I could get them to ship them to the store and knock off the shipping they would be $45 ea.... just have to work the rebate codes in your favor. If they look like most of the other refurbs I see, they aren't pretty looking. I may end up getting these anyway. Rock auto has the nicest looking refurbs though and can actually provide bolt sizes, etc (after being on hold for a while).

darkside03gt - I wouldn't use the whole A-arm. Just the calipers, rotors, and possibly the lines. Want 40mm, but have 38mm... maybe i'll offer all of it for trades or something, but gotta put em on for the mean time. Plus it'll let me know if I'm offering up a working part, which they should be!

Thx for the info! That is a good read... as I may be putting up an ad shortly for the a-arms...
Calling my uncle after he gets off work... he's more of a fox body guy and might now more about the 94-98 than I do.

"Spindle was changed in 1999 to provide clearance for the PBR caliper on the Mustang GT. 1994-98 spindles require modification to fit the 1999-04 GT PBR caliper" --- So I am going to assume that the the actual size of the 95 caliper won't be an issue on the roomy 99-04... but it would be if I was doing the 'opposite'...

I see where doing the whole swap would be an issue, but using the calipers off of them? I'm picking them up tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll have a better idea when I lay my hands on them.

From what I understand, these should work. I imagine the pedal feel will be a bit tighter going from 44 to 38mm...

I am learning a lot from every ones input, thanks guys!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Called the guy to pick up the 95 cobra parts... and he starts the conversation out with "ya might think im a...., but"
He decided to keep them. I don't blame him, but yea.... good thing I didn't cancel my other order.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts