Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4.6 to a built 5.4 with 4v heads...Is this worth it, and how much cost am I looking at? I have a 02 GT and I am very unsatisfied with the amount of $$ I have to spend to build a 4.6 motor, put on a blower, then still hit only mid-12's. I would like to know if the 5.4 is worth it, or if I should just scrap this for a crate motor (ie-maybe FoMoCo's 351w stroker)? I KNOW this is a modular board, but I am looking for solid mid-11's, and from what I have seen even with a blower I can't hit below 12's. Thanks...

·
Registered
227 Posts
devildog92 said:
I am looking for solid mid-11's, and from what I have seen even with a blower I can't hit below 12's. Thanks...
dude...build a solid (forged) 4.6 put the blower on it, put some blower cams in it, crank the boost to around 12psi, get some sticky tires and 11s shouldnt be a problem. my buddy just went 11.2 @122 at FFW richmond with a forged bottom end SHM cams and a novi2000 on ET streets. he doesnt even frequent the track. and btw..i would imagine it would be more expensive to build a built 5.4 than the 4.6...plus you dont have that whistle...:D

·
Registered
802 Posts
I agree 100%! Swapping to a 5.4 wouldn't be too difficult but I think you'll spend close to the same amount of money if not more by doing it. I can't imagine a built 2v not running 11s. Here's an example-A 346 cid LS1 will not run mid 11s without some big money thrown at it. I can assure you that a 330 cid 5.4 will not run mid 11s bone stock either. Your'e looking at cams, headwork, intake porting, etc., etc. Also, you don't need a forged shortblock to run 11s. More reliable and safe? Yes. But, not needed to run 11s.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A built 4.62V with forged internals and a blower running even 9psi, with the RIGHT suspension, tires, exhaust, and tune will turn elevens with no problem what so ever. And it will do it all day long. Price the custom intake you are going to need for that 5.4 swap, and then add in everything else, including a new hood. If you got the cash...5.4 is optimal. But you can accomplish what you want to do for less. Forged pistons and rods will get you buy as long as you dont turn the wick up to high. Focus on suspension and weight loss on the car to make up for the lack of boost.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
twokingsracer said:
A built 4.62V with forged internals and a blower running even 9psi, with the RIGHT suspension, tires, exhaust, and tune will turn elevens with no problem what so ever. And it will do it all day long. Price the custom intake you are going to need for that 5.4 swap, and then add in everything else, including a new hood. If you got the cash...5.4 is optimal. But you can accomplish what you want to do for less. Forged pistons and rods will get you buy as long as you dont turn the wick up to high. Focus on suspension and weight loss on the car to make up for the lack of boost.
>>>Am I to understand then that unlike the new 03 Cobra, if I put 14-16lbs of boost through a built block it will not take it? I was struck by the fact that you said 'don't turn the wick up'. I do not mind the $$, as long as its reliable if I decide to put a NOVI on it and run 20lbs worth...

Sorry, I am new to the 'modular' scene, all I have ever heard is bad comments about these motors...Kinda depressing to think that it takes 4k for a built block, 6k for a intake and blower, then another 2-3k for heads and cams, and this is not including things like fuel rails and system, injectors, etc...Shesh :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
twokingsracer said:
Thanks for the input -two-, its appreciated. Thing is, as far as weight loss, I like all the creature-comforts, and having a spare in the back.

I would like to see mid-11's with the a/c on while I go down the track, if you know what I am saying. I want to keep it sane, well, as sane as possible I guess. I just don't want a blown motor after I spend all the cash to get it to mid-low 11 sec...Best guess is for safety sake, it'll take 15k minimum for the block, blower, etc. This that about right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was addressing his particular situation. You can go well over 9psi with a built 4.6, dont get me wrong. He is wanting something that it sounds like he can daily drive and do this. When I said dont turn the wick up, I am speaking from an engine longevity standpoint. As long as you are going forged and intercooled you can definitely up the boost. The modular motor is a great setup, its just expensive. If you say money is not an issue as long as it is reliable...buddy, you can do anything you want to these things.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys

I appreciate it. I have been disappointed since I 'inherited' this from my wife a few months ago. The inability to do almost anything on this car is a tough one...

I have decided to go 125 shot of N20 for now, then when I get the built block and blower later this year, I will switch to a wet set-up, but a smaller shot (to make a cooling effect rather than any extra hp increase). that way I can out 15lbs in it, with a small shot to make sure my buddies 600hp C5 can't touch me.

Whatcha think? Like I said, this mod motor stuff is new to me, so I have to ask questions...

·
Registered
492 Posts
All I have ever heard is bad comments about these motors...
Odd, the ones who complain are usually the ones who still think pushrods are the best engines. These are some GREAT motors with ALOT of potential. Aftermarket parts and custom work are still pricey, but that will all come down. Realize that these parts manufacturers are re-tooling and re-deisgning factory parts which costs alot more when they are in the infant stages. A few years from now, things will drop in price.
this mod motor stuff is new to me
Modular is nothing but a word. Refer to this thread What makes it Modular It's still just another engine.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
NX330MustangGT said:
If you want to see what's involved in building a 5.4L DOHC then read this whole thread.

The car is owned by Boss 330 / Al Papitto. He's an ex-pro stock bike racer, so he knows how to get a n/a DOHC to run. - John
That is a way cool project...I keep seeing everyone using 96-98 body model's though (even the 96-8 Cobra heads). Anyone you know of, or themselves for that matter, do a build-up on a 99-02? I guess this can be done, right?

BTW, NX, where did you get all your parts from? Any place you'd buy the parts from in particular? Thanks again for ALL the input guys.

·
Registered
100 Posts
15psi and a 125 shot...you just need to get a bulletproof shortblock setup. The whole rotating assembly needs to be forged. 4 grand will get you started.

·
Registered
630 Posts
devildog92 said:
That is a way cool project...I keep seeing everyone using 96-98 body model's though (even the 96-8 Cobra heads). Anyone you know of, or themselves for that matter, do a build-up on a 99-02? I guess this can be done, right?

BTW, NX, where did you get all your parts from? Any place you'd buy the parts from in particular? Thanks again for ALL the input guys.
Yes, it can be done, but I've only seen one or maybe two 99-up body cars with 5.4L DOHC's. Most people are using 99-up tumble port DOHC heads. The heads I have are 5.4L Navigator DOHC heads. For more info on heads, goto 4v forums, and look for "Official 4v Head Tech Thread."

I got almost all my parts from www.modularperformance.com - Mike and John Temensky.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow, 12k just in parts to build that 5.4? Thats alot of cabbage. Good on ya if you can afford it. Makes me :vomit: thinking about that kind of $. Then again, I wonder how much I already spent on this damn thing. I lose track. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts