Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am to the point where I don't even drive my truck anymore. The thing doesn't stop stalling and cutting out! Even does it while driving which is down right dangerous. Sometimes when it cuts out the keep needs to be turned back then and only then will it restart. Something it just just restarts though. It has even cutout at WTF. Which was scary as hell, I thought the motor let go. Also today while driving around the local GMC lot checking out new trucks the temp guage pegged, threw a check engine light. I shut it off restart and the guage was normal. WTF! Also when I am driving down the road with O/D off it will sometimes buck then the O/D off light goes out and it up shifts to 4th. WTF times 2! Also driving today and it did this before, the truck felt like it had a horrible miss. Then it just stopped I mean I am at the point where the truck just sits. Tonight was the first time driving it in about 2 weeks besides some test runs when the tranny was done. So now I have a truck that I just dumped thousands of dollars more into recently and I am still paying for that doesn't get driven. Hmmm, sounds like the Cobra. So the Cobra went up for sale today. If I get the right money it is gone and quite frankly it does seem like the Lightning is that far behind it. I will just go buy a GMC and use it for a tow vehicle for my GN! Why can't my Lightning run as good as my Cobra. I am on my second Pro-M that didn't fix the problem. I doubt it is injectors. Do I have a bad computer>??? I am also on my 2nd chip! Somebody please help me! Jim and Shawn are out of town for the next two weeks and I don't want my baby to sit any longer. I am ready to pull my hair out, oh wait I have a buzz! Please anyone! Thanks, -Mat-

·
Registered
924 Posts
DId you drive your truck without your chip? Just to make sure it is not the chip? Take the negative side cable of the battery for a couple of minutes to clear the computer. I'm sure it is something simple be patient -jeff-.:blob

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done all of the above. It all started after the ProM and 55LBers went in. I am leaning towards a bad PCM or a bad connection at the PCM. Simply because it is doing so many "funny" things. I was first leaning towards, hey they are human maybe a wire got damaged during the install and or it rubbed thru and is now grounding out. But now with all these other things it is doing, it had got to be PCM related. It is just driving me nuts. Worst thing is I can't really do much about it because of my never healing broken leg. Go to the hospital to visit my dad, his nurse asks me what I did, I say " I broke my leg last Septemeber." She says "Well honey your not supposed to still be on crutches." :rolleyes: Yeah thanks for rubbing it in. I think my leg is what is really bothering me here. Ahhh I dunno, but I will stop complaining. Sorry, -Mat-

·
Registered
924 Posts
try putting your brothers computer in your truck then go from their only takes a few minutes.:blob

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
conleymotorsports said:
try putting your brothers computer in your truck then go from their only takes a few minutes.:blob
Yeah, I know. I just need to find a local guy that can come reprogram the PATS. Also my chip wouldn't work in his computer. -Mat-

·
Registered
64 Posts

I had some trouble like that, for me it was my MAF gone bad.
TRY removing chip.
unplug Battery.
put stock MAF backin.
And check for leaks.

And hookup a fuelpressure gauge under the hood and try monitoring it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, it's probably not want you want to hear, but sometimes the truth hurts. I am quite certain that it stems from your tune. Now before anyone thinks I am trying to bash JDM, let me explain. On the 01 PCMs, Ford moved the injector scalar into a bank that is not accesed on a single bank chip, which Superchips is. So, when you go to larger injectors, you can't just change the injector size. There are several ways to correct for this on other manners, that are just as effective as if you could just input the right injector size. Now Autologic chips are also single bank, but Autologic tuners have been dealing with this issue for many years, and have properly figured it all out as far as what to correct for it all. The other half of the equation in your problem is your MAF. Even though Pro-Ms are supposed to be "Bolt-on", the proper way to correct for them is to input the new maf x-fer curve into the calibration. Now I've seen many Superchip files over the years, and have NEVER seen one that was corrected this way. Not only does this affect your a/f and the way the truck runs, but on an electronic trans vehicle, it also affects transmission slip times, EPC, shift duration, and converter calculations. So having an improper MAF without correction can kead to a toasted trans. Your issues are not an isolated case, I've had quite a few of your "team" call me about this as well.

Once again, Iam not trying to step on toes here, and I tried to be as "politically correct" in this post as I could and still relay the info. If you want our help or more details, feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
924 Posts
thanks for your info Sal that's why I asked for you to come back to the site because you always answer questions when people ask even know you have a busy schedule with your business. :blob

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i had nothing but problems with my pro-m mass air. like sal touched on every pro-m is different they are not held to such tight tolerances as the oem. with that being said is your maf calibrated for your injectors and you didn't oil your filter did you. if you oiled the filter or even if it was pre oiled it could have oiled the pickup wire. just a few ideas

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LTHL PSI said:
It stalls out whiel driving on the highway?!?!
It has. Really sucks man. I am getting quite tired of. Make me wish I just left this truck alone from the start. Chip and Filter she went 13.1's on F1's in 90 degree heat. Now thousands and thousands of dollars later where am I>??? I am stuck with a truck that I don't even know if it will stay running for a full pass. Maybe I should just put it back to stock, sell the parts and sell the truck. Sounding very good right about now. -Mat-

·
Registered
443 Posts
SVT F15O,
I would suggest calling Sal and scrapping the Pro-M meter.
He has his truck running pretty well with the stock meter and 55's.

LTHL PSI,
Please IM me with a # were I can call you, I would like to talk to you about your combo and the stahling problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you running a chip? I had similiar problems with my car stalling and running pig rich and leaning out on the same drive. Come to find out I had worn through the board traces on my J3 service port on my 91GT A9L ECM. Soldered up the traces to build some thickness and all's good now. Worth a shot?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
straightliner1 said:
Are you running a chip? I had similiar problems with my car stalling and running pig rich and leaning out on the same drive. Come to find out I had worn through the board traces on my J3 service port on my 91GT A9L ECM. Soldered up the traces to build some thickness and all's good now. Worth a shot?
Thanks for the info, it is appreciated. I am not sure that is the problem though since this all started after the injectors and MAF went on. I have an appt with JDM on Saturday to swap out the injectors and try a new program. If that doesn't do the trick I will try what you say or maybe just buy a new computer. Thanks again, -Mat-

·
Registered
352 Posts
A new computer wont solve your problem. Its the MAF. You need a retune.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts