Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it weren't for bad luck...... I was driving home from the Saturday evening hot rod hang-out and I ran over something that banged like hell under the car, scared the sh!t outta me. It was dark and I didn't see a thing at first but when I looked in my rear view I saw something rolling to the shoulder behind me.. I was driving about 45 acting normal as can be. At first I thought I spit out a half shaft but there was no clunks or drive train abnormalities. I got stopped by the next light so I jumped out and did a run around the car... everything looked fine. I looked for any smoke in the rear view while driving but there was none. I shrugged it off as if nothing had happened. I got home and decided to take a more in depth look with a flash light before I put my baby to bed in the garage. I did another walk around, this time with a light... no damage. I then looked under the car with the light. I started at the rear, checking the differential. The outside was dry as a bone. I noticed some oily spatters on the pipes and mufflers though. I went around to the side and looked. Drip, drip, drip went the tranny fluid. Nothing like a concrete sunday with a Red Line topping ( poor attempt at failing humor).. It was coming from the tail shaft area. I grabbed the jack and pumped up the front end and crawled under. What ever it was hit the bottom of the tranny about 6" forward of the tail shaft and put a 1" gash in the aluminum, enough for a slow drip.. damn the bad luck.

This is most definately not a warranty issue..(no defective Ford part here) I really don't want to turn it into my insurance company either. My rates are high enough. That leaves me with repairing it. I'm leaving it jacked up over night with a pan under it. Most of the fluild will probably drain out.. There's no structural damage, just a gash from a sharp edge. I can either weld it or apply an epoxy or Devcon patch. This is where I need some suggestions. If I tig weld it I'll want to do it in place, without pulling the tranny.. question is.. Will the welding fry the ECM and how can I prevent that from happening? I guess I could pull the harness from the ECM. Is there anything else electronic that the welding might hurt??The other course of action would to apply a "patch" over the gash. Maybe some kind of epoxy or Devcon.. Anyone have any ideas.. I'm open to about anything at this point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
can you post a pic?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Undy I don't think I'd trust an epoxy/JBWeld patch on something like that, it would be real hard to get it clean and fluid free enough to make a strong permanent bond. Difficult to say though without seeing the nature/extent of the damage.

Good luck,
Bill

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take a pic and post it this am.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one pic..

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another one..

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's fixed (I hope..) I went out and put the ole' reading glasses on. The crack was only about 3/8" long, small fissure crack. One of the board members suggested using a drift punch and try peening it until the leak quit.. I did and it worked. No leak even after sitting an hour.. I then cleaned a large area with a pnuematic rotary file to assue good contact of a repair patch. I went to the local harware store and talked to a very knowledgable individual on the subject. I walked away with two types of repair, JB Weld and another 2 part "metalized patch that's in putty form and you knead it to activate it. Both are machineable, offer 3000+ yield strength, suitable for aluminum, no permeation and are good for over 600deg f. I opted for the kneadable repair as it's cure time is 60 minutes..( I know the crack won't leak in 60 minutes ) I did the repair annd feel real good about it.. All I need is another quart of Red Line D4.. I think I lost between 1/4 and 1/2 quart.. Time will tell.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts