Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short, I'm running 555R drag radials and Megabite Jr's. On the street the thing hooks like hell. I get it on the strip and can't get the thing to hoojk no matter how hard or easy I leave.

Please advise.

·
Registered
438 Posts
mo info

Please give some more details.........power level? what size drag radials?? air pressure?? shocks??

Ben

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mods:
2000 GT
Chrome 17x9 FMS Cobra R's, Steeda "sport" springs, MM caster/camber plates, FMS 70mm TB, Pro-M 87mm Bullet MAF, FMS 3.73 gears, Vortech S-trim (10psi), Morpheus Powerpipe, RAM900 clutch and PP, Steeda quadrant adjustable cable, JMS chip , FMS 42lb injectors, BBK 1 5/8" longtube headers, BBK 2.5" offroad h-pipe, Saleen/Borla 2.5" catback, megabite Jr's, Nitto 555R drag radials.

Started off w/ the tires aired down to 18 psi. Dropped down to 16psi and still no traction.

I'm thinking that these stiff springs have a lot to do w/ it. Couple that w/ the fact that I'm using stock shocks and struts.

Please advise.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Your gt is prolly making some pretty good torque, so a hi reving launch is out of the question. Of course, you already know that.

The 17 drag radial has no side wall, so no real flex to absorb the shock of the launch. You are correct, the "stock like susp." is going to hurt you.

Try dropping to air pressure to 13-14 lbs. You need to do a good burnout and get em hot. Like stated above, launch around 2K and ride the clutch out.

Have you removed to front sway bar?? You also need to get some adjustable shocks. The megabites may be hurting you more than helping with the springs and shocks you currently have.

Have you checked the pinion angle since lowering it with the Steeda Sports?? You should be at negative 3 (or there abouts)

Ben

·
Banned
142 Posts
Hey Jay,
Sounds like your making some decent power and torque so my suggestion to you is if you want to run the numbers at the trak, invest in a set of ET Streets...I know alot of people love their drag radials and run good times with them, but for overall consistency the ET street is the way to go. It also sounds like you are somewhat of a "newbie" to the track scene (PLEASE don't take it the wrong way!) so the ET streets can be more "forgiving" if the car is launched too agressively. 3 years ago I was running 2-3 tenths quicker than most stangs with exact same set up but only b/c of the tires and my agressive launching....I know a big concern with slicks is the durability of the rear and axles, but from the amount of $$$ you invested in hp already, I would feel safe to say that a few extra $$ shouldn't be that big of a concern for you....just remember all the hp in the world ain't crap unless its applied to the ground properly!!
P.S. suspension setup is very important as well but for a quick fix, the slicks will do the trick for now...I was running 1.7's 60fters with TOTALLY stock suspension

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts