Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a noise in the valvetrain we keep chasing, less than 10k on the heads.....replaced the lash adjuster on the driver side head and now the noise is worse. the adjusters we pulled out, we couldn't compress them, dunno if this is good or bad. guess now we'll replace the pass. sd ones.........thoughts, ideas guys???

phil

·
Registered
108 Posts
well...

...have you just done a "head swap" ? new engine ? changed camshafts ? what kinda oil press ? what type oil are you using ? we dont see any problems wth the hyd adjuster on Modular engine, unless its been h/s or cam changed and I think the problems maybe elsewere in the valvetrain.

Randy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry for the lack of info....the car is just headswapped, stock 01 heads and cams. oil pressure is fine. right now i am running 5 qts of pennzoil 5w30 with 1 qt of marvel mystery oil. it's been around 120 miles since i put the oil in. it's been doing this for quite a while.

phil

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, all the plugs are in, we did the swapo back in august.

phil

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
putting in new pass sd lash adjusters tomorrow, put new dr sd in and no luck, also putting in new cam bolts.

phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
I f you have replaced your old heads with stock 2001 heads these have a valve guide problem which is causing a engine tick with most of the 4.6 engines made from 2001-2004 including the Mach 1 and Cobra.Ford will fix,but you have to know about the problem ,because there not notifying anybody.

·
Registered
245 Posts
bjskipp said:
I f you have replaced your old heads with stock 2001 heads these have a valve guide problem which is causing a engine tick with most of the 4.6 engines made from 2001-2004 including the Mach 1 and Cobra.Ford will fix,but you have to know about the problem ,because there not notifying anybody.
I have a 99 gt fresh rebuilt 99 heads on it and forged internals and the motor does the "tick" as well. Any info on that?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I too had lifter issues when I installed the SHM cams on my car. I shimmed the lifters as it instructed but did not have enough preload......so, I did the next best thing. Went solid roller and I am HAPPY. They sound like an industrial sewing machine but they are working great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts