Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found and purchased a 97 Cobra engine with only 33,000 miles. It was in a show car that got rear ended and totaled out by the insurance company. The engine is completely stock, with the exception of a cold air intake. It came with a built T45 tranny as the owner was going to be supercharging it until it was hit.

I have a nice Tremec 3550 in my GT now and would prefer to use it since I know it has been maintained and treated well. Would my Tremec 3550 swap over to the Cobra engine? If so, what parts are needed to make it work?

I also am going to put some MAC longtubes on it while it is out. Will the MAC Prochamber for longtubes that is on my GT now work with the Cobra LTs? Is there anything else I should do while the engine is out?

I could use as much info as possible on this swap before I dive into it, so any kind of help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
trans issue

Use the Tremec you now have. I don't see the Cobra-only trans x-member frame brackets for the Cobra T-45 in your pile of parts. They are usually $150/pr and aren't easy to find.

The T-45 is an unknown to you and you know the condition of your trans, so don't change it. Sell the T-45 to recover $300-400 or so.

You don't have to change anything except your flywheel (I am assuming your GT has the stock 6-bolt crank/flywheel, whereas you need the 8-bolt flywheel for the Cobra crank). They can be had for cheap in nodular iron stock replacements or just get a good SFI-rated unit.

Since you already have the Tremec in the car, the engine swap is a no-brainer.

Your longtubes should fit, but you can call MAC to see if the longtubes from the DOHC fit the same ProChamber. Usually the DOHC and SOHC x and h pipes are the same from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i dont think the 2V LT's will work with the the 4v the gt's exhaust port is round and the 4v is oval so it wont work ...use the cobra flywheel and clutch its still a 10.5'' so you can still use your clutch if still good as far as wiring i would use your stock wiring i did a swap in my 98 gt i swap it with a 04 cobra and i used my stock harness i modifyded and i did a coil on plug conversion i dont like the coil packs other then that it pretty straight foward

·
Registered
895 Posts
clarification

98, just to clarify, he wasn't asking if the SOHC headers would fit, he was asking if his h-pipe (MAC has a mini-muffler-looking thing called a ProChamber) would work.

The majority of the 4.6 h-pipes and x-pipes are made for a universal fit.

·
a legend in my own mind
660 Posts
not unless you are blowing it or laughing it a bunch. its all easy and a tune will correct issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.