Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is making a strange noise that is kind of hard to describe. The noise happens under moderate acceleration at low speeds. Happens in first and second gear at under 15 mph. Could be present in other gears, but I'm never at that low of a speed in any other gears. The only way I can describe the noise is as a sort of metallic grinding/crunching noise. It only happens for a split second upon acceleration and goes away right after. If I were to accelerate slowly off the line it doesn't happen.

Any one have any idea what this could be? It's fairly loud and pretty embarrassing. :mad2:

·
Registered
367 Posts
My car is making a strange noise that is kind of hard to describe. The noise happens under moderate acceleration at low speeds. Happens in first and second gear at under 15 mph. Could be present in other gears, but I'm never at that low of a speed in any other gears. The only way I can describe the noise is as a sort of metallic grinding/crunching noise. It only happens for a split second upon acceleration and goes away right after. If I were to accelerate slowly off the line it doesn't happen.

Any one have any idea what this could be? It's fairly loud and pretty embarrassing. :mad2:
clutch slipping? does it smell?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clutch slipping? does it smell?
Nope. No slippage or smell. My clutch does seem to have gotten heavier, judging by the clutch's I have felt on newer GT's I've driven. Not sure if that's relevant or not, though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
tould be the syncros in the trans.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tould be the syncros in the trans.
Well, it wouldn't be the synchros if the sound is happening when the car is already in gear, am I right? The actual gears are not grinding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not 100* sure but I think they can still make noise with it in gear. have you checked for any TSBs?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've looked but haven't found anything helpful. Hopefully, someone who has had a similar problem will chime in.

Also, I changed the tranny fluid recently and there were no metal shavings whatsoever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts