Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on putting a bigger altenator pulley on. Got the socket on the nut but when I turn it the whole engine turns. Got it in gear so that's not the problem. I'm sure this is a lefty loosey nut correct? Anyway, what else can I do to prevent the engine from turning to break this nut free?? Thanks, I'm not much of a wrench turner so I'm stumped!!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
No access to an impact gun?

Not sure about the threads ,obviously you need to turn it the appropriate direction.

With the trans in a high gear, 4 5 or 6, with the e-brake on should stop the engine from turning.

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
It definitely must be turned to the left to loosen... and it is easier with an impact. Best to unbolt the alternator, move it down and forward, then take off the bracket (4 bolts), and then aim the pulley upward to access the nut with an impact. This all requires the battery and battery tray to be pulled out.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, that's what I was worried about. I was so proud of myself that I could even get the socket on the bolt without too much work, but removing that thing is gonna suck. You gotta do what you gotta do I guess, right? Thanks for the help fellas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts