Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the drag strip on Saturday (first time ever I have run a car at the strip, ran my bike once before. I'm a road racer) with some not so good results. My car did good but the driver launch techniques had a lot to be desired. My best was a 12.73x at 114mph with consistant 2.1xx 60 ft.....I know that's pretty bad 60 ft times.

While I was there I also did three runs in a JLP tuned 03'. This car has BBK high flow cats, mine are stock, and a Diablo chip versus my Autologic. Other than that the cars are almost identical. The JLP tuned Diablo chip car had NO hesitation between shift like my car does.

My question is what chip is everyone running that is having the hesitation on hard shifts??

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same problem. I replaced my Autologic chip with the Diablo and it took care of the problem.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cobragb said:
I had the same problem. I replaced my Autologic chip with the Diablo and it took care of the problem.
I thought that might be the case. Our only local dyno tuner uses Autologic and thats why I have it.

I raced the guy with the other 03' that I drove. He got the jump on me off the line, he is running 17X10.5's on the back with 315 Nitto's and he's not afraid to launch hard, but I ran him down and beat him by a car length.

I prefer to have the chip tuned to my car while it is on the dyno. I hate to throw the 350 bucks away I spent on my Autologic chip, but if that's what it takes to get rid of the hesitation....it's only money:hammer .

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
What are your mods for the 114 trap speeds??? The hesitation is in the boost bypass you can unplug it to get rid of alot of it but I have it disabled through my diablosport chip and it will still do it some, the only way to rid it completely is disconnect the sensor and powershift the car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
I spoke to a few Autologic tuners about this over the weekend, Autologic CAN turn off the "timing retard between shifts". If you car is doing it, it can be corrected. Ford does this in the computer to keep so many people from breaking transmissions.
Eric,

You are completely right on the money. I had the same hesitation, pretty severe between shifts. After logging a few runs with the NGS, the timing was being pulled way back between shifts. The timing stays up when powershifted, and you don't get the hesitation. However, if you lift to much between shifts, you will get it. You can correct it by simply either powershifting, or only lifting slightly off the gas between shifts. If you lift enough for the processor to see a part throttle input from the tps, then the timing will pull way back, and you will have the hesitation.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trey193 said:
What are your mods for the 114 trap speeds??? The hesitation is in the boost bypass you can unplug it to get rid of alot of it but I have it disabled through my diablosport chip and it will still do it some, the only way to rid it completely is disconnect the sensor and powershift the car.
-I have a self moddified stock air box with a 9" K&N
-2.93 pulley
-Dyno tuned Autologic chip
-FM cat back

My car dynoed at 434rwhp/433rwtq SAE

The other 03' I drove with the Diablo chip does not have the boost bypass mod either. He has NO hesitation at all.

I was very conservative on my launches. Most of the reason for that is my concern for the clutch and IRS.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lguerra1 said:
Eric,

You are completely right on the money. I had the same hesitation, pretty severe between shifts. After logging a few runs with the NGS, the timing was being pulled way back between shifts. The timing stays up when powershifted, and you don't get the hesitation. However, if you lift to much between shifts, you will get it. You can correct it by simply either powershifting, or only lifting slightly off the gas between shifts. If you lift enough for the processor to see a part throttle input from the tps, then the timing will pull way back, and you will have the hesitation.
Sounds all to familiar.

I'll let you know what my tuner says.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may not launch real hard......but I can shift. If this hesitation is fixed I know it would be good for a couple of tenth's.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
It is not the chip or boost bypass, but they can add to its effect. The real problem is the return less fuel system not being able to keep up with the fast transition from WOT to not back to WOT when shifting fast causing a pressure drop in the fuel rail and pcm pulling timing from the engine. If you powershift or shift regularly it doesn't happen, but if you are shifting spiritedly sometimes it will happen if you hit it right.

Take a look at this.
http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3132

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
I know Ford started this timing retard thing in the 94 Mustang. There had been so many replaced transmissions in Mustangs prior to the 94 that they decided to make the computer pull timing to keep the transmission from breaking.

Whats weird is that in my 95 GT, It never fell on its face, it just didn't feel as strong as it should have at high rpms. When I added the Ford Motorsport SVO Extender, it shifted hard as a MOFO.

In my Cobra, it feels as if it pulls the timing out, and keeps it out for longer, and does not add it back until a second or so after the shift. I'm not yet convinced its a problem with the returnless fuel system.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
toofast4u said:
It is not the chip or boost bypass, but they can add to its effect. The real problem is the return less fuel system not being able to keep up with the fast transition from WOT to not back to WOT when shifting fast causing a pressure drop in the fuel rail and pcm pulling timing from the engine. If you powershift or shift regularly it doesn't happen, but if you are shifting spiritedly sometimes it will happen if you hit it right.

Take a look at this.
http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3132
I have to disagree with the fuel system issue. I drove a Cobra with almost the same identical mods and it has NO hesitation at all. I have driven at least four bone stockers and they don't have it either.

I can understand the added boost from a pulley may have an affect on the hesitation. But for two cars with almost the same mods, one with a Diablo chip and absolutely no hesitation and the other with an Autologic and hesitation, it leads me to the chip programming.

The reason I started this post was to find out if different chips (or tuners) have an affect on this issue.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
trmn8r said:
I have to disagree with the fuel system issue. I drove a Cobra with almost the same identical mods and it has NO hesitation at all. I have driven at least four bone stockers and they don't have it either.

I can understand the added boost from a pulley may have an affect on the hesitation. But for two cars with almost the same mods, one with a Diablo chip and absolutely no hesitation and the other with an Autologic and hesitation, it leads me to the chip programming.

The reason I started this post was to find out if different chips (or tuners) have an affect on this issue.
My car is basically stock power wise I only have QMP exhaust with cats and extreme mufflers and a densecharger. If I powershift it doesn't happen and if I regular shift it doesn't happen. If I drive sprited and shift just right it does happen. I can drive a stick btw I have done [email protected] with those mods.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The hesitation is not because of the returnless fuel system. The hesitation has to do with the programming in the pcm to pull timing between shifts. I have made several recordings of 1/4 mile passes with an NGS to determine the cause. When shifting quickly, and lifting the throttle, the pcm pulls the timing and the car will hesitate. It has nothing to do with boost bypass, returnless fuel system, etc. etc.

After making the recordings, I spoke with a friend at SVT Engineering, and he stated the same thing. It is in the programming of the pcm, and was programmed there for trans. reliability along with other factors.

If you powershift or shift very slow (granny shift), you will not experience the hesitation. And it does not matter if your car is stock or not.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just spoke to the guy that tuned my Autologic chip. He says there is a "tip in spark retarder" that he can disable with the chip. Now I need to make time to get that done.

No wonder this car is harder to chirp gears than my other Mustangs have been.:hammer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts