Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tremec Trans expert, please help

I hope this wasnt a big screwup, and I hope maybe someone out there can make me feel better about the dumb thing I did. I decided to change my tranny fluid in the tremec manual to a synthetic. No prob right. I have done lots o work before. Well, I put the car on jackstands and crawled underneath. Kinda dark, bad flashlight, but I find the drain plug. Kool. Didnt see the plug above it that said "FILL" :rolleyes: Kept lookin around, and towards the drivers side front of the tranny, there was what looked like a plug sticking out. NP, #50 torque tip and I was on my way. Damn it was tight. Ran out of room to keep the tip on it so I put the vise grips on the get it out the rest of the way. Just as it was almost out I hear "TINK". :jawdrop Uh oh, what was that? Pulled out what turned out to be some sort of pin with a snap ring groove at the end of it. The "TINK" i heard was the snap ring snapping off. :shocked I tired to put the pin back in, and fortunately after a few mins, I got it back in. The tranny shifted just fine, and I drove it without any problems.

Now this is the question of the day. What was that pin that I pulled out? How can what I did affect my car? Should I take it to the shop? Someone please help. I am scared shitless of what I may have done to it
:vomit:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
PLEASE, dont let this fall to the bottom of the list.
This trans is from a 99 Cobra. I think its the same I have. The bolt/pin in question is shown.
It is forward and above the reverse light switch electrical connector.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I found out what it is. It's the selector link pivot pin for the 5th and R selector link that attaches o the selector fork. I found a schematic on Tremec's site, and it doesnt look like a big deal. By that I mean it doesnt look like (from the picture) there is a possibility of the selector link sliding off of pivot pin without the snap ring (E-Clip) on. Hell, it's almost time to replace the clutch anyway, so when I drop the tranny, I can access the part and put a snap ring back on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts