Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 99 GT 5speed, have a strange noise at about 2000rpm and it sounds like wind noise, it will do it while the car is not moving also. And now when i push clutch to shift the rpm increases about 200rpm before idling down, also doesnt seem to run smooth anymore at an idle(stoplights). any suggestions?? could it just be plugs or o2 sensor problems???
thanks for your time
Jason

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Does it die at idle?Hard to keep running when cold?It could just be you need to clean your IAC....
Is your car stock?Could be a bad 02 as well..

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Again
car hasn't died yet. Idle will fluctuate from about 450rpm to about 1400rpm at a stoplight. slightly stumbles when you try to rev it.
Yes the idle is rougher when cold

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have you added or changed anything over the past few weeks?

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, nothing has changed for the last 25k miles except the wonderful gas prices. Car has 60k, fenderwell cold air, Borla cat-back, 3.73 motorsport gears, eibach sportlines, yellow koni SA, energy front control arm bushings. I will try cleaning the IAC, could it just be bad plugs, when should they be done? Other normal maintaince that I might have forgotten about? Oopps, one thing kinda changed 2 weeks ago, cleaned the k&n filter hoping that could be part of my problem.
Thanks for your replies
Jason

·
Registered
289 Posts
Only reason I brought up any changes is that I backed my timing down from 15* to 14* in Orlando and had some nasty surging issues on and off from that point on. In Bradenton I put it back to 15* and changed my plugs and no issues again.

Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did you reoil the K&N if so some of the oil might have gotten on the MAF wires that will fudge it up prety good spray the MAF down with carb cleaner

·
Registered
66 Posts
with "wind noise" and an idling problem i'd start with the air cleaner tubing and vaccuum leaks. then go on to the IAC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again
I did re-oil the K&N about a month ago. thats about when the idle problem started. the wind noise has had me fooled for months. Isn't the IAC like a old school choke. Just lets more air as the motor warms up. Could it be stuck, and that is the noise as air is trying hard to get through it?
Thanks
Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts