Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HIDs on a mustang. what do you guys think? i know some of you have HIDs already. stock housing or projectors? n how do they differ? what color temp is best? and what brand do you think is best? i dont want ebay stuff if there like $50, because i believe that saying, you get what you pay for. any suggestions thanks! i just want to make sure i make the right decision..

·
Registered
195 Posts
With HIDs.. you really get what you pay for. The cheaper HIDs have ballasts that are not 100% water proof... where as the ones we sell you can drop in a bucket of water and turn them on and they will work fine :bigwink:

Couple of other issues with cheap HIDs is
#1-the color is often distorted.
#2-The brightness is less bright than the ones we carry
#3-They are less durable.. ie not water proof.
#4-Some cheap HIDs use a plastic case to house the ballast. Ours use a aluminum.
#5-They take longer to warm up... ours is almost instantanrous.

We have sold the cheaper HIDs and they were a nightmare with customers coming back with bad ballast and bulbs....

Here are some pics of the units we sell

100% WATER PROOF

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what brand are they? and how much are the bi xenon 5000k HIDs?

·
Registered
73 Posts
don't put hid's in a stock headlight housing, spend the extra money and get REAL projectors retrofitted in, they'll look 100 times better and the extra light will be spread out evenly not just shooting all over the place blinding people. You figure a set of the plug and play hid's are $200, i spent around $600 to have a professional retrofit genuine projectors from a european spec audi into my factory housing, also that included top of the line ballasts, bulbs, and wiring harness. Heres a quick cell phone pic of what a proper hid retrofit should look like. The spread on these hid's are excellent, i had a plug and play kit before this and the light was just focused in hot spots in front of the car, now with the retrofit, i have a complete 180 degree light output, there amazing

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow that is pretty bright! nice lighting too! what temp is that bulb? i like the solid white color. did you do the fogs also?

·
Registered
115 Posts
don't put hid's in a stock headlight housing, spend the extra money and get REAL projectors retrofitted in, they'll look 100 times better and the extra light will be spread out evenly not just shooting all over the place blinding people. You figure a set of the plug and play hid's are $200, i spent around $600 to have a professional retrofit genuine projectors from a european spec audi into my factory housing, also that included top of the line ballasts, bulbs, and wiring harness. Heres a quick cell phone pic of what a proper hid retrofit should look like. The spread on these hid's are excellent, i had a plug and play kit before this and the light was just focused in hot spots in front of the car, now with the retrofit, i have a complete 180 degree light output, there amazing
Do you have pics of the headlamps themselves? I agree thats the best way to go but I like a finished look and just am wondering what those projectors installed in your lamps looks like.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i'll have some pics tonight

·
Registered
73 Posts
i really don't have any good front views of my car, and i don't have a digital camera, this pic was taken with my cell phone awhile back. When i had the headlights done i had the guy black out the whole inside, they look really nice in person, and the cutoff has a nice blueish, look.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You don't really have to get the headlights retro-fitted.... You can buy new headlights for about $150-$200 on ebay which would eliminate some of the scatter you are refering to. With our kit and new headlights the total costs would be a about $350 and you get new headlights also :bigwink:

BTW, our kit is top of the line and not some cheap eBay crap:dunno2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
retrosolutions was the name of the place he has like a 6 month waiting list, hid's were not meant to be in a halogen reflector housing, drive a car with a plug and play hid kit and then a car with real projector hid's(such as a bmw, lexus, etc) and you'll see the difference, night and day. I wanted to do something different, not that many mustang guys that have hid retrofits.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't drive at night very often and $600 would go along way else where. I do agree that factory HIDs work very well(I miss my Audi). When I am ready to do this i will give these guys a look. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ive heard that HIDs dont look good in halogen housings so does anyone have any pictures of projectors on their stang? doesnt it look a bit ricey?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts