Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys post pic of your hood pins.

I kinda like the ones Chad has (mean looking IMHO).

Thanks
Darren

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Here's a pic of mine!!!

Drilling a perfectly painted hood was a nerve wracking experience, but the results are nice. The added safety of not having your hood pop open at high speeds is a great side benefit.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, that looks REALLY good! What brand are those pins? FRPP? How much did they cost?
Sweet car!

Darren

·
Registered
115 Posts
don't do hood pins. no matter what brand they all end up rusting and looking like s***. wish i never did mine. get a good quality hood with a good latch and don't ruin it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
4V_GTS said:
Man, that looks REALLY good! What brand are those pins? FRPP? How much did they cost?
Sweet car!

Darren
Darren:

The hood pins are the FRPP ones and they really look good. Part number M16700A @ ~ $35.00. They come with torsion pins as you can see in the pics. Contrary to what Mr. david99fobra said, the pins (which are stainless steel), will not rust at all. All you will need to do is polish them every once in a while with mothers polishing compound and be done with them. I've had mine for 2 years and they look exactly like what you see in the pics above. Heck even if they do rust a new set of them or a new backing plate is less than $35. I can live with the peace of mind of having my hood latched when going down the track. Having an aftermarket hood or even a stocker like mine flying out at you at a high rate of speed is surely not fun. I've seen my share of flying hoods mangle really nice cars... Go for it !!!

Take Care,
JC

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be getting a fiberglass hood soon, so I want the extra security. My friend does alot of custom fiberglassing for street bikes, so I've seen how easily it can "tear". Having the fiberglass latch rip out while I'm crossing the traps at 115mph is what I want to avoid. I will probably have the bodyshop do it b/c I would probably mess it up:eek:

Summit has them for $34.95, but are back ordered. I'm going to check out a couple local shops today.
Thanks JC!

Darren

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Cool !!!

NP Darren !!! I hope it all works out OK after your little fender bender...

Take care,
JC

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any pics with the hood open to see where and how you attached them to the header panel? I have the FRPP kit sitting at home collecting dust. Been a little apprehensive to install it due to the fact it had no instructions and I have done one before.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
My car has the FRPP Pins also. I drilled and riveted the wear plate to the hood though, instead of the screws. My pins were also welded into my upper tie bar. It turned out nice and works great. Like previously said, not having to worry with the rust is nice.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Here are some pics for you BLKCobra01 !!!

BLKCobra01 said:
Any pics with the hood open to see where and how you attached them to the header panel? I have the FRPP kit sitting at home collecting dust. Been a little apprehensive to install it due to the fact it had no instructions and I have done one before.
Some pics of the hood pin install... I hope it helps some.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
xtremejc: Thanks for the pics. Thats some pretty serious drilling you have to do on the hood. Last question is where did you mount the pins on the header panel? Were you able to use a exisiting hole or did you have to drill new ones?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BLKCobra01 said:
xtremejc: Thanks for the pics. Thats some pretty serious drilling you have to do on the hood. Last question is where did you mount the pins on the header panel? Were you able to use a exisiting hole or did you have to drill new ones?
What he said:D

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Thanks for the posts, I'd really like to see how you mounted the pins on the main rad support. If anyone has pictures of how they mounted the pins inside it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Dave, on the radiator support (upper tie bar) where your ajustable hood stops go, is where I mounted my pins. I think I removed the hood stop and drilled it out just a bit for the pin to fit in cleanly there. Then I installed the nut onto the pin and welded the pin to the nut and the nut to the radiator support. I then painted it and put a rubber stop around it. It turned out really nice and you never have to worry about the pins comming loose.

Chad

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Thats a pretty good idea because on my new hood I can see the marks where it was hitting the stops. That way I just need to drill out the marks where it was hitting. Sounds like thats the easiest way to do it that has the least amount of risk for mistake. IF anyone knows where to buy them please reply, I'm going to overnight them.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
IMO the Ford Motorsport pin kit is the best. The Pins and hardware are stainless steel and it will not rust. Randy Stinchcomb is pretty close to you, I'd check with him. You will need 2 pin kits though, as one kit only contains 2 pins.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts