Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where one of these exist? With this being such a popular swap right now, it would seem like one would exist. If not, it would sure help a bunch of people out if someone made one.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WITH PICTURES! :)

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Damn good idea Rad, better yet, lets make it a Headswap FAQ in General.

Part 1 - swapping to PI heads

Part 2 - swapping to 4V heads

I don't know anyone personally local that has done the swap, so you guys that have, start replying.

We need instructions, parts needed, and pictures.

Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has Mike Wesley? He replied to another thread I was reading on here about the same thing, sounds like he's done it a time or three.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't done 4V stuff.. but I've put PI and SVO heads and swapped covers on Cobra, Explorer and Romeo iron blocks.

I have a couple engines apart.. I could go take some pix fo them. Shows that the differences are.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Right first name, wrong last name. Mike Tymensky did it.

excepts from www.ModularPerformance.com.

Franken-Modular Lives

At NMRA's Columbus event we put a rod thru the side of our aluminum spray bore block. Completely trashed. We needed to quickly assemble a replacement if we were to stay in the point's chase of NMRA's Hot Street class.

A quick request to FRPP for a replacement block netted a "none available" reply. We looked around and found a new 4.6L Windsor cast iron block that was available. Assembling a 4-valve engine on a cast iron 4.6L block would be unique. Time was short and that's all we had.

In the basement was a Cobra crank, stock hyperu pistons and Manley H beams with ARP 2000 bolts; Canton windage tray and a Cobra pick up tube. Dale from Propower sent us the latest in Federal Mogul Performance bearings and the crank was balanced and made ready for assembly. The cylinder heads were sent to More Power Performance for inspection. Dick worked his magic on a couple of new valves and some grinding and polishing, cylinder #5 looked as good as the rest.

With the short block assembled, it was time to install the heads. This engine used stock pistons that did not have valve clearance to handle our racing profile cams. We installed a smaller set of Modularperformance designed cams and proceeded to verify valve clearance. The test showed that there was plenty of clearance. This was done on the right side (#1 - 4 cylinders). The chain guide and tensioner fit correctly. On the left side, the bottom chain guide hole did not have a tapped hole in the block to retain a bolt.

On the latest blocks, the chain guide has been design to mount over one of the oil pump bolts. There is a combination stud/bolt used to retain the pump and chain guide. Not wanting to buy a new chain guide, we decided to use the Cobra chain guide. The boss for the bolt was still on the block. We spotted the hole using the chain guide fastened by the other 2 bolts. After removing the chain guide, the oil pump was removed and the openings taped up. We then drilled thru into the high-pressure oil feed hole to the oil filter. Opps! We finished tapping and noted to use RTV when fastening the bolt in this hole. After cleaning out the oil passage and the front of the block, the oil pump was re-installed. The chain system was then installed and looked great. That one tapped hole was the only thing we found that needed correcting if you want to install 4 valve heads on a cast iron block.

The only other unique difference we found was one of the Front Cover boltholes does not have a corresponding tapped hole in the block. After further evaluation, we decided to apply a little RTV around the bolthole area and see what happens. 3 weeks later and that Front Cover area is still dry. Again, this is a race car, not a daily driver so it might just leak later on.

The Franken-Modular had a compression ratio of 10.2 to 1 and a new set of cams. The tune was way out and with no time for dyno tuning, it was decided to make adjustments at Maple Grove.

The best at Maple Grove was a 10.84 at ???mph. The weekend ended with 3 wore out spark plug threads. The heads were fixed by heli-coiling them. After re-assembling the engine and re-installing it in the car, we were off to the Modular Shoot Out. What a weekend.

Without dragging this out any further, the Franken-modular performed flawless (we thought). The best time of the weekend was a 10.001 @ 134 mph. This is outstanding for a GT level cast iron block and pistons with FR 4 valve cylinder heads. The cast iron block necessitated electric fans to keep it cool. The weight penalty was an additional 127#. Now we weigh in at 2925#.

That's all we found if you want to add 4 valve heads to your cast iron modular block.

With his old engine he ran [email protected] N/A

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
Damn good idea Rad, better yet, lets make it a Headswap FAQ in General.

Part 1 - swapping to PI heads

Part 2 - swapping to 4V heads

I don't know anyone personally local that has done the swap, so you guys that have, start replying.

We need instructions, parts needed, and pictures.

Thanks
Eric
Have you had any success in putting this together? Congrats on the article in MM&FF this month

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't just sit there waiting for the data to fall into your lap man, be PROACTIVE. Start asking the heavy hitters that hang out here, I know they've got to have experience with this swap.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WTF is up with chat, it keeps timing out before I can connect. Damn famundanet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
im doing a 4v swap in my 96gt and making an informitave step by step video of the whole thing from start to finish, i am using a 04 mach1 crate motor and changing out the shortblock for a 99cobra forged shortblock. ill let everyone know when i am done with it!

BTW, i am putting a novi2000 on it also!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're just swapping a 4v into a 2v engine bay. What we want to know is how does someone swap a set of 4v heads onto a 2v shortblock.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Would you be keeping the stock electronics and computers with this headswap? I know someond did it as they had it posted maybe on Modulardepot at some point I believe. If it was straight forward it would be a lot better than the ported heads.

·
Registered
172 Posts
my 2 cents

I'm getting ready to pull a Lincoln Mark VIII motor out of a donor car... I'm actually using the Lincoln aluminum block with my existing 2V PI heads from the 2000 GT, so therefore I've done some research on a related subject. I'm sort of doing the opposite, and it's also going into a 2V car, so it's a little bit easier than the other way around.

Let me know if you need any pictures of a particular part,

One observation is that the wiring harness is huge, it's all over the place, so I think this needs careful consideration.

IMRC plates are another possible issue going with a 4V conversion. One solution is a window switch controller... don't have any details, just something to consider. This is a really neat system by the way... there are 16 intake tubes, two per cylinder... 8 are longer for better midrange tuning and go right through the IMRC plates to 8 of the intake valves, and the other 8 are shorter intake tracks tuned for higher RPM's and go through a butterfly plate type controller which closes at lower RPM's... the result is excellent flow at higher RPM's and excellent velocity at lower RPM's.

The timing cover does not seem like a big issue... tapping new hole into a boss... or using RTV to seal the cover, either way is easy... but I would use a drill stop if using the tapping method.

I have a set of 4V heads with anything else needed (I have the whole car actually) if someone's interested in them by the way. I would recommend this for a 96-98 GT by the way, as it will make more of a difference, easier to do (similar ignition system) and the 4V combustion chamber is more compatible with the 96-98 pistons. Biggest reason... cheaper than a PI headswap, and MORE POWER!!!!

Another thing I have to add.... is consider the Apten head cooling mod. It will provide more coolant flow through the heads, which usually suffer from higher temp on the back side. (2v or 4v, both could benefit)

Dave

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are talking about just swaping the heads, or the heads/cams onto a 2V block?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts