Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know the ones that have the teeth and or grooves, the ones the big boys use on the pro dragsters? I understand that you'd need all new pulleys, but... wouldn't that be kick as$ and worth it maybe 6 to 7 hundered bucks for the whole kit all pulleys and belt. Talk about no belt slipage.. If someone out there uses this idea and markets it I want one free haha.. I'm a dreamer what can I say. Its probable been asked and
beaten to death, but I cann't stand reading about belt slip. Yes I am looking for the more boost also

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
If your thinking of a COG belt system? They are very unforgiving on a street car.There needs to be some slip at some point or you can break the blower..

jim v.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake the blower, really? Can you explain..:confused:

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I heard the same thing. Great for a drag car, but not a street car. I wish I was able to give a good explination why but I just heard it wouldn't work.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
brad65 said:
Brake the blower, really? Can you explain..:confused:
All blowers can only spin so fast. Slippage can act like a fuse and not enable the blower to get to that point.

jim v.

G

·
I had the same huge cog belt on my 671 supercharged mid engined Oldsmobile 442 for 3 years and never had a prob. They are designed not to fit tight...but with that toothed design the dont need to be tight...they bite real good. So with saying they dont last or break things...never happened to me and I drove that car alot.....hard too.

I say a Cog system would be great for no belt slip on our cars....but our setup just isnt setup for that. Some of the Vortech Blower guys are running a separate system like the cog now too. So if you could figure a way to have the blower turned only in coin with the a pulley on the crank and not the rest of the idlers and crap...it could be done.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
282 Posts
One of the Pro 5.0 cars is using a chain drive blower this year. It was covered in either 5.0 or MM&FF, I can't remember which.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I haven't seen a cogged serpentine belt system.

I don't know if they are possible or exist. To use a conventional cogged belt would be a huge amount of work to redesign the accesory drive.

JT

·
Registered
309 Posts
Like Jimmy said, COG belts are very hard on parts. The pulleys have to be perfectly matched, or you will chew up belts. Not to mention, you will go through quite a few cog belts for every one 8-rib serpentine belt you replace. I agree it is the answer for a race car, but typically not for a street bruiser.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Slippage can act like a fuse and not enable the blower to get to that point.
So, when people are using idlers to stop slipage they are like removing the fuse? Still confused on that. But I think I understand your point, by the Eaton is saying "I can't spin that fast and get you that much boost" So what do you think would brake the main shaft? Mabe the guys at Eaton would know.

Hot Rod Harry, that makes sense that they wouldn't need to be tight, thanks for your input also, I'm confused about
So if you could figure a way to have the blower turned only in coin with the a pulley on the crank and not the rest of the idlers and crap...it could be done.
Do you mean the gear reduction, I don't think its a problem, I do believe it would take some time to get all the pulley ratios correct.
I'm still confused tho.:confused:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aren't we puting to much pressure on the shafts tring to stop slipage?

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
if you put on a wider belt, wouldn't you have to get a wider upper pulley? and probably wider lower/idler pulleys also? I think doing any of this would be too much trouble for belt slip. The metco and billetflow idler seems to help stop slippage with the upper pulley. I don't think its a big enough problem to take it this far.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Whow , A coged belt will distroy this blower , There needs to be some slip. The snout, and berring will fail. A coged blower set up has a specific berring combo. made for super hi rpm.
The major thing is when you hit the gas and then let off, you know rap it . There is slip on asseleration and decel. this is how these blowers last, We are trying to stop most of that not all of it.
Oh And I think what you are talking about is a polly chain, that is still a belt , Not A steel chain, If so that will not work, or not for long . chain is too heavy.
nitro

·
Registered
511 Posts
I understand some of you guys are not into the whole “bling” thing, but keep in mind I have a truck, and get off on shiny parts, but after seeing the Ford GT engine, and the polished up 10 rib pulley system, I got to thinking about doing something similar, but I just wanted a little feed back from the more technical folks.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pete, I think I finially understand thank you. 10 rib make alot of sense.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts