Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Livernois 298 stroker kit & a set of their stage 3 ported head with the 1mm oversized valves . Seems like the valve train is noisey . How do you check to see if the lash adjuster need to be adjuster ? Next how do adjust them ? Do you have to shim them & where do you get the shims from? Are there any specs for how loose or tight the followers should be? I thought that they did not need to be shimmed because they are hydraulic ,unless the machine work on the head change the height of the valves .

Thanks , Sam.

·
05 BOSS 302
3,947 Posts
What cams do are you running? Stiffer springs than stock? What is the status of your VCT sytem? Stock, lockouts, or limiters?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running stock cams with with Livernois cam phaser limiters due to the stiffer springs that came on the stage 3 heads .

·
Registered
191 Posts
I installed a Livernois 298 stroker kit & a set of their stage 3 ported head with the 1mm oversized valves . Seems like the valve train is noisey . How do you check to see if the lash adjuster need to be adjuster ? Next how do adjust them ? Do you have to shim them & where do you get the shims from? Are there any specs for how loose or tight the followers should be? I thought that they did not need to be shimmed because they are hydraulic ,unless the machine work on the head change the height of the valves .

Thanks , Sam.
The lash adjusters are non-adjustable. The only way to adjust the lash is to either shim the adjuster or to machine the lash adjuster itself. The lash is normally checked by using a bled down lash adjuster and installing the camshaft so that the based circle of the camshaft is on the follower roller. Then you depress the follower/adjuster assembly and measure with a feeler gauge the clearance between the follower roller and the base circle of the camshaft. Is this something that you did when you assembled the heads onto the longblock or when you installed the camshafts?

Are you hearing noise from one area in particular or just a general noise?

Just let me know and I am sure we can figure it out for you.

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a general noise that sounds like a valve train noise from each side. I did not check them when I installed the heads . I need the specs to check them before I completely reassembly the engine compartment . What is the clearance that am looking for with the adjuster bled down & the cam on the base circle ? Were do you get the shims needed to go under the lash adjuster ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The clearance you are looking for is between .016-.028. If its in that range it should be close.

If you need shims I can get them for you if you just let me know how thick. Ideally though you should not have to shim anything. Just let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance and I will do my best.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
444 Posts
i'm having the same exact problem on a 298 stroker short block from livernois ported heads stock springs, cams, phasers... i'm going to check oil presure today with a mechanical gauge!

·
Registered
444 Posts
i checked oil presure when cold it has 80 pounds and when it get hot 28 and the chain tensioner, lifters and phasers start making noise!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
The hydraulic lash adjusters used on the 3 valve engine are particularly noisy. Lots of ticking noise coming from them. In the world of lash adjusters, they are 'normally open', where 99% of the hydraulic lash adjusters out there are 'normally closed'. They have several advantages, but the big disadvantage is the noise they make.

There are other noises from the stock bits of the valvetrain; some stock cams produce a chatter or chirp, most notable around 900-1200 rpm. If the car was made after November 07 (er, 06 I think, it was an issue for the 07 model year), it shouldn't be this.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The clearance you are looking for is between .016-.028. If its in that range it should be close.

If you need shims I can get them for you if you just let me know how thick. Ideally though you should not have to shim anything. Just let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance and I will do my best.

Thanks
Mike
Ford's specs on clearance is between .045 and .085. That seems a bit wide to me. Why are you suggesting a smaller clearance which sounds more in line?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ford's specs on clearance is between .045 and .085. That seems a bit wide to me. Why are you suggesting a smaller clearance which sounds more in line?
The .045 to .085 is mm and the spec I listed was in inches. If you convert the .045mm you get .002 and .085mm gets you .003.

We go slightly tighter than that but only a couple of thousandths. This range seems to work best.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I know I am.

·
Old School
2,801 Posts
Well then I would change your oil immediately. Try some Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, or Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
That's completely ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
There's no need to be a wise guy. Just state your case.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts