Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed the HE fans and put inline switches to ground out pins 46 and 82 as others have provided here and on SVTPerformance. For reference sake:

The engine cooling fan high speed lead is PIN #46 (Green w/Purple stripe)

Intercooler pump, ground PCM pin #82 (White w/Orange stripe)

Anyway, at the track I had a generator and a battery charger set to 6 amps on the battery while I had the car in the accessory position and both fans (radiator and the dual 6.5" SPAL fans) running and killed the battery in 20 minutes. Should I go direct DC from my generator to these through a lead that 'Y's into the factory fan and my new fans? How do you guys power the fans and not kill batteries while cooling off the car at the track?

BTW: My new best is 7.55 @ 95mph in the 1/8th. Couldn't get the 60' under 1.84 even w/ ET Streets because the clutch wouldn't hold it. Time for a new clutch, input shaft and cool air. I'd love to see a 6.9x at 100mph in - DA weather w/ a 2.93 pullied Eaton but that may be asking too much, well see.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
I dont see any reason to run the radiator fan if you arent pumping water through the system. All you will be doing is cooling the water in the radiator. Same goes for the HE. If your going to run the fans on the HE then you should have the HE pump going as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should clarify:

HE Pump AND fans are running when I ground out the HE pump lead. My HE fans are on a power relay that is triggered off the intercooler pump.

Engine cooling fan: your right, it should only run for maybe 5mins, long enough to chill the coolant in the radiator. That will help!

Any other input?

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Jerry said:
I should clarify:

HE Pump AND fans are running when I ground out the HE pump lead. My HE fans are on a power relay that is triggered off the intercooler pump.

Engine cooling fan: your right, it should only run for maybe 5mins, long enough to chill the coolant in the radiator. That will help!

Any other input?
Ideally I would think you would want the engine coolant at operating temp when you make a run so I personally wouldnt be as concerned with engine temps. I think the HE pump and fans is a decent idea though.

Last time at the track I did a few bursts of hotlaps and if nothing else I found my car to be very consistant regardless of the heat.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
KB doesnt heat soak as bad though. With the high speed radiator fan running with the IC pump circulating, the fan moves hot air out of the engine bay with outside ambient air into the engine instead of lettin it stagnate. Your are correct about the water only being cooled in the radiator, I start my car up and cycle the coolant threw every 5 minutes, cools off alot quicker.

I see a 2mph decrease in cold runs and hotlap runs with the heaton. Run 122-123 with it cool, and 120-121 when it hot.

I think the ecu also has a timing table which bases spark advance/timing on coolant temps as well. My car never runs good bone cold, but seems to do alot better with the temp gage halfway between cold and in the middle.

I also just added a set of Amazon HE fans, and it cools things down drastically.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Jerry said:
ok, just realized part of my problem after I found the link to where I bought the fans, each HE fan pulls ~ 6.5amps, no telling what the radiator fan pulls, anyone know?

http://www.jaycorptech.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=5
I measured the following:

HE fans/IC pump: 15.5amps
HE fans/IC pump and high-speed rad. fan: 53amps
HE fans and HS rad fan and bottle warmer: :) 75amps OUCH!

MJ

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
broke7 said:
KB doesnt heat soak as bad though. With the high speed radiator fan running with the IC pump circulating, the fan moves hot air out of the engine bay with outside ambient air into the engine instead of lettin it stagnate. Your are correct about the water only being cooled in the radiator, I start my car up and cycle the coolant threw every 5 minutes, cools off alot quicker.

I see a 2mph decrease in cold runs and hotlap runs with the heaton. Run 122-123 with it cool, and 120-121 when it hot.

I think the ecu also has a timing table which bases spark advance/timing on coolant temps as well. My car never runs good bone cold, but seems to do alot better with the temp gage halfway between cold and in the middle.

I also just added a set of Amazon HE fans, and it cools things down drastically.
Good idea on turning the car on every 2 mins. I had my best run when the car was bone cold but that was probably because the clutch was bone cold ;) The factory clutch and the MPH went down the rest of the night, and my 60' times increased, as the clutch slip increased.

Broke7, [email protected] 1/8th, what was your 1/4 mile time on that run and your DA/weather? I'd love to run a 6.9x @100 in really cool weather/- DA, what do you think?

Jerry

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mjchip said:
I measured the following:

HE fans/IC pump: 15.5amps
HE fans/IC pump and high-speed rad. fan: 53amps
HE fans and HS rad fan and bottle warmer: :) 75amps OUCH!

MJ
Holy Crap, 53amps!!!!!!!!!! What did you do to power those beasts? I remembered from your post about the car running lean after killing the battery that is why I was sure to bring my Honda Generator and battery charger but dang, 53 amps is a hole lotta watts, my generator is only 2000 watts. Any ideas?

Jerry

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Jerry said:
Holy Crap, 53amps!!!!!!!!!! What did you do to power those beasts? I remembered from your post about the car running lean after killing the battery that is why I was sure to bring my Honda Generator and battery charger but dang, 53 amps is a hole lotta watts, my generator is only 2000 watts. Any ideas?

Jerry
53Amps * 13.5Volts ~ 716Watts

MJ

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, education for me! Thanks Mark. I'm going to look at pigtail leads from the fans to power them directly, do you think that would work or harm the car's electrical system?

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
My 1/4 mile on that run a was a 11.25 @ 122 with the 7.24 @ 98 on a 1.64 60ft, It was in mid to high 80 degree temps. I did the altitude density calculation and it was 2100ft that day.

My track is at sealevel "221ft" I ran last weekend and went [email protected] in 60 degree weather overcast and a bit of humidity on a 1.80 60ft. So the weather helped it out in the last 1/8th, it went [email protected] on that pass. So it picked up 13-15 hundreths up in last 1/8th and only fell short of my previous best of 11.25 by 2 hundreths. Pretty good considering it was 1.80 60ft.

·
Registered
374 Posts
idle the car to cool it down....

i have a fan switch and even bigger than stock radiators....that's what i do

m.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Broke, appreciate the info.

Maoun, do you have an aftermarket engine coolant radiator as well and if so which one?

Jerry

·
Registered
374 Posts
fluidyne.....it's HUGE and awesome....i run it with distilled water and water wetter....and a fan switch...

i'm putting the HE on soon with fans and a switch to power it and the coolant pump for when the car is off.

it's an awesome unit....WAY bigger so you have to do a decent amount of mods to make it fit....not made for our cars, the one for ours is too small :)

m.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts