Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellas Im in the process of getting all the parts together for the solid axle swap. A custom built axle assembly is about $2000 (DTS). I can buy a brand new one from ford for $750. Big difference quality and durability wise between the two. There was a little bit of discussion about this on svtperformance.com and I need some input. I know a factory 8.8 isn't the long term answer but don't you think I could get a good bit of usage out of it until I get things together to beef it up to standards? I think a factory 8.8 would hold up longer than the irs would before failing in some kind of way. Im sure eventually you would burn up the posi unit or maybe even bust an axle but I think it would be a while before it happened. Im not and probably don't plan on running all out slicks, so what do you think???

All opinions please

Thanks

Mike :)

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I think you are right. To a point. If you get a 28 spline unit, it may fail a lot faster than you think.

Put the stocker in, it'll most likely be fine for a while. But don't be suprised when you need to buy some 31 spline axles, ring and pinion, and some type of diff. The axles and gears are cheap, the diff could be anything from a cheap spool to a pricey Torson diff. Don't forget some control arms, and beefing up the torque boxes would be a good idea while it's accessable. Maybe a TA cover to help hold the main caps in place too. You could have the tubes welded to the diff for extra strength too.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if I go with a factory unit to buy time and money, it will only be until next winter. I was planning on picking up the better components during next race season at some of the events when prices are discounted. There are a lot of guys with superchargers, nitrous, turbos etc, that still run the factory 8.8 problem free. I don't think it will last as long but Im just trying to get a time table to determine if its worth throwing in or if I should just fork out the money for a good one now.

Thanks

·
Registered
924 Posts
moser engineering makes a bolt in 9inch rear end for the mustang . the after market parts for the 9inch is endless . you could always put in 40spline gun drilled axles with a spool and your gear of choice and would never ever have to worry about a rear end failure again. even with the 35 spline axles you would never have a problem. Ok maybe a little overkill but if your going to spend that kind of money do it right the first time. Just my thoughts.:blob

·
Registered
87 Posts
conleymotorsports said:
moser engineering makes a bolt in 9inch rear end for the mustang . the after market parts for the 9inch is endless . you could always put in 40spline gun drilled axles with a spool and your gear of choice and would never ever have to worry about a rear end failure again. even with the 35 spline axles you would never have a problem. Ok maybe a little overkill but if your going to spend that kind of money do it right the first time. Just my thoughts.:blob
Got a link? I am interested.

BTW, to answer the original poster, luck of the draw, I would say. I've seen a lot of runs on the stock rear by GT guys, like my brother, but I've also seen what appeared to be a stock new GT bust the crap out of the thing on an easy launch.

My brother and his buddy (both ASE certified techs who do all of my work for free) tell me that they don't think a stock 8.8 will hold up for any appreciable amount of time to the 444 RWHP I am making right now, FWIW.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There was a recent post on this site about a stock (or very close to stock) '03 Mach 1 twisting an axle in half... think it only took 2 launches at the track w/sticky tires.

MJ

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
we have built 8.8's that last in 8 sec cars...

I am going that route in my car, almost have all the parts now........it will work just fine when built properly......plus the way the pinion gear sits lower in a 9" rear robs power due to the climb and the power it takes to drive it compared to a 8.8.............just a thought based on building literally 100's of 8.8's over the years.......hermann:D

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my mind is pretty much made up. Im buying an brand new built 8.8 from dts. Its a little pricey but I shouldn't have to worry about breakage for a while! The only thing I dont like is in order to keep the tc and abs I have to use c-clip axles. I didn't want to do that but I want my car fully streetable like it was when I bought it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think your making a wise decision. I broke a stock axle in my old 5.0 when it was a low 13 second car on 8" slicks. Since then the rear build up is the first thing I do to my cars. Not saying that some dont get lucky, but I dont like having to wait for the flatbed to arrive long after the track has closed. Youll be better off if for no other reason than piece of mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts