Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '00 L a couple months ago and have a 4 psi pulley kit on the way. They (RPM Outlet.com) said it was ok to run on the factory program, but I thought I'd try to get other peoples' input as well. Is 12 psi of boost safe to run without a chip? This will be the only modification for now other than an open K&N. Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am no expert but I ran a 4lb pulley for 4 months with out a chip. I have a chip but removed it due to detenation. Detenation sound like your shaking up a paint can. The stock computer worked fine I just upped my octane to 94 pump gas and added a tube of octane booster. the pensoil kind.

Suavy

·
Registered
418 Posts
thumptruck said:
I just bought a '00 L a couple months ago and have a 4 psi pulley kit on the way. They (RPM Outlet.com) said it was ok to run on the factory program, but I thought I'd try to get other peoples' input as well. Is 12 psi of boost safe to run without a chip? This will be the only modification for now other than an open K&N. Thanks, Jim.
thumptruck, anytime you run 2 lbs. more boost on a stock lightning engine, you stand to experience , not only Knock Retard, but it can hinder the performance at wide open throttle. A good rule of thumb here is if you are running a 2 lb. pulley, you might want to regap the sparkplugs from the stock .042 to .045 factory setting, down to .040 for safety measures against having any premature problems.

If you are going to install a 4 lb. Lower Crank Pulley, then you must go to One Range Colder Sparkplug and gap the plugs at .040 , plus also have someone make you a Performance Chip , to not only enhance the performance, but to also assure you of getting the proper Air/Fuel Mixture on remapping the Fuel Curve of your PCM, for Ultimate Performance at wide open throttle.

Hope this helps, as any Supercharger Pulley, Lower or Upper producing over 2 lbs. boost , needs to have a Performance Chip & Sparkplugs (preferrably one range colder) changed out with a tighter gap setting of at least .040 for the engine to be efficient.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I am finding that the general concensus is not to run the 4 lb. pulley without a chip. Although some people may have done it and been ok, it sounds like there is a definite possibilty of trouble with that much more boost on the stock program. I think, as you stated Terry, the fuel mapping probably needs to be modified (injector pulse width) to accommodate the extra airflow of the 4 psi of boost.

When you say "knock retard" are you referring to spark knock (preignition/detonation) or are you talking about the ECU retarding timing when it senses or detects knock in the engine? Does the Lightning have a knock sensor which the ECU uses to pull timing in boost for safety? Thanks for the info and advice.

Jim.

·
Registered
418 Posts
thumptruck said:
Thanks for the comments.

I am finding that the general concensus is not to run the 4 lb. pulley without a chip. Although some people may have done it and been ok, it sounds like there is a definite possibilty of trouble with that much more boost on the stock program. I think, as you stated Terry, the fuel mapping probably needs to be modified (injector pulse width) to accommodate the extra airflow of the 4 psi of boost.

When you say "knock retard" are you referring to spark knock (preignition/detonation) or are you talking about the ECU retarding timing when it senses or detects knock in the engine? Does the Lightning have a knock sensor which the ECU uses to pull timing in boost for safety? Thanks for the info and advice.

Jim.
Jim, as many of us know already, the Lightning's do come with Knock Sensors from the factory, but they are disbabled for some apparent reason. Knock Retard is premature detonation and when the PCM senses it, it automatically retards the timing under most wide open throttle responses, to prevent severe detonation and also from keeping the pistons from grenading! Hope this helps, as having a Chip programmed to combat against this, is the best insurance policy you can have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts