Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How does one go about adjusting pinion angle on a 2011 GT AUTO WITHOUT having an adjustable Upper Control Arm or WITHOUT relocation brackets? The car is NOT lowered. The reason I ask is that ever since installing an Upper and Lower Control Arm Package I have a definite clunking noise when cruising at 30-45 and let off the gas and ease back on the gas when in traffic. This is a forward and back noise not side to side. It sounds like something is moving forward and back about 1" and is metal to metal. It is also not road noise which was expected with the new UCA/LCAs. My friend and I followed the instructions that speak of having the car's suspension loaded when tightening everything however we do recall needing to push the rear diff forward about an inch in order to get the upper control arm bolts in place. I have spoken to a few great shops that are on the thread here and they have told me to definitely look at resetting the pinion angle however I have not found anything on the net on how to set it...just how to check it. I would prefer to check and set it myself if possible ;) Ideas anyone?

· Registered
997 Posts
Only way that you will be able to adj pinion angle is either with adj. UCA or Adj. LCA's. Does the LCA's you have use Poly bushings or Hime joints?

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How could the pinion angle have changed if you cannot adjust the pinion angle unless you have an adj UCA or relocation brackets?

My UCA and the LCAs have the Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings.

· Registered
997 Posts
You can measure stock UCA and LCA's and check against measurements of your after market parts. if they all measure same the pinion angle should be good.
Only other thing that could be causing the noise is a busted bushing.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
There's nothing as quiet as factory parts which is awesome.
If your going to change out the upper arm it should be adjustable or atleast the Roush arm which is shorter for more agressive pinion angle.
Never go with hime joints they are noisey. That stuff is made for track cars.

· Registered
1,108 Posts
If you're unwilling to put in the hardware to adjust it on the rear end, then you're stuck shimming things like the trans mount or crossmember to change the angle on the engine/trans end to suit the current angle of the pinion.

Measure first though of course, sounds like you don't know the angle at this time.

I'm assuming you don't have a stock driveshaft in my comments.
And if the OP does have the stock driveshaft, he's probably hearing the slop in the OEM shaft...

· Registered
321 Posts
lose bolts

The upper and lower control arms no longer have the cushion in them that the factory parts had. The "clunk you here is the bolts that hold them against the new bushings, which are slightly too small. I am willing to bet the Ford stuff is metric and the LCAs use american standard bolts that are very close but not the right size.I noticed this when I put mine in. Only way to solve it is to find bolts that are exactly the right diameter for the control arms then ream or drill the brackets and / or bushings for them. Pinion angle should be fine as is, my car has 44,000 miles on it without any problems. I have the relocation brackets and stock height suspension. I had intended to fix mine, and will post about it if I ever get annoyed enough to fix it!

· Registered
1,429 Posts
Good point.

The upper and lower control arms no longer have the cushion in them that the factory parts had. The "clunk you here is the bolts that hold them against the new bushings, which are slightly too small. I am willing to bet the Ford stuff is metric and the LCAs use american standard bolts that are very close but not the right size.I noticed this when I put mine in. Only way to solve it is to find bolts that are exactly the right diameter for the control arms then ream or drill the brackets and / or bushings for them. Pinion angle should be fine as is, my car has 44,000 miles on it without any problems. I have the relocation brackets and stock height suspension. I had intended to fix mine, and will post about it if I ever get annoyed enough to fix it!

· Registered
158 Posts
...right on the money! as I also removed the bushings and saw the difference in bolt diameter. :good:

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bad Intention, pardon my noobness but which bushing would be busted if one was busted?

kdanner, stock driveshaft

gregsdart, great point as I noticed that upon install but had forgot about that!

riceburner, where can I see more pics of your car! Love the look!

Everyone, Thank you for all of the tips and pointers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.