Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on putting my build together and ending up somewhere in the neighborhood of around 450HP off of a D1SC...i have a 2000 gt with the stock t45 in it, and as far as i know the stock clutch...i deffinately would prefer my clutch to let go before i shred a tranny but im wondering if any of you guys are running your stock t45's under boost...also did you stick with the stock clutch or did you upgrade to something with more clamping power...like i said..i would rather replace a clutch then a tranny...and i have to drive this thing all the way out to new mexico from tennessee soon, i dont plan on hammering through the gears but i do plan on getting into it once the clutch is fully engaged...let me know how you guys are running and i would appreciate it...

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
Buddy had a 2000 GT, with a built motor and KB. Ran his T45 until he could afford a TKO600.

Had T45 W/ Ram HD clutch at 480/515. Lasted in total about 9-10 months of VERY hard driving. Boost Constantly. The entire tranny took a shit one night going into 4th gear, when I was riding with him.

It will last a little bit of time, if driven EXTREMELY EASY. But if you get into boost, and romp on it, dont plan on it to last too long.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so just in case i should stick with the stock clutch, because i would rather destroy that and spend a couple hundred to replace it later then have to spend over a grand on a promotion tranny when the money is so tight right now...

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
You have a few different options:

Promotion 3650
TKO 600
T-56

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a t-45 in my car just making over 400 rwhp and abusing the hell out of it. It lasted that whole time with no issues ( 2 years ) I just had the money to upgrade to a tko-600 and then a t-56 so i took it out when the motor came out. However i think you will be fine for awhile.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My stock T45 lasted over 150 passes on the dragstrip, with 400+ rwhp, big slicks, burnouts, powershifting, etc. Eventually, the synchros wore and I couldn't shift fast anymore (it would grind). But it still drove fine on the street.

I just changed over to a Promotion T45. We'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
155 Posts
mine has lasted 2 years so far since i put the KB on. and one year of that the car has been making over 500hp/500tq. im running a fidanza clutch/flywheel and the tranny is stock. my car gets floored every single day and it hasn't let go yet, i am however waiting for the day when it goes boom. lol i slam gears all day long but im also running street tires so i get lots of wheel spin. cant say what will happen if you run slicks

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you have slicks you can twist the input shaft with hard launches. My input shaft was fine however. Powershifting will kill the syncros.

If you're just talking about street driving, the stock T45 won't see any of this abuse, and can probably last a long time at 400-500 rwhp.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Over 50 passes last year. Launching between 5000-5500 RPM on ET Streets (The REAL ET Streets). 200 miles a week daily driven. 465rwhp. Updraded Ford 11" clutch. 3.73's , Royal Purple Synchromax fluid. I love my T45. If it ever goes, I am doing a Promotion T45 upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
I have 76xxx miles on my T45, its a piece of crap. Handful of track runs on it and pretty much DD use on it. Grinds 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and sometimes gets stuck in reverse. Has broken shift keys in the reverse slider I believe. I may be adding a T56 to my car though, we'll see. My T45 feels really sloppy compared to my friend's 02GT and my other friend's Mach 1 with 3650s.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
How much do those Promotion T45s cost?
Depends on the condition of your trans. I called promotion and they said around $800-1200 plus your core. They just sent you a pre built trans and you send your core on a pallet to them.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
No problemo.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have 76xxx miles on my T45, its a piece of crap. Handful of track runs on it and pretty much DD use on it. Grinds 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and sometimes gets stuck in reverse. Has broken shift keys in the reverse slider I believe. I may be adding a T56 to my car though, we'll see. My T45 feels really sloppy compared to my friend's 02GT and my other friend's Mach 1 with 3650s.
as far as the gettin stuck in reverse situation mine does that too but its not from broken sift keys its just the way the t-45 shift forks were designed i just had mine overhauled over the summer and thats what i was told. but i would like to upgrade to somethin better some day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts