Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow that thing works great,is that the one made by racor?
Also all you did was splice it in rite? and thats it.....oh yeah where can one purchase it.... thanks man nice discovery.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
That looks like a good set up. I know I already asked this, so I apologize for bringing it up again, but I am still learning. If we wanted to try just using the little filters, the best way is to just put a crankcase filter in place of the oil cap? (on drivers side) Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These guys have it for like $167 but they don't stock it and the hose barb is not included. Its not listed but they can order it. I am going to order from them in a couple of weeks but I'm in the middle of too many other mods and the Parker works OK but not great.

http://www.dieselpage.com/filter.htm

Kevin, no insult but you have a lot of reading to do. If you chase all these threads you'll find a great link to the Lightning disucssion on f150online.com. That discussion over there is a manuscript :)

Just putting an open air filter on the oil fill cap simply opens your crankcase to atmosphere which creates a vacuum leak. Either its full open (w/ no path back to the intake tract) or its fully closed with some way to seperate the oil from the PCV line.

The ultimate racer's setup doesn't risk contaminating the intake tract. They run a breather on one valve cover and put a vacuum pump on the other valvecover and pull about 10-12" of vacuum and run that to a catch can. The downside again is fumes.

Hope that helps..!

Jerry

·
Registered
111 Posts
jerry what do you think of the one that JAY LINCOLN is using on nloc. smc afd4000-06 ? any good? people seem to be having problems with the filters clogging on others....how is yours holding up? i may just get the one you or jay has seems better than nothing and i dont want to spend 200 bucks for this setup.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did a little checking but don't see the spec sheet that I can read in detail. I think the problem with mine is:

- excessive heat
- excessive volume (exceeding capacity)
- Its .02 micron, maybe you need smaller for oil mist?

Mine captures plenty (and doesn't clog) but I know for a fact there is still oil making its way past. *I* seriously wouldn't spend any more money on another "solution" short of the Racor. I still don't know that it is the end-all but if an engineer starts out and determines the volume, temp and particulate size requirements for a crankcase vent system we all stand a better chance of coming up with a fix. I couldn't zoom in on the spec sheet Jay has in his album but if its not designed for the crankcase environment I don't think its going to work.

You know I have a second Parker sitting around from my old truck I may run it in series with my existing to see if can capture more. Now I just need to find more ROOM!

Jerry

·
Registered
111 Posts
ok another question? do you really need the filter at all..seems like if you took it out it would flow more and still have a pressure drop to catch the oil.... we know the air is clean allready and all we want to do is catch oil witch is what the bowl is for no...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FINICKY said:
ok another question? do you really need the filter at all..seems like if you took it out it would flow more and still have a pressure drop to catch the oil.... we know the air is clean allready and all we want to do is catch oil witch is what the bowl is for no...
Took what out? I don't understand your reply?

·
Registered
481 Posts
FINICKY said:
ok another question? do you really need the filter at all..seems like if you took THE FILTER out it would flow more and still have a pressure drop to catch the oil.... we know the air is clean allready and all we want to do is catch oil witch is what the bowl is for no...
Jerry said:
Took what out? I don't understand your reply?
probably the FILTER...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, if that is what he meant than the answer is no. Even WITH the filter I have oil making it past the seperator (I guess its actually called a coalescing (sp?) filter). I know the air is NOT clean already so even the unit I have installed is not good enough. HTH. Jerry

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Jerry any update to what you ended up doing to resolve this issue?

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Vent to PCV to atmosphere, and plug the tee that it goes too.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
03Steve said:
Vent to PCV to atmosphere, and plug the tee that it goes too.
That is a very bad idea for a street car. The system is a closed system for a reason when you open it the PCM can no longer accurately know how much air is in the system and therefor correctly and consistently supply the correct amount of fuel to support it.

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Where does the PCM take the PCV reading?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
03Steve said:
Where does the PCM take the PCV reading?
The mass-air meter.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts