Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was one of those days that reminds one why they devote as much time, energy, blood, sweat, and money into these money pits AKA a race car.

I've been chasing that 8 second time slips since Oct 2001 when I went [email protected] with my old Novi 2000/C4, 8 rib, stock intake setup.

In 2002 I upgraded to the Procharger F2M, Cog drive, Hogan intake and Electromotive. What I ended up with was 5 passes in the car which ended up to be a year of total inactivity and frustration.

This year I made some very important decisions that turned out really good. The first one was throwing the Electromotive in the river and going back to my old true friend FAST AKA Speedpro.

A major obstacle was overcame when Lideo was able to get the FAST to go over 8000 rpms with EDIS ignition. Lideo and FAST was able to get around the MSD Dis4 redesign issues and the car can pull higher than I will ever need.

The converter, rear gear, and transmission still was mismatched. 2 weeks before the shootout I snapped a cog belt that took out power to the electric water pump. This resulted in overheated heads that caused the Copper gaskets to stop sealing.

A quick trip up to SHM fixed the head gaskets and I decided to let Marty at Neal Chance converters to redesign the converter. I then let my old friends at Dynamic go thru the power glide. To my surprise I had a lot of issues inside the power glide. To make a long story short I had to replace the planetary which gave me a good excuse to replace the horrible 1.76 first gear. Harold slapped a 1.89 gear set in and everything went back to SHM for reassembly.

Today was the first outting with the car. I ran Ben Dorns smackdown and it turned out to be the best day I've had in 2 years.

First pass went [email protected]
2nd pass went [email protected]
3rd pass went [email protected]
4th pass no traction bust run
5th pass blew discharge boot off and ripped it in half
6th pass New boot in place [email protected]

I picked up 0.36 with the new converter/tranmission combo. I also picked up 6 mph in the 1/8 and 5 mph in the 1/4.

Heres the best part I went from running 1.36's with my old 6500 stall converter, 1.76 trans combo to a best 1.260 60 foot time.
The car left like a rocket.

On the last pass it went 1.260 but the track started getting loose around 200 feet. I had to shift early at 8000 rpms and went into high gear. It was sliding around but pulled very strong up top. 8.74 was a really good pass for shifting early. Peak power on this setup is 8600. There was no doubt the car had a 8.64 in the tuneup it had if the track was a little tighter.

This Procharger F2M supercharger needs a lot of engine speed and blower rpm to make things happen. It takes a bigger than traditional converter and a transmission that can help accelerate a low torque engine down the first half of the track. I also found out that powerglides really don't like to shift into high gear below 7000 rpms. If it shifts below 7000 (6500 like I was getting) the car just loads down to much and kinda runs thru high gear very lazy.

Going 8's takes a lot of work and a lot of patience. I want to thank the following people who have helped me along the way to not along stick with it, but for their great work.

John Mihovetz - Great friend whos always available on the phone in a pinch
SHM - For making great powerful and reliable engines.
Lideo at Alternative for making his FAST magic.
Dynamic Racing - Always great realible transmissions and service.
Procharger and Chris Spies for helping me work thru the new combo bugs and for a great flowing supercharger.
Jim LaRocca for great insight, knowledge and experience.
Jim Vacarro for being a great friend and motivator.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Congrats Dave! NOONE deserves an 8 second pass more than you. We have all watched you encounter every possible problem that you could possibly have, and you were willing to share it all with us every step of the way! And to think this is just the first time out with everything in the combo matching. :jawdrop

Good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree with Chad....you deserve it Davie!!!

The car launched like an animal!!! 1.27 60' is just sick..:eek:

One thing that Dave couldn't say, but I can......you drove the schnizzle out of that car!!! Good job of drivin!!!!! The car was litterally overpowering the track on the big end........

Ben

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
:D That makes me smile. I am sure it was an awesome sight. Good Job and Congratulations.

Ashley

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Congrats Mr. Dave :king

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow, Congrats Dave!!!!!!!!! I know you have worked your azz off for all of this and I'm glad to see you are still committed and reaping the rewards now... :D :D

Just imagine what your combo would do in a full 25.1C chassis car :jawdrop

Congrats Dave and good luck with it!!!!!

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts