Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i ordered an 04 Auto Mach1..
I am thinking of Swapping Rears from Mach1 to Cobra and Vice versa.....
Any thoughts??
Usually when i think,,I get in Trouble:D

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
It's a great idea if you want your Cobra to ride like a Mach 1. I say keep the IRS, unless you goto the track every week and are looking for purely a straight line car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
HAMMER was thinking about doing that as well, maybe he will chime in when he is not so busy terrorizing those poor people..... he he he.

Rich, BTW I scheduled an appointment at JD's for a new tune on September 8th, it's a Monday.... put in a good word for me...LOL.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Jimmy, I think it really depends on what your plans are for the car. Either way is fine, but I was really suprised at the difference in the IRS in the 03 as compaired to the 01 I had. It spun worse and wheelhopped bad. These 03s don't seem to wheelhop much, I guess its worse with a modded 03, but stock it is almost nonexistant.

From a performance perspective, it seems that the IRS is getting the job done. Pete went 1.5 60 foot, I don't think the live axled 03 cars have done much better there. I think with a light weight car, and some suspension tweaking, and IRS car would hold its own against a live axle car.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yea, but imagine how the Mach would handle????

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ALLNTRL said:
*Off subject* but, what color did you order Jim V.? :D
Dark Shadow Grey

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Yummy...

Mach1, 150 shot, gears, exhaust, big stall, ET Streets

yummy.....

I think its a good idea, we know n20 pete does OK with auto and IRS, so I would go for it

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Jim,

All of the research that I have done indicates that there is no difference between the Mach1 live rear system and any other Mustang 8.8 solid axle rear.

Some advertisements and specs that I have seen on the Mach1 rear indicated "upgraded" or "redesigned" rear. So either the ads for the Mach1 are misleading or I have been given incorrect information about it.

First step is to find out if the Mach1 rear is, in fact, revised from prior Mustang live axles. If it is, a swap with the 03 is worth considering. If the Mach1 rear is no different from any 8.8 rear, I wouldn't hack up the brand new car. Just put a live axle in your 03 Cobra.

JMO

·
Registered
309 Posts
HAMMER said:
Jim,

All of the research that I have done indicates that there is no difference between the Mach1 live rear system and any other Mustang 8.8 solid axle rear.

Some advertisements and specs that I have seen on the Mach1 rear indicated "upgraded" or "redesigned" rear. So either the ads for the Mach1 are misleading or I have been given incorrect information about it.

First step is to find out if the Mach1 rear is, in fact, revised from prior Mustang live axles. If it is, a swap with the 03 is worth considering. If the Mach1 rear is no different from any 8.8 rear, I wouldn't hack up the brand new car. Just put a live axle in your 03 Cobra.

JMO
The mach rear is no different than any other 8.8 rear from a mustang gt. When the adds say upgraded rear, they are referring to the fact that it has a 3.55 instead of the standard 3.27 found in the GT. Other than the gear, it is the same.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would do the swap.You have more potential with the 03 to go fast.Either way you will have am IRS in one of your cars.If you want to be in the handling car then take the one out with the IRS.This swap would be a no brainer to me if I had both cars!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts