3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 THEY HELP
2 THEY DON"T HELP
3 BLING

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
No help is my vote. But thats purely based on my setup. My car with a 2.93 does not slip, no belt dust.

I have an idler if anyone is interested in buying it. I bought it at the same time that I bought the pulley, and was going to put it on, only if I needed it, but so far I haven't seen a need for it.

Maybe a 2.80 pulley car needs an idler.

I have also read a few threads where guys removed their idler and ran faster.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I dynoing with and without.....IDLER didn't help..It may even have cosy a few ponies.....DEBATEABLE

I'll vote BLING:D

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
I say big pulley, more N2O. :D

And bling bling...

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
No help here, nice bling though. Would be interesting to pull it off at the track and see what happens with the ET.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
No help is my vote. But thats purely based on my setup. My car with a 2.93 does not slip, no belt dust.

I have an idler if anyone is interested in buying it. I bought it at the same time that I bought the pulley, and was going to put it on, only if I needed it, but so far I haven't seen a need for it.

Maybe a 2.80 pulley car needs an idler.

I'LL BUY EM!!
I just need the one extra aux idler that sits next to the blower snout.

I can pay by paypal or you can cod me
contact me at [email protected]
can you snap some pics?
I already have 2 metco's replacing the top 2 idlers and I slip.

Do you have another idler wheel as well to sell or anything else?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The jury is still out on this one for me, I have ran by far my best times by taking off my 100mm idler and just running the 2.80 with a 74Gatorback, next track visit I will swap the idler back on and make a pass. I think one thing that messes things up when an idler is installed is that generally the same belt is used and in some cases makes the belt way to tight and causes the tensioner to bounce at high rpm. Still not sure if they are worth it or not??????

·
Registered
924 Posts
they help for the lightnings, but as ya'll now the belt is routed different on the trucks

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think they help but it won't show on a dyno: belt slip during a powershift is where I think they show their worth. Pull after pull my car showed no belt dust on the dyno (2.93) because it wasn't slipping when you rolled into it in 4th to make a pull. Take it on the street, row through the gears a few times and sure enough there was some belt dust. With the idlers on the belt dust is reduced considerably. I *think* the better belt wrap allows the rotors to get back up to speed quicker after a hard shift.. I have not proven this at the track. Anyone going soon care to try?

·
Registered
132 Posts
i voted they help due to the fact i was only getting 13lbs of boost with my rr 2.75 and 740 belt once i installed the upper idler with my 745 belt i saw a increase to 14lbs.i then re-installed the 740 belt and i see 14.25 lbs now.i don't have any track times yet with my new setup so who knows how it plays out on a track but i would hope they work as i'am see a nice boost increase using it.i will be installing the lower 2 idlers soon for the bling effect:D

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Jerry what you say about powershifting and belt slip makes sense, here's why. If any of you guys have ever driven a 99 and up GT you will notice when you powershift 3rd you can always hear the belt squeek, I think the same thing would pertain to our cars, never really thought of it before but I am sure it happens not sure if an idler would help or not but I just kinda put 2&2 together and remembered every 99 and up modular I have drove always had belt squeek (slip) on hard powershifts to third maybe we cant hear them on our cars because of how loud the blower whine is. Like I said next time out I will install the idler back and see if I gain anything!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I am looking at the no slip RR pulley for my 03 Cobra. Everything seems to point to needing at least the aux. idler with small pulley up top. I am sorta worried about all the stories I am hearing having to do with stock idlers failing under the higher loads of smaller uppers and larger lower blower pulleys. :confused:

-Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts