Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now Im trying to troubleshoot my MSD because my light blinks every 3 seconds at idle and its suppose to blink everytime it gets a signal. My first priority is to check the power current to see if it's at 12V. Next I was wondering if it's not getting a strong enough current then what could be wrong? also How do i check my coil packs and wires to make sure they are still good?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ran a diagnostic tests on my '96. It showed one of the coils weren't working. Check your ground wire......I was having trouble with the ground wire.

Pat

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boom-boom said:
I ran a diagnostic tests on my '96. It showed one of the coils weren't working. Check your ground wire......I was having trouble with the ground wire.

Pat
What exactly did the diagnotic test say? Did it show a misfire condition? Ill have one run on my car today. Thanks for the idea:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
it showed a misfire on all cylinders. It said ignition coil and/or input wire malfunction. Something to that effect. It also said it wasn't receiving a signal. I just changed the coils out it it's running fine now. My MSD is over at a friends' shop getting looked at because there was no blinking lights at all.

Pat

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boom-boom said:
it showed a misfire on all cylinders. It said ignition coil and/or input wire malfunction. Something to that effect. It also said it wasn't receiving a signal. I just changed the coils out it it's running fine now. My MSD is over at a friends' shop getting looked at because there was no blinking lights at all.

Pat
We ran a diagnostic today and all we came up with was a malfunction MAF and a 02 sensor mal. What I want ti do tommorow is get one of those volt meters and test the voltage going to the dis-4, then I need to learn how to use the meter to test ohms and resistance so I can chech the coil packs and wires. This is getting fustrating:(

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you ran the diagnostic and it didn't tell you about the coil packs.....it's probably still good. It'll say "coil ignition A (or) B malfuntion. Oh.....since your under the hood, check your plugs. Hang in there and keep me updated, just a small bump in the road. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
boom-boom said:
If you ran the diagnostic and it didn't tell you about the coil packs.....it's probably still good. It'll say "coil ignition A (or) B malfuntion. Oh.....since your under the hood, check your plugs. Hang in there and keep me updated, just a small bump in the road. :D
These are brand new plugs, we just put them in last weekend. I will let you know how tommorow goes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
well...

...when I did mine @3 yrs ago I had a similar problem and it was traced to a bad connection between the two harness, one green wire ahd a bad "crimp" on the connector, re-moved it & re-placed & prob gone...also make sure the two harness plugs are tight.

r u using "tach" adapters wth yours ?

Randy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: well...

R. Stinchcomb said:
...when I did mine @3 yrs ago I had a similar problem and it was traced to a bad connection between the two harness, one green wire ahd a bad "crimp" on the connector, re-moved it & re-placed & prob gone...also make sure the two harness plugs are tight.

r u using "tach" adapters wth yours ?

Randy
What did you use to trace the problem? I checked the wires and it all seems to be connected. I also checked the ground and made sure it was getting voltage. Yes I have tach adapters.

·
Registered
108 Posts
what I did...

...is called a "wiggle test" and just as the name implys...just looked at each wire, pulled on them, wiggle them untill I found one that broke under pressure.

Randy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts