Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cage rule!!!

Does anyone have any info about NHRA considering changing to 11.49?
Most track's hear in the Northeast are NHRA and with cars getting faster all the time,and built with better brakes and suspention,Maybe it is time for NHRA to consider standardizing this rule.
Today there are many stock cars with minimal bolt ons that can run 11sec passes safer then only a few years ago.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That would be great news. I really hope that happens.
:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Had not heard about that Jim, but that would be good news. You're right.....cars are dipping into the 11s without a lot of effort anymore. I have not been real crazy about the idea of doing a cage myself. This should give a lot of people some breathing room.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I think it makes sense. BUT

I wonder if in this overly litigious society if we will ever see a change.

It seems like it would be harder to make a change that could be percieved as lowering a safety standard than to leave a long standing rule in place. If the rule was changed and someone got hurt in an 11.80 car, I can see some lawyer trying to exploit the change.

We can all hope though.

It seems to me that for us guys in the mid atlantic area that one of the 4 tracks would want to go to IHRA for marketing reasons. Seems like the IHRA program would be something different than all 4 track fighting for the same NHRA events.

The closest current IHRA track to me is MIR and that is almost 4 hours away.

·
Registered
924 Posts
In the current nhra rule book(2003) it states 11.99 looked in the current National dragster last friday's edition nothing in the rules revision section about the 11.99 rule.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The NHRA really needs to take a look at the ridiculous requirements for roll bar mounting in a truck application.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Vert limits too

Pilling on, but with cars these days routinely in the 12's out of the box, they really need to look at the 13.99 rule for convertibles as well. When I lived in Florida, Gainesville was pretty strict in this regard.

Fortunately they are not quite as strict up here, but we'll see if that changes when one of us ragtops hits the 11's. A couple of our club members aren't too far from the mark even in the heat.

What is the method to go about requesting a rule change? Petition?

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the method to go about requesting a rule change? Petition?

If anyone starts one?? It will get more Sig's then the California Recall:cool:

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is probably just from a Cobra owners stand point but I think any future Modular days should be ran at an IHRA track just for this reason.With just minimal money spent these cars will run 11s all day. Don't want no cage.:banggears

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have no problem installing a cage, but the way the NHRA wants in installed in a truck is both unsafe and impractical for those who lift the body to change the engine.

I would also like to know who to contact.

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
I would liek to see the 11.49 mark for NHRA as well. As far as lawyers getting involved, I think every track make you sign a waiver when you enter to run your car... basically, if you get hurt, it is on your own dime, just like your car insurance is not gonna pay for a wrecked up racer.

So, I wonder who should be contacted to start a petition. If it could be done via E-Mail/Internet, likely there would be enough folks to sign up !!

·
Registered
924 Posts
The chances of the NHRA changing a safety rule like that would probably be never. They are like the government when it comes to rules. What they say goes . YOU can ask any NHRA class racer it"s an act of congress to change any kind of rule.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts