Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use to cover/seal the filter? I'd like to use plastic or ceramic, but I might just bend up some sheetmetal because it's more readily available. I'm not going to take out the headlight becaues it's illegal for the mod shootout.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Get a Novi.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now if only I could find that $3000 I left lying around... Dick.

I'm thinking about removing the filter altogether and just using a screen to keep bugs/debris out of the intake at the track.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Scott- did you seriously gain .3 at the track with this mod? Does anyone have any numbers gained by going through both fog lights? Most important to me, is, wil the added pressure at cruising speed (highway driving), cause a/f issues? Stalling?
Thanks, Brent

·
Registered
136 Posts
32VHEMIJR said:
Scott- did you seriously gain .3 at the track with this mod? Does anyone have any numbers gained by going through both fog lights? Most important to me, is, wil the added pressure at cruising speed (highway driving), cause a/f issues? Stalling?
Thanks, Brent
Yes .. I did and it was tested back to back. It was an accurate test.

This was in the 13.30 to 12.9 range.

The mph is what impressed me more.

I kept mine in full time - rain included - never a problem. As long as the pipe is 5" it won't suck in water (3" will because of the engine suction)

Both sides won't work because there is not enough room in front of the rad to bring the pipe across. Trust me I tried.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks Scott. I searched on Corral under "ram air", and found a thread where a guy did rig up a dual inlet system, based on your original idea. He says "major SOTP improvement" or something to that effect.
Is it just the pre-99 cobras that require the 6" to 5" adapter? My fog light only measures about 3.5 inches, so that big reducer seems unnecessary in my application.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It is posible that yours is a different size. My 01 bumper was on the car for 3 days only and I forget what it looked like - LOL.

The big end on the 96 went over moulding which was on the inside. This I then clamped. The front hole was much smaller but in behind it needed to be bigger.

32VHEMIJR said:
Thanks Scott. I searched on Corral under "ram air", and found a thread where a guy did rig up a dual inlet system, based on your original idea. He says "major SOTP improvement" or something to that effect.
Is it just the pre-99 cobras that require the 6" to 5" adapter? My fog light only measures about 3.5 inches, so that big reducer seems unnecessary in my application.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So you didnt have any driveability issues with this setup?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks Bro!
BTW, were you running a stock unported MAF when you made those gains?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Zak.... You dont need to go any faster man. ;)

Seriously, Do you still have the air pump in the passenger side fenderwell? If you do then it could be a pain in the ass feeding whatever you use through the fenderwell. I also remember that you have the UPR pp, so how did you plan on attaching the upper part to the filter? Just wonder as I may be doing the same exact thing. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did this mod on thursday. Today I ripped that crap out. Runs great again. I cleared the engine control memory when I did this mod, and gave it 3 days to work. Nothing but trouble. On friday, the pressure in my intake tube, traveled into my crankcase through the valve cover breather tube and pressurized the crankcase to the point I was spewing oil out of my valve cover gaskets. It went all over my exhaust manifolds and made a nice smoke cloud while driving 30 miles from home. I bought some 3 dollar valve cover breathers from autozone, and plugged off the vacuum barbs. That ended my oil problem, but it still ran like crap. I would floor it, and it seemed to take my engine about 5 seconds to notice I was at full throttle before it would go, and when it would go, it wouldnt go very well. I think the computer couldnt figure things out, since the air mass wasnt proportional to rpm or engine load. Felt like it could just never get the a/f figured out. The car has never felt this slow. I was also seeing about 10 mpg.
No cigar for me.:mad:

·
Registered
136 Posts
32VHEMIJR said:
I did this mod on thursday. Today I ripped that crap out. Runs great again. I cleared the engine control memory when I did this mod, and gave it 3 days to work. Nothing but trouble. On friday, the pressure in my intake tube, traveled into my crankcase through the valve cover breather tube and pressurized the crankcase to the point I was spewing oil out of my valve cover gaskets. It went all over my exhaust manifolds and made a nice smoke cloud while driving 30 miles from home. I bought some 3 dollar valve cover breathers from autozone, and plugged off the vacuum barbs. That ended my oil problem, but it still ran like crap. I would floor it, and it seemed to take my engine about 5 seconds to notice I was at full throttle before it would go, and when it would go, it wouldnt go very well. I think the computer couldnt figure things out, since the air mass wasnt proportional to rpm or engine load. Felt like it could just never get the a/f figured out. The car has never felt this slow. I was also seeing about 10 mpg.
No cigar for me.:mad:
Well, if you performed this article EXACTLY as stated, then obviously it's not benficial on 99 up body styles. I never tried it on the 01 because I added the nitrous.

It sure worked well on the 96-98 sn95's that's for sure. I know of at least 20 who still have that setup.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slosvt said:
Zak.... You dont need to go any faster man. ;)

Seriously, Do you still have the air pump in the passenger side fenderwell? If you do then it could be a pain in the ass feeding whatever you use through the fenderwell. I also remember that you have the UPR pp, so how did you plan on attaching the upper part to the filter? Just wonder as I may be doing the same exact thing. :)
I still have the air pump in the fenderwell, but I managed my own ram air setup. I did not go through the foglights. It's too bad you'll be seeing my tail lights this weekend, otherwise you'd have a pretty good view of it. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
The only way im going to see your taillights is if the return road is on your side. Im going to be stopped at the end waiting for you to catch up and make the turn first. :eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here it is: pic 1 pic 2 pic 3

Basically it's made of a sheetmetal collector, 4 inch diameter flex hose, a modified 6" to 4" reducer (it's now a ~5" to 4" reducer), a 5" diameter adjustable elbow, and a modified 6" diameter sheetmetal pipe (I made it closer to 5" dia to fit around the mass air meter).

This will not work if you have the air condtioning in place. I think it's worth between .05 and .1 in the 1/4, although I don't have hard numbers only comparisons from different days with similar weather conditions.

I ran [email protected] and [email protected] this past weekend.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good job Zak ......

I considered a similar setup way back when ...... but with AC it's a problem as you stated. Plus on a show car it's not too attractive - LOL.

I really wanted to chat with you for a while at the shootout - just SO busy doing laps on the cart (and not knowing who everyone is).

Congrats on your new times too! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts