Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I need some educated input. I have begun modding my '03 vert to include Magnaflow X with cats, Steeda CB. Here's my dilema I want to maximze the boost of my Eaton set up because the KB is not something I care to do on this car. I considered adding the lower pulley but I'm not sure if it's really worth the effort/cost/liability it would take to install it (especially considering how simple it would be to change the upper)

So, should I consider the 3.10/2.93/ 2.80 pulley. Thanks for your input.

Arthur

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Depending on your altitude
the 3.10 pulley will give you ~3.82# boost
the 2.93 pulley will give you ~5.25# boost
the 2.80 pulley will give you ~6.47# boost
the 3.1 pulley with 4# lower will give you ~7.68# boost
the 3.1 pulley with 8# lower will give you ~9.98# boost

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks "toofast4u", I found those numbers in a search too. I guess what it boils down to is that I have some reservation in taking on the pulley change.

Guys reading this that did the pulley themselves is it really a one person job??? Is the JDM kit significantly easier to install than the others??? I ask because they claim on their website that it's about a two hour job and that it is easy

Thanks again,
Arthur

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
roushraven said:
Thanks "toofast4u", I found those numbers in a search too. I guess what it boils down to is that I have some reservation in taking on the lower pulley change. After I got the right tools I was able to take off the stock pulley and install the DUB hub in my lunch hour. It required a lot of elbow grease but it was overall an easy job.

Guys reading this that did the lower pulley themselves is it really a one person job??? Is the JDM kit significantly easier to install than the others??? I ask because they claim on their website that it's about a two hour job and that it is easy

Thanks again,
Arthur
Those numbers are not from a search they are calculated specifically for your pulley sizes. I don't believe JDM has a kit for the 03 Cobra the kit you are seeing is most likely for the Lightnings. Metco also states it is a 2 hour job, but everybody I know says it takes a little longer then that.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Here are the full calculations if you are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks again toofast4u that actually helps with another burning issue I had ie blower efficiency. So it looks like I can add a 4lb lower and not greatly exceed thermal efficiency and still get a very good increase in power. Now I just have to decide if I really should do it.

Arthur

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good Luck, just remember too much boost on the Eaton wont generate that much more power than just having a 2.80 upper..it will though make ALOT more torque, if i were you i'd throw in a 75 shot...then you'll really see some impressive gains..how about some pics of the Cobra?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
SVT POISON

NO2 sounds "iffy" but if I do then it will go on the Roush.

Here's a pic of the vert (a work in progress)

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's my Roush Cobra that I'll be picking up from Paul's High Performance late this month. FYI the hood is not closed in this photo and the factory rear wheels are still on because at the time Paul was having custom hubs made so that I could safely mount the Roush 18x10s.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
roushraven said:
Thanks again toofast4u that actually helps with another burning issue I had ie blower efficiency. So it looks like I can add a 4lb lower and not greatly exceed thermal efficiency and still get a very good increase in power. Now I just have to find a competent place in Texas to do the job. I don't think I want to tackle this alone.

Arthur
The calculation of boost is only taking in mechanical efficiency thermal efficiency is not addressed. Thermally I think anything much higher then 6# of boost has minimum gains of peak power. They do increase power on the low-end, but that is due to the boost coming on sooner and increasing at those points.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts