1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I think it'll be fine on cars w/o slicks and less than 500 HP. Beyond that, who knows? If it breaks just upgrade to a better T56. No big deal. there are already ones out there with upgraded internals that bolt right up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No thoughts from Pete, Jim, Harry, Rick and the other regulars? Though I don't post a lot, I do follow your exploits and value your input. Am I likely to experience input shaft failure as I attempt to increase power?

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Ron, So far so good.Guys running 480's rwhp and 500+ ft lbs have not reported failures.
I think past these power levels this could be an issue.
Pete's useing an Auto. I think more auto's will be used when 550+ 600+ rwhp numbers become common.
The weight of these cars will be hard on the whole drivetrain especially with the added abuse of drag racing.

jim v.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
It won't matter what tires your running, the input shaft will see the full torque of the engine thru the clutch when your in the higher gears. I think someone posted they broke their input shaft while in third gear - makes sense. The output shaft & rear-end are more susceptible to tire traction, since the trans mutliplies the torque in the lower gears.

·
Registered
85 Posts
WTF kind of comment is "...just upgrade to a better T56. No big deal." ?!

Like they grow on trees or something. Sheesh.

:rolleyes:

I'm worry about it. If the dealer won't cover it and you don't have an extra $3k laying around you're screwed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am the one who broke the input in 3rd gear.My mods are mild compared to alot of people on here so dont use a specific horsepower figure as a magic number.
I was also running the factory Eagle F-1's

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Z20_WHAT said:
WTF kind of comment is "...just upgrade to a better T56. No big deal." ?!

Like they grow on trees or something. Sheesh.

:rolleyes:

I'm worry about it. If the dealer won't cover it and you don't have an extra $3k laying around you're screwed.
I think if you have enough money to buy a 35K Cobra, then have enough money to say **** the warranty - chip and pulley it, you should damn well be able to afford a 3-4K T56 when you break it DUE TO YOUR MODS.

·
Registered
721 Posts
IWRBB said:
I think if you have enough money to buy a 35K Cobra, then have enough money to say **** the warranty
If that were only true... :( I don't have the money to throw caution into the wind... hell, I don't even have enough money to pay attention!

U.M.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I'm not saying that if you can afford a 03, you should have enough money to blow off your warranty.

I'm saying if you are willing to blow off your warranty with a chip/pulley and exceed the transmission's rated capacity, you should be able and willing to buy a new tranny if it breaks.

I just don't see why people are getting so upset that modded cars are blowing transmissions. It's nothing new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
IWRBB said:
I'm not saying that if you can afford a 03, you should have enough money to blow off your warranty.

I'm saying if you are willing to blow off your warranty with a chip/pulley and exceed the transmission's rated capacity, you should be able and willing to buy a new tranny if it breaks.

I just don't see why people are getting so upset that modded cars are blowing transmissions. It's nothing new.
Man, that is for sure! I can't count all the T5's and T45's I've had to replace over the years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No, I don't think YOU get it. This is a performance vehicle and the T56's SHOULD NOT be breaking the way they are as easily as they are.

My 3550 in my 5.0 is holding up to 2+ years of 400rwhp beatings. I would expect the T56 to withstand a measely 75hp jump. Even at 500rwhp it should last a bit. Either way, I think it's ridiculous for anyone to think 3 - 4k dollars just to spend on a tranny at any given time is no big deal no matter HOW much money you make or what you can afford. Someone is on a high horse.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
The 3550 in your 5.0? That was never stock. So that's apples to oranges, sorry.

Here's how I see it. The T56 in our cars has a weak input shaft compared to a Camaro or Viper. The Camaro input-shafted itself right out of existance. The Viper costs twice as much to get that shaft.

If I see one fail in a stock application, I'll change my thinking, but til then, I think you are too critical and paranoid when it comes to the T56.

I think adding 75 HP more though the tranny is ALOT. Especially when it's near it's torque capacity already from the factory.

High horse????? It's not like GOD himself designed the T56.

At least cobragb gets it...

·
Registered
85 Posts
IWRBB said:
The 3550 in your 5.0? That was never stock. So that's apples to oranges, sorry.
No not apple to oranges. It's not an issue of stock vs. aftermarket, it's a matter of quality and performance period. The 3550 was essentially a Tremec upgraded version of the earlier Borg-Warner T-5 and I would expect a 6-speed Tremec would be able to withstand some abuse (I know they're the same company now). Adding 75hp over stock is NOT a lot. There are 400rwhp cars running stock T5's all the time problem free for years. I also understand it's not the tranny itself that's really bad, it's the input shaft. I'd be nice to just upgrade that piece for much less, and I would guess then that the tranny would take more abuse.

Yes, I may just be paranoid, but there's been more than one.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
But is IS an issue of stock vs. aftermarket. Your stock T5 tranny was not good enough for the added power to put through it. So you had to put in a different, aftermarket upgraded T5 to hold that power. And it has.

Same thing with the 03's. The stock T56 is not good enough for the added power people are putting through it. So they have to put in a different, aftermarket upgraded T56 to hold that power. And it probably will.

You show me 1 T5 living behind 400 RWHP and I'll show you 5 broken at 400 RWHP. Alot is how it's driven. Powershifted or granny shifted?

I will agree, it would have been nice if Ford had used the bigger input shaft. But they didn't. Why? To save money. Why? So the car didn't cost 50K. They cut costs where possible to make it go out the door for 35/40 (coupe/vert). If you think that the car should have cost more and had a better transmission, do what highmiles did and swap them out. Then you can stop worrying about it.

And, I don't see anything wrong with having to buy a new transmission if you break the original one by increasing the power put through it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
IWRBB said:

And, I don't see anything wrong with having to buy a new transmission if you break the original one by increasing the power put through it.
This is the part I tend to disagree with.

Why shouldn't we be able to replace only the faulty / broken part in a $3,000 tranny? That part can't cost more than a couple hundred bucks tops. Why can't it be gotten seperately?

You think it's right that Ford forces Tremec not to sell replacement parts for a transmission? That's ludicrous to me.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Well, you're right about the part issue. Ford can suck a testicle for that, I haven't defended that position at all.

I'm just trying to figure out understand why people are so upset that a tranny broke. Everyone thinks (thought?) the T56 is unbreakable or something.

As far as seeing nothing wrong with buying a new tranny, I see nothing wrong with buying an upgraded T56 once the stocker won't cut it.

The stock T56 is rated at 450 Ft-lbs, weak input shaft or not. With enough mods, it will be too weak even with the better shaft. The input shaft is not the only upgrade available in the Viper spec T56 from D&D. They can balance and blueprint it to take more power than a Viper's T56 will.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, I agree about upgrading if you're exceeding power limits, but there is also a part of me that wishes it wasn't necessary for moderate increases.

Since it seems like it is, I was hoping to be able to buy a "backup" input shaft in the future if I get ready to do high HP mods.

I wish that was an option.

The rest is just misaligned expectations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts