Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been meaning to put together a post with pics I took when I installed the AEM UEGO Failsafe Wideband 02 with Boost Gauge in my 2004 Mystichrome Cobra Terminator.

This thread will be under construction for a little while as I put it together. I found a lot of good sources that helped me and would like to consolidate it in this thread to hopefully help others answer most questions.

2 helpful tips BEFORE you start:

1) Purchase a vacuum "T" to connect the larger stock line and the smaller AEM line. I bought an assortment package because wasn't sure which size "T" to use.

2) Make sure you have a large wrench (think I used somewhere between 20MM and 23MM wrench?) to remove your stock 02 sensor and will be able to install the wideband 02. I already had a set of large wrenches purchased for another project. Think I got a low priced set from Harbor Freight?

Gauge can be configured to your taste: black or silver face with choice of where A/F and boost read (sweeping or digital) and also you choose between a black or silver bezel (once installed, you set up the gauge on your laptop via USB to display in the configuration of your choice matching the gauge face you installed). In this picture below, you also see the pretty standard column gauge pod. I also had my tune flowing through the Bose Soundlink II.

The yellow line is a good source to put a "T" in to tap for the boost reading. In this pick I disconnected the line as it has a connector, no need to actually cut the line, just place a "T" in-line.

Pic of Vacuum "T" Assortment package. You can see the actual size "T" used. The AEM vacuum line is much smaller than the factory yellow line.

Pic showing the AEM boost/vacuum line "T" into the yellow factory boost line. I chose this location based on several recommendations seen in different threads. Also, no need to worry, the AEM vacuum line is plenty long enough to run from the "T" in the glove box to the AEM gauge on the column pod.

Pic of the radio, radio bezel/vent bezel and shifter bezel removed. Will need access to run the lines between the glove box and gauge cluster (speedo) and also will need to access shifter area when running lines from the actual wideband 02 sensor from under the car, through the shifter boot and up to the AEM gauge.

Pic of the gauge cluster (speedo). This was really straight forward (just a few Torx screws) if you have done it before on other cars EXCEPT for the headlight switch knob. The trick is to use a very small hooked pick, small screw driver, or in my case I used the smallest allen I had and lifted the tab to release the knob as I gently pulled it out. Here is a great how to I used (note step 3 & 4 is the difficult part) http://www.ehow.com/how_2188438_replace-instrument-cluster-ford-mustang.html and also this is a great video walk through

Three items to disconnect: two wire pins and the yellow vacuum line that the stock gauge reads from

Here is where I ran the AEM vacuum line into the speedo area. I chose this location to avoid pinching the line. It was a bit of a PITA to feed the line through that area, but I think it is worth the effort to avoid pinching the line.

I also chose the same location to feed the AEM pin/wire loom that plugs into the back of the AEM gauge.

15 Amp add a fuse (green) and ground location (red) used. As an FYI, if you don't put two 15 Amp fuses in the add a fuse, your traction control will be permanently off and your gauge cluster will take a minute to light up.

Pic of the shifter plate and rubber sleave. At the bottom left you can see where I made a small hole and poked the wire loom coming from the 02 sensor under the car and into the cabin. I then routed this wire loom to the same location where the vacuum line and other wire loom was located so all items could be plugged into the back of the AEM gauge.
Pic with the new MGW shifter I threw on since I had it apart. Black wire loom can be seen poking out at the bottom left.

Here is the thread I followed to build my own firewire so I could connect the AEM 02 readings to the SCT X3 LiveLink in order to be able to datalog. This will also allow you to datalog the boost readings as well. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3162618&postcount=3

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I didn't realize posts on this forum do not allow you to modify/edit at a later time.

I will have to put the post together somewhere else where I can edit and then come back with a finished product.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts