Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I had line locks installed late last week. I had some trouble at first; as none of the line lock manufacturers that I know of make an 03 Cobra-specific kit. There are vendors that sell kits, but I opted to go a different route.

All the information that I needed for parts ordering and install was found on Joe Lynch's web site:

http://www.lx.net/jlynch/line-lock.html

These are the parts that I bought:

From Summit Racing:

Hurst Roll Control Kit, Part # HUR-1745000
Hurst Roll Control Adapter Fitting Kit for Mustangs, Part # HUR-5671516

I also opted to buy a better 12-volt switch, since the one that comes with the kit rattles and is very cheap.

I bought HUR-2483880 Hurst Pushbutton Switch With Coil Cord.

This switch sits loose in my center console. I can zip tie it to the steering wheel or shifter when racing and then hide it away in the console when driving leisure.

Those three pieces from Summit cost me about $160 delivered. But more parts were needed. They were easy to find.

From a local Napa autoparts store I purchased the following:

3/16" x 20" steel brake lines - 2 pieces
1/8" pipe thread plugs - 2 pieces
1/8" pipe thread male 90 degree with 3/16" female inverted flare - 2 pieces

Those parts all came to about $15. That was everything I needed. My good friend Dwayne Gutridge of Outrageous Mustangs had some time to fit me in for the install so I rolled over to his shop (about 20 minutes from my home).

The install took about 2 hours. He normally charges about $200 labor for such a job, but I bought lunch and fixed his shop computer so he was cool with that (thanks, bro!).

The install was impeccible and the line locks work great!

I have been playing around on the street with them and have been tinkering with a new launch procedure. I am trying to use the line locks as a sort of transbrake (an idea that I got from Joe Lynch's site as well).

It takes a lot of practice and a perfectly timed procedure. But it WORKS!!

After using the line locks to smolder the tires, I roll out and then come to a stop again. I lock the brakes a second time and prepare to launch. With the line locks engaged, I can back off on the clutch petal a good deal without rolling forward. This gives the car some good 'forward tension'. Then I release the button and follow-up just right with clutch release. When done correctly, I jump out pretty hard. And if I follow up with proper clutch slipping, I get one hell of a launch - harder than I have ever felt on the F1's.

I have BFG drag radials on the car now and the technique is even more difficult. I have found that the car wants to wheel hop with this line lock launch procuedure. But if I dump the clutch harder and faster following the release of the button, I get a little spin instead and then dead hook.

Can't wait to get to the track and play with the new toy and the new procedure.

But most importantly I got the line locks so I could master the second-gear burnout out of the water box.

No check engine light from the line locks like some people have warned - at least not yet. And I've used it at least 30 times now.

I'll keep you all posted as to how it works and if I can develop a launch procedure with them.

NEAT MOD!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanx for all the info Hammer. Looks like Line locks can be a big help for both the track and the street. Looks like you are gonna have one mean launch once you get it all down :)
Thanx again

matt

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
TTT

Great write-up HAMMER. I think we should pin threads like this, so they don't get lost in earlier pages. I am getting line lock very soon. I'll be using your post as my main reference!! Thanks dude!

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
I installed my LineLok switch button here.
Out of the way. Just drop your finger and away you go!
Your hand rests on the shifter handle with the trans in first gear.

Dana

Attachments

·
Banned
572 Posts
Dana said:
I installed my LineLok switch button here.
Out of the way. Just drop your finger and away you go!
Your hand rests on the shifter handle with the trans in first gear.

Dana
What are you nuts ?
what happens when you hit that bitch as your driving and turnning your volume up ?

does it have a safety so that don't happen?
and whats the lil switches next to your t/c and f/l ?

sean

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
The nuts are in the dash panel behind the facia. It is a very snug press fit into the dashboard. The area behind the switch is hollow and the wires are routed through there.
Nothing happens if you hit the switch when driving, which doesn't happen anyway. Study how and when the linelok works and you'll see why that isn't a problem. The linelok does not induce pressure in the brake system, but rather only holds pressure that was introduced by the master cylinder against the front caliper (in this case) pistons. It prevents the pressure from dropping as long as the button is depressed, provided there was pressure when the button was activated.

The other switches are for the radiator fan control and the intercooler pump.
The bottom switch is for the auxiliary intercooler fans and the green indicator light is for the nitrous bottle heater.
Dana

Attachments

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
03Red,
Thank you.
No numbers yet. I hope to find out early next week. The chip just arrived and I have to install the 50# injectors this weekend. Then off to the strip and dyno.

My03SVT,
Sorry, I misread your original post.
No, I'm not nuts...
Figure it out yet???????

Dana

·
Banned
572 Posts
Dana said:
03Red,
Thank you.
No numbers yet. I hope to find out early next week. The chip just arrived and I have to install the 50# injectors this weekend. Then off to the strip and dyno.

My03SVT,
Sorry, I misread your original post.
No, I'm not nuts...
Figure it out yet???????

Dana
thats cool i get it now

sean

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
TTT

Good inexpensive brake saving winter mod, and good write up.

:cool:

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
03Red,
As long as this thread resurfaced, I went to the dyno shortly afterwards and the #'s are:
470HP/492TQ
And
525HP/544TQ with a 50 shot

These were the 2nd and 3rd pulls of 3 back to back pulls. Temps were in the mid 80's that day. If we had allowed the motor to cool, I think the results would have been somewhat higher.

Dana

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
I also have the line-LOC kit on my 03 also..Kevin at Wicked Motorsports did mine for me. Impecable job and i helped SOOOOOOOOmuch it was unbelievable,plus NO MORE SMOKED CLUTCHES!!!!!!!

Jay

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
Jay,
With the LineLock installed, did you notice that the car still moves forward when you're doing a burnout? I have this problem and have not yet figured out the reason. It moves only a little and very slowly, but it still moves.
All of this was happening at the end of the season, so we really didn't have time to figure it out. I don't know if it is the brakes not holding or the tires sliding on the surface this place calls a drag strip or what.

Also, I have had better luck heating the ET Streets in 2nd gear rather than 1st.

Dana

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Dana,

I have never expierienced what you are,i usually pump the brakes twice to get good pressure. I have only used drag radials so i have yet to expierience the et street burn out. I do have them though, mounted on 94 pony 5 stars. I also only do 1st gear burnouts,because i expierienced a lil bit of clutch slip if i tried a 2nd gear one.

Jay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts