Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I took off the Hooker super comps with off road x pipe and installed my new American Racing Headers with cat'd x pipe. The dis assembly was a pita but the install was pretty quick. These headers fit nicer than any others that I have seen, period. I had all kinds of clearance issues with the Hookers and had to shim the motor mounts just to keep the passenger side from hitting the k member. On the Americans' I can slide my whole hand up that portion of the k member. I am going to try to get it on the dyno to see what the power output looks like soon, but seat of the pants feels like the torque is much better and the 2500-3500rpm feels much better. I am completely happy with the purchase and now the car sounds awesome. A guy at work that has a C5 vette is looking at getting a set after seeing these headers in person. If anyone is contemplating doing these headers, don't hesitate because you wont regret it. I am going to post some pics of the headers but they look a little yellow it was just bad lighting... Theo

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
They look nice $$. How much for that set up. Are those real cats? Are you going to pass emissions with those?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, those are cats, and I don't know about emissions testing because we don't have it here, its just a visual. I honestly don't see why it would not pass.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
American suggested a 1 3/4" tube LT for my current build at $895.with the 3" collector upgrade for free. Of course then I would need their 3" X-pipe. It's nice to read that the Americans installed easier but how easy? Lift motor, drop K-member? I think the top name headers are great forthe guys who are keepiong their cars for a long time, are younger or wealthier, and what does the opposite like myself do? LOL!
Not young, wealthy and don't care how long I keep the car. Looked into PYPES but BlueOvalIndustries on ebay did not answer my question, again!

·
I am the Stig
2,329 Posts
99GTAUTOVERT, I have the pypes longtubes and H pipe, I like them alot. I did have to clearance the started just a hair and the tranny bellhousing a little bit. Talking shaving a bit. Not much. But for the price for stainless, its not a big deal. I installed mine when the motor was out of the car, but I was able to drop it in though the top with the K still bolted in.

·
Registered
459 Posts
How is the ground clearance by the collectors? I know some LT header designs have the collectors pointing slightly down, causing some ride height issues because the mid-pipe no longer hugs the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have the same system. Great quality and fitment. The system and a dyno tune dropped my 1/4 by .3 .

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did you replace, stock logs or other headers?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is the ground clearance by the collectors? I know some LT header designs have the collectors pointing slightly down, causing some ride height issues because the mid-pipe no longer hugs the bottom of the car.
They are really tucked up under the car nice, one part of the collector is only about 3/4 of and inch from the floor pan. I forgot the camera the day of the install, I could have posted some of those pics...

·
Registered
745 Posts
My exhaust is even with my frame connectors. I've had mine for 1.5yrs and have never scraped them. I scaped the stock k member going over a hill/dip in the road a little too fast, but the headers weren't touched.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will let you guys know how it goes at the dyno...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.