Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't taken it out for a drive yet, but I can't wait for a good 1-2 powershift. I took care of the jam piece hitting the stock bolt head by finding a big washer with the same ID as the adjuster, then grinding down the outside to clear the bolt head. Hard to describe, but if you had one you'd know what I mean. I hope the spacer won't make it slip, I doubt it, it seems to lock just as tight with it in there. I can't see how anyone could change the quadrant their first time with the seat still in . Maybe I could now, but screw that, just take it out. I'm 6'3", it's tough to worm my way under there.

I still need to get a 3/16" wrench to tighten the bolt hodling the adjuster in. If the thing wasn't so long, you could install the firewall piece easily, then screw the adjuster into it. But you can't because it hits the valve cover before it's level enough to screw in. It would have been alot easier on my 5.0

I let you guys know how it shifts this week. Mine was one of the ones where the clutch didn't release fully unless you put the clutch in the carpet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
IWRBB said:
I let you guys know how it shifts this week. Mine was one of the ones where the clutch didn't release fully unless you put the clutch in the carpet.
Hmm I notice something similar. My clutch releases fine but I noticed that I push the clutch in normally and unless I give it some extra force there is always a tad little bit (like half a centimeter) left I can push it in. Is this bad because I don't sit there and press it in like that every single time I shift! I hope someone knows what I mean.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey - I also noticed you are a lot like me. I have 5.0 and I installed the UPR quadrant kit on it without too much trouble at all. Since you've done both, should I be able to do this one too? From what you posted, it seems finiky and a little touchy to get into. Opinion?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I put my UPR on, and I'm not that swift with a wrench. The underdash was a bear, I'm 6'2" and not as limber as I used to be. Taking the seat out would have probably been a good idea. I'd say that if I can do it, most anyone can. They really should re-engineer the firewall hold-down screw so that it doesn't interfere with the adjuster ring.

Bill

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Z20: If you've done it on a 5.0 you could do it no problem. It's just alot tighter around the adjuster area.

I got it done, had to buy a set of tiny wrenches to tighten the bolt. Took it out, had to readjust it a little, then let it rip. Much better. Seems predictable now, where the stock one seemed to pick up where ever it felt like sometimes.

I threw a lazy 1-2 powershift with no problems, and 2-3 is an easy speed shift now. I have the MGW handle, but stock shifter. A new shifter and some MTL is next.

Steeda TriAx, Steeda CAI, and a catback, and that's it I swear. (for this year) I got to keep saving for a new house.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
I installed a quadrant and firewall adjuster in my 2001 Cobra last week, and it corrected a problem I had been having.

In the mornings my car was tough to get into second, and it would usually grind. I thought it was a syncro, but when I put the adjuster on, it shifts perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts