Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, overnighted a pair of halfshafts and new boots from Frank @ www.driveshaftshop.com on Monday. Finally got under the car, and found the break. Mine broke on the driver's side, where the shaft mates with the inner joint, underneath the boot by the differential.

Upon removal of the halfshaft and the boot, we discovered the break, orginating where the shaft grooves mate with the joint.

We took the busted halfshafts to my buddy's work (Ford dealership) and began removing the stock shafts from the joints. VERY GREASY, VERY MESSY. Got 1/4 of the way done, will update as progress is made.

NOTE:

The replacement halfshafts from "the shop" are a bit smaller in diameter, although they are made out of a much better grade of steel. The total kit includes two need halfshafts, four boot covers, and clamps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
if you can get pics while you are working it would be awsome

do you think this can be a trackside repair type thing?
bring an extra half shaft, jackstands and jack?

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I saw those Halfshats installed on my Friend Joe's( MAGICMAKER)
car.. They are nice pieces,,They actually weigh 3.5 lbs Lighter then the Stock Half Shafts..
He is very happy with them..

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
J.V. are you saying 3.5 per shaft, if so losing 7lbs of rotating mass is a good thing, not to mention not worrying about breaking them!:)

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
trey193 said:
J.V. are you saying 3.5 per shaft, if so losing 7lbs of rotating mass is a good thing, not to mention not worrying about breaking them!:)
Yes,,Stock shafts were 27lbs each
Upgraded Shafts are 23.5 each

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I shipped my halfshafts off to them (driveshaft shop) for upgrade. I was going to do it myself but they convinced me that I was better off having them do them. The reasons are: they clean and beadblast the end stubshafts, inspect them, anneal & shotpeen them, and then reinstall them with new synthetic grease, boots, and clamps.

I shipped them off on Thursday, they received them Monday, they shipped them back out on Tuesday and I received them on Thursday. The service was EXCELLENT and the product seems very good. FYI.

MJ

·
Registered
92 Posts
Excellent Steve! Good luck. I know Russ is somewhat looking forward to meeting up with you. ;-) I DO have a question though...

Why upgrade the halfshaft, if that's not what broke? Is there a tougher CV joint? It seems like THAT is what breaks more often than not. Especially when referring to J Lynch's page.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
OK, so how much am I'm looking at spending to get a pair like mjchip mentioned? Just so I know how much to set aside for this summer :)

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Be good to see if these HD shafts hold up..
I really hope they do...
All who drag race will need them..

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Stan, it was the halfshaft that broke. Not the CV joint. The shaft broke near the end within the boot.

The new shafts are installed guys. Unfortunately, I have some lateral rear-end play while accelerating at WOT. After I get everything sorted out, I'll write a tech thread on the removal and installation. Also, I have to give big thanks to Steve from Sunset Ford for all the work (most of it :D ) during the removal/install.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
IWRBB said:
OK, so how much am I'm looking at spending to get a pair like mjchip mentioned? Just so I know how much to set aside for this summer :)
$650

MJ

·
Registered
136 Posts
03Steve said:
Hey Stan, it was the halfshaft that broke. Not the CV joint. The shaft broke near the end within the boot.

The new shafts are installed guys. Unfortunately, I have some lateral rear-end play while accelerating at WOT. After I get everything sorted out, I'll write a tech thread on the removal and installation. Also, I have to give big thanks to Steve from Sunset Ford for all the work (most of it :D ) during the removal/install.
Ensure that you have the wheel/brake disks square on the hub. It is possible to tighten the lugnutswith the disk not sitting flush against the hub. I did this once on my 99 and got just the wiggle you describe on acceleration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts