Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my crappy intake manifold because it cracked at the coolant nipple to the heater core. Has anyone performed this install before? I found on AmericanMuscle.com install instructions with additional parts needed at I went to a Ford Dealer locally and they wanted $375 for everything. I found online dealer for almost $200 off that.
The parts are PI intake gaskets, a PI water coolant tube, PI water pump nipple, 180 degree thermostat, thermostat gasket, EGR gasket, Coolant hose from heater core to intake manifold, 16 new O-Rings for the fuel injectors, Alternator bracket, and High Temp RTV sealant.
Are all of the parts absolutly needed? Or, can I use any of the parts from the old intake. I have found intake manifolds online that say, "Includes thermostat, alternator barcket, and all "O" rings and gaskets for installation." Anyone that has made this swap please chime in. The car is an automatic 2001 GT. Thanks in advance!

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
Its not bad at all, I had to take mine off to install my supercharger etc.

Basically you have to take off your intake tube, some front accesoires, and all that crap on top (Throttlebody/Plenum, Injectors, Rails, etc). Once all that is off, take out your manifold bolts, and bring it off. Not very hard at all. Could easily do it on a weekend afternoon if you thrash on it long enough.

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
I didnt take many of this process when doing my supercharger, but here is what some of it looks like with some stuff off.

Before:

After:

Some stuff still needs to be taken off, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
PM me your email address and I will send you the Ford intake removal/installation procedure with pictures.
:tip:
I need to replace my crappy intake manifold because it cracked at the coolant nipple to the heater core. Has anyone performed this install before? I found on AmericanMuscle.com install instructions with additional parts needed at I went to a Ford Dealer locally and they wanted $375 for everything. I found online dealer for almost $200 off that.
The parts are PI intake gaskets, a PI water coolant tube, PI water pump nipple, 180 degree thermostat, thermostat gasket, EGR gasket, Coolant hose from heater core to intake manifold, 16 new O-Rings for the fuel injectors, Alternator bracket, and High Temp RTV sealant.
Are all of the parts absolutly needed? Or, can I use any of the parts from the old intake. I have found intake manifolds online that say, "Includes thermostat, alternator barcket, and all "O" rings and gaskets for installation." Anyone that has made this swap please chime in. The car is an automatic 2001 GT. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help fellas, so I should not have to spend this extra $200 bucks? Just one of the damn heater tubes is $125 alone, the one that goes down the valley. Other parts like the injector o rings are preventative maintainance I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a replacement intake off of Ebay for $50, but it too was broken. I was wondering if I would be able to tap the intake with a pipe thread and use that to connect to the heater core hose. Do you think this would work? Right now I have a universal nipple going into the intake/heater core hose with JBWeld keeping the nipple in the intake manifold. It has held it thus far, but I have not put her sideways or driven her hard at all. I have driven the car about 30 miles in one trip and it did not overheat or leak, I have let it run idle for 30+ minutes with the heat off and on. Normal operating temps, no leaks. I want to see if I could thread one of the two broken intakes that I now have. What do you think? I think it may be a waste of time but hey I have two intakes broken in the same damn spot, if I can fix one or both that would be sweet..

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
IMO, It isn't worth the risk, get a good intake and replace it. If it cracked there, it will probably fail somewhere else and when it does if you are at high speed or sideways you could ruin your engine or wreck you if the coolant finds its way under the back wheels.
Can you patch it? Yes, but the part is too cheap to worry about it failing again.

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
Bubba, PM Sweetstang on here. I know he has one, and I was actually interested in it for some time, while I was thinking/planning on doing a turbo. He had it at a good price!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.