Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what suggestions you guys might have for some intake mods. As you can see in my sig my car is a '03 Mach 1. I would like to open up the intake and plan on staying NA, I will most likely be running a 100-150hp shot of nitrous within a year. As of now I would like to get my intake extrude honed and get a nicer throttle body. From what I have heard NA cars lose power with a single blade throttle body but have heard that the Accufab eliptical throttle body is decent. Maybe I should just go with the BBK 65mm twin? Anyone have any experience on a '99 or '01 Cobra with any of this stuff? Am I just throwing my money away?

Before someone jumps in and tells me to do a bunch of exhaust stuff first I am already planning on getting Kooks longtube headers, with matching catted H-pipe, hooked up to a Borla Catback first. Eventually like in a year or so I plan on upgrading to FR500 cams and maybe do a little port/polishing to my heads while I have them off.

Thanks for any help

Pete

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just got done hand porting an '01 intake. Take a look at this site, he has a lot of good info:

http://shane.roberts.net/cobra.htm

If you want to get it extrude honed, then I suggest you clean it up with a die grinder or something similar first. The extrude hone is nice for the polished runners, but, in my opinion, it doesn't do enough 'shaping' of the entrances/feeder ports.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get your intake ported. Just a few hundred bucks and from what I've been shown on dyno sheets the stock 01' Cobra intake, which I am assuming yours is like, really chokes off the high rpm power w/o porting and runner modification.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have any pictures that show where I would need to port it? I will most likely be sending it out to extrude hone after I port it myself.

Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
Who does the porting of 96-98 intakes? I know about all the different stock intakes, I wanna know who I can send mine too, right now the only one catching my eye is the Hamilton Clarke inake.

Are there any sites with good home porting info with some good gains?

1 thing I don't know. Does the HCI have IMRC's that need deleting?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pauls High Performance for the 96-98. I have one for sale too if you want one........

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just do a search on corral in the modular forum. You'll find out all about the intakes me and joey modified.
Here's a pic of my 10 inch short runner I finally finished and threw on my car. Runs great!

·
Registered
385 Posts
32VHEMIJR- What part of SoCal are you in? How much do you charge to port the intakes?

Darren

·
Registered
105 Posts
I live in Brea, work in anaheim. Sorry but I dont do the intakes anymore. The 2 different short runner intakes I've made were for personal use.....thats not what I would do to other peoples intakes anyway. I charged 300, and what I did wasnt a P&P, really. It was more along the lines of changing angles and increasing radii here and there. When I got tired of doing them, I showed my friend Joey the ropes and he took over for me. He may still be doing them. His email addy is [email protected].
Brent

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about shaping of 96-98 intakes etc... Joey do that?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Naw, he hasnt done any of those.

·
Registered
191 Posts
PHP is modding Mach 1 intakes, I saw two '03 Mach 1's at WFC6 that PHP had tuned, both of which were running 12.20's at 114mph N/A on DR's WITHOUT intake work!!! :jawdrop :jawdrop My understanding is that the Mach intake is different from the 99-01 Cobra's and is the best intake to start with for mods (other than an Fr500). With some intake work, the normal bolt-on's, a gear and a tune, you should be in the mid 11's EASY!!! :evil Give PHP a call, www.paulshp.com ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was actually thinking about sending my intake out to PHP but that guy charges $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Can someone explain to me how it is $1200 to P+P an intake and extrude hone it. I have no problem paying $400 for porting if it is reputable but there is no way it costs $800 to extrude hone an intake. I think last I heard extrude hone was charging $400 to do an intake. I will most likely do it anway but I won't be happy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
All Paul does is polish it out, and extrude hone it . Nothing special. The Mach 1 intake is the same intake as on the '01 cobras and the green dot intakes off the 99's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have no problem paying to play but I hate getting ripped off. As far as the intakes all being the same that is very debateable. The '99's had to be acid ported or extrude honed to flow at all. The '01's we better but needed a little hand porting at Ford before they were installed. I have yet to see the inside of my Mach 1's intake but have heard that it flows better than the '01's. So either Ford is doing even more hand porting at the factory or they are designed or cast better. This whole hand porting thing accounts for the some fast, some slow Cobras and Machs out there. Some run like a$$ and others just walk away.
(not all intakes are created equal)

Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts