Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anybody tried the new IRS bushings that Maximum Motorsports is selling now? I just ordered my suspension components and they said what about IRS bushings. I was not aware they had any and said sure if they are firmer then stock. I know that a few have done the Steeda bushings, but I think these look more solid. Also Steeda's picture shows only 2 bushings and Maximums picture and instructions describe installing 4.

Steeda

Maximum Motorsports

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ordered these yesterday. They will replace the Steeda bushings. I have always found MM to have higher quality parts that usually work better than Steeda or Kenny Brown. However, I seriously doubt on this exchange that I will probably be able to tell a difference due to all of the other changes I have made to date. It is mainly for peace of mind.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the Kenny Brown one's in the car now. It's better, but the problem is not solved. The install was not fun either. The fit is tight, they almost have to be pressed in. DO NOT USE WHITE LITH. GREESE. Next step is to try the shocks I guess.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Judging from the pictures your Steeda bushings are for the front punkin mounts and the MM's are for the front and rear of the whole IRS assembly. Someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BlownCobra said:
I have the Kenny Brown one's in the car now. It's better, but the problem is not solved. The install was not fun either. The fit is tight, they almost have to be pressed in. DO NOT USE WHITE LITH. GREESE. Next step is to try the shocks I guess.
Did you notice a difference and why not use litheum grease? How long did it take? I don't see any bushings for the 03 on the Cobra 03 page are they for the 03 or 99-01? How long did they take to install?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cobrabruce said:
Judging from the pictures your Steeda bushings are for the front punkin mounts and the MM's are for the front and rear of the whole IRS assembly. Someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong...
The MM's are for where the IRS attached to the frame. Here is the installation document.

IRS Suspension Bushings

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
cobrabruce said:
Looks that way to me too. About time someone made some IRS specific urethane bushings for the control arm points.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The Grease warning was due to the polyurethane bushings. I guess KB thought that it was corrosive to their material. I remember the warning appeared in bold type on each page of the instruction sheet.

The install from start to finish took about 3 hours, but that was because I was lying on my back. I think if I were to do it again I would have found a good shop. As for the KB catalog and or website, I called KB, explained my wheel hop problem and they sent me the bushings that look exactly like the Steeda one's you show in your post. They mount to the differential and the differential support bar.

As I understand it, the first IRS Cobra's did not have the support bar at all. Folks who owned those Cobra's had really bad hop. KB and others came up with a Support bar and Poly bushings for the differential. For the 03's, Ford made sure that the bar was added, however the bushings they used were rubber. When I called KB that the story they told me. They would not sell me the whole set including the bar, they said you only need the bushings.

It still hop's, although not as bad but my car is stock. I think this is only one piece in the puzzle. To really beef up the IRS, you will need, some kind of adjustable valving shock, hardened aftermarket 1/2 shafts, or leave the F-1's on and don't leave at more then 2500.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is a very good site about improving the Cobra IRS suspension along with photos on each step.

Linky

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have changed my shocks, Shocks I have found to work super for me . And installed Kenny Brown Bushing kit.
I have no wheel hop, I cant make it hop at all . I will be installing the toe rod kit this week also. After seeing the wheels pull in on the dyno . Also will be installing the sub frame kit . I will keep ya all posted, Nitro

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the best document and pictures I can find on the differential bushings.

PHP Differential Bushings Install

BlownCobra you said you it helped the hop some so I think I will run by Steeda and do this at the same time as the other. My concern is you said it took 3 hrs. If that took 3 hrs then I am worried what IRS support bushings will take.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It took ME, lying on my cold garage floor, with poor lighting and improper tools 3 hours.:eek: Steeda will do it in 45 min.'s.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BlownCobra said:
It took ME, lying on my cold garage floor, with poor lighting and improper tools 3 hours.:eek: Steeda will do it in 45 min.'s.
:lol:

I will be doing mine myself I will just buy the bushings from Steeda. I have the correct tools, but will be on the floor of my garage also. You had a noticeable improvement though correct. thanks for you help.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Too Fast-
Improvment..yes, but not corrected. I am thinking about doing the shocks too. I see your in Fla. I am surprised that you are having problems in such a warm climate. What tire pressure do you run in the rear? In your case, without knowing your mods, you may be able to get away with the bushings and 27 to 28 #'s of tire pressure.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BlownCobra said:
Too Fast-
Improvment..yes, but not corrected. I am thinking about doing the shocks too. I see your in Fla. I am surprised that you are having problems in such a warm climate. What tire pressure do you run in the rear? In your case, without knowing your mods, you may be able to get away with the bushings and 27 to 28 #'s of tire pressure.
I am looking for improvements. We have been colder lately, but I really don't suffer from extreme wheel hop. I am looking to increase both straight line and cornering characteristics of my car. I was running around 28#, but the tires are over inflated I know this because I don't have much tread left in the center of my tires. I deflated them to around 22# and then started having wheel hop. I am doing the IRS bushings so if the differential bushings make a difference I might as well do them also at the same time. After I get everything I bought a MM on I am going to trailer it to get a professional alignment and have my rear tires replaced with 315 nittos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts