Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 Cobra broke half shaft..I like drag racing it...
What do you guys think of,,,????
Swapping my IRS from 03 Cobra to my Mach1 Auto and Putting the Mach1 solid axle in my Cobra...

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
If you do that Uncle Jimmy....make sure you upgrade the carrier and get 31 spline axles. Then I think you will be better off in the long run. Plus then you can get some adjustable control arms to really set her up for straight line.

Dont get me wrong..I know the IRS can be beefed up to handle some power...but to me the solid axle for dragracing is the way to go buddy.

Your 04 Mach 1 will ride and handle better with the IRS and since she will be more of your everyday driver...makes total sense to me.

Sorry to hear about the broken axle stuff....no fun....JDM saved the day.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harry..I just need to chech that all is a direct swap..
Mosler 31 spline axles and Control arms are a must...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Jim, this should be a direct swap. You will have to switch ABS sensors and also fabricate 2 brake lines for the Mach. I would do it if I were you.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cobra99Dave said:
Jim, this should be a direct swap. You will have to switch ABS sensors and also fabricate 2 brake lines for the Mach. I would do it if I were you.
Thank's Dave...It all helps getting prepared..I hate Suprises when we have 2 cars on the lift.......;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Smart idea. The IRS is real nice for a driver. Just don't know how ride height will work out after rear spring swap. Don't know how your coilover rears compare to Mach 250 lb linear rate rear spring.

Our mach's have 600 LB linear rate springs in front with aluminum engine and no blower or IC coolant weight, so don't know how swapping front springs also would work out.

Very interesting idea. Maybe i should find someone around Jake's shop who would like to swap.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ralph..I'l do my homework.I had this swap done before on my 96 Cobra and when you have both cars on 2 lifts it is rather simple..
The Springs and shocks on the Mach ,I would change anyway.I would like to get the Mach1 down a little..

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sounds like a good plan - as long as you don't mind the extra 90+ lbs the IRS will add to your Mach 1... ;)

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Angus said:
Sounds like a good plan - as long as you don't mind the extra 90+ lbs the IRS will add to your Mach 1... ;)
No Problem,,,Some guys carry that extra 90lbs in the drivers seat :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jim--
There are lots of little things that swap. This page may spur some thoughts on the details of the swap.

http://www.lx.net/jlynch/swapprocedure.html

Swap the parking brake cables and ABS cables disconnected from under the rear seat. Also, move the brake lines from the frame fitting out and you won't have to fabricate any brake lines.

You will have to swap the cat back, hangers in front of the axle, driveshafts but keep the front yokes with their respective transmissions.

And then the axle ratios will be different so the speedos will have to be corrected.

But I hope you do it. For the '03 Cobra's sake, LOL.

Joe Lynch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts